Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

light bulbs

• 06-09-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Thats it... the second 'energy saving' light bulb has gone in the last two weeks. They charge a few euros per bulb gauranteeing they last for 10 years so you save in the long run...a load of b@#%&*k
    At the most they have lasted about 3 years.
    I have made up my mind, I am buying the cheaper yet costlier to run in the short term as I think its all a scam.

Burn baby burn.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Turn your electric off at the mains....everyones a winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Thats it... the second 'energy saving' light bulb has gone in the last two weeks. They charge a few euros per bulb gauranteeing they last for 10 years so you save in the long run...a load of b@#%&*k
    I have made up my mind, I am buying the cheaper yet costlier to run in the short term as I think its all a scam.

Burn baby burn.

I thought these were banned years ago, but keep seeing them around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Candle light is very romantic, I suppose ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

hardCopy wrote: »

Burn baby burn.

I thought these were banned years ago, but keep seeing them around.

I know a couple of shady dealers in light bulbs who can fix you up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

By switching off a 60w lightbulb for 6 hours you will have saved enough energy to light a 60w lightbulb for 6 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Yeah I heard the energy saver bulbs are not good for you they emit something toxic causing headaches and other health problems I wont use them in my lamps but have them in overhead lights when they burn out I will go back to the original bulb. but they dont last the ten years as stated its a scam

By switching off a 60w lightbulb for 6 hours you will have saved enough energy to light a 60w lightbulb for 6 hours.

admiralofthefleet, you have blinded me with your mathematical genius, bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Are you using them with a dimmer switch ? Don't think they like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭dasdog

Shops can no longer buy incandescent light bulbs for sale as of last Saturday so you'd want to hurry up. Existing stock can still be sold.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Are you using them with a dimmer switch ? Don't think they like that

No, I don't think the energy bulbs work properly on dimmers, it causes global warming or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

dasdog wrote: »
    Shops can no longer buy incandescent light bulbs for sale as of last Saturday so you'd want to hurry up. Existing stock can still be sold.
    Causing old style light bulbs to become another best seller at your local car-boot sale. "Psst, wanna buy some 100 watters Bud??"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BluesBerry wrote: »
    Yeah I heard the energy saver bulbs are not good for you they emit something toxic causing headaches and other health problems I wont use them in my lamps but have them in overhead lights when they burn out I will go back to the original bulb. but they dont last the ten years as stated its a scam

Do you work in an office or shop?

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

They don't work on dimmers, hang on to the box you buy them in and the receipt if they're guaranteed for 10 years I'd expect no less or else a replacement. Free bulbs for life :D

By the way it's the same with LED down lights 20,000 - 50,000 hours gauranteed bring them back if they fail earlier and they'll replace them with new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Once upon a time incandescent bulbs lasted a lot longer than 10 years, but then some manufacturers decided to become greedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Rude dog and the dweebs...............

Pottler wrote: »
    Causing old style light bulbs to become another best seller at your local car-boot sale. "Psst, wanna buy some 100 watters Bud??"

Might be a good opening here, invest all life savings in old light bulbs and make a tidy profit in the future....probably a better investment than gold....

Might be a good opening here, invest all life savings in old light bulbs and make a tidy profit in the future....probably a better investment than gold....

Let me know how that works out for ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Owen_S wrote: »
    Once upon a time incandescent bulbs lasted a lot longer than 10 years, but then some manufacturers decided to become greedy.

Yep. That's pretty much the case. Those bastards could last for decades if they wanted to make them so.

leeomurchu wrote: »

Let me know how that works out for ya :D

Might not have time....due to the international lifestyle all the trappings will bring...

Might not have time....due to the international lifestyle all the trappings will bring...

Some might say it'll light up your world :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Some might say it'll light up your world :D
    Don't slag, dimmer ideas than that have led to light bulb moments. I think we've spotted a glimmer of light for economic recovery. Watt is the downlight, sorry, downside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The energy saving ones are useless for any room where they're not going to be switched on for long. They don't put out enough light until they heat up. I wonder how many get left on because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭MrGeneric

BluesBerry wrote: »

That is nonsense. They emit heat and light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭SVI40

Have one here still in it's box, 10 year (10000 hour) guarantee. That's less than 3 hours a day usage. Most of them are guaranteed for that amount of usage. So, it's really based on hours used, not longevity. Bit misleading unless you read the small print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

MrGeneric wrote: »
    That is nonsense. They emit heat and light.

Correct. There are plenty of myths around, many due to the tiny tiny amount of mercury used in the energy saving bulbs.

Also, whomever gave them the name 'energy saving bulbs.' is an idiot. They would have sold better if named 'money saving bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/bowie15/bowie151110/bowie15111000060/1g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

I'm only got 6 x 200w bulbs left :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

isn't there a bulb still going from the 1800's?

Skerries wrote: »
    isn't there a bulb still going from the 1800's?

That sounds familiar.

And so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

you mean up until then you could? fuck you dad, he told me they stopped ages ago :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

You're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Energy saving bulbs are the such annoying, pointless pointless things. I thought the point of new technology was to be better than old technology, to make life easier not ****ing harder, but they are just forlack of a better word retarded.

They take ages to brighten up, incandescent bulbs or bulbs which you have to wait for light up, hmm incandescent bulbs. And an incandescent is still brighter IMHO even when the bloody thing does light up.

They don't work with dimmers, my mother but one into our sitting room light, I walked in, turned on the light and nearly had a seizure, it was like the ****test rave ever. Incandescent bulbs don't do that.

They claim to be expensive in the short term but cheaper in the long run, they are not they always blow and what are you going to do, document every hour that they are on so I can take them back if they don't reach the 10000 hours. Incandescent bulbs are MUCH cheaper to buy and last just as long IMHO.

So there really is no upside to them as far as I can see, but yet we all have to buy them because they are "energy saving" even though they fail to match up to the older product in every single way apart from one. Stupidity of the highest ****ing order:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

kowloon wrote: »
    That sounds familiar.

And so it is.

I'm an electrician and speaking from a professional point of view i would love to smash that bulb with a hammer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Energy saving bulbs are the such annoying, pointless pointless things. I thought the point of new technology was to be better than old technology, to make life easier not ****ing harder, but they are just forlack of a better word retarded.

They take ages to brighten up, incandescent bulbs or bulbs which you have to wait for light up, hmm incandescent bulbs. And an incandescent is still brighter IMHO even when the bloody thing does light up.

They don't work with dimmers, my mother but one into our sitting room light, I walked in, turned on the light and nearly had a seizure, it was like the ****test rave ever. Incandescent bulbs don't do that.

They claim to be expensive in the short term but cheaper in the long run, they are not they always blow and what are you going to do, document every hour that they are on so I can take them back if they don't reach the 10000 hours. Incandescent bulbs are MUCH cheaper to buy and last just as long IMHO.

So there really is no upside to them as far as I can see, but yet we all have to buy them because they are "energy saving" even though they fail to match up to the older product in every single way apart from one. Stupidity of the highest ****ing order:mad:

They're energy savers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Prick! wrote: »
    They're energy savers.

As was stated but they fall short in every other way, in my opinion, therefore it is a poor product, and poorer than its predecessor, the lowly incandescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

1210m5g wrote: »
    I'm an electrician and speaking from a professional point of view i would love to smash that bulb with a hammer.

Why would you want to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm surprised anyone needs lightbulbs in Ireland, being as we're all incandescent with rage.:mad:

It does have that smug look to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'll tell you something that will light up your face...

Light bulb eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I'll hold the ladder for you.
    Why would you want to do that?

Because it thinks it's the sh1t compared to other bulbs with its lighting up like it's a good idea or something. Might knock the smile off of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

Energy saving bulbs do last longer, maybe not as long as they claim but all the bulbs in our house are still the original ones after nearly 3 years.

A 100 watt light-bulb used for 12 hours per day would use over 400khw per year (around €60). An energy saving bulb would use a fraction of that.

As the electricity used to power the light bulb comes from the inneficient burning of fossil fuels, the single 100W lightbulb would require 160kg of coal to provide light for the year and produce around 1kg sulfur dioxide, 1kg nitrogen oxide and 100kg of CO2.

They are cost effective, much better for the environment and need changing less often, make your own mind up.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/question481.htm

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

I couldn't agree more.
    bhamsteve wrote: »
    Energy saving bulbs do last longer, maybe not as long as they claim but all the bulbs in our house are still the original ones after nearly 3 years.

A 100 watt light-bulb used for 12 hours per day would use over 400khw per year (around €60). An energy saving bulb would use a fraction of that.

As the electricity used to power the light bulb comes from the inneficient burning of fossil fuels, the single 100W lightbulb would require 160kg of coal to provide light for the year and produce around 1kg sulfur dioxide, 1kg nitrogen oxide and 100kg of CO2.

They are cost effective, much better for the environment and need changing less often, make your own mind up.

You really shouldn't be turning on lights for 12 hours a day. The whole problem that led to the introduction of these awful light bulbs is due to idiots that never turn off lights when they don't need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Finally a bit of sense. :)

I switched over to CFL bulbs house-wide about 6 years ago and would never dream of going back to incandescents, and as with many things if you buy cheap crap it won't last, a good quality CLF does last literally years longer than an incandescent no question whatsoever, and makes a huge difference to the ESB bill. As for amount of light emitted, the ones I have range from 5w (= 25w regular) up to 200w = (1000w regular) so the amount of light you "get" is up to you and your ability to use logic.

I couldn't agree more.

You really shouldn't be turning on lights for 12 hours a day. The whole problem that led to the introduction of these awful light bulbs is due to idiots that never turn off lights when they don't need them.

And you only have one lightbulb in your house? During the winter we would have some form of lighting on in more than one room from around 4pm until hitting the sack.
    If you really think it is worth the additional expense and damage to the environment for the functionality of an old style bulb, and you can source them, then work away.
    If the government chose to ban them, I'd go along with that, or tax them at a rate that makes them unaffordable, great.
    There are some things more important than your dimmer switch. Get over it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And in the summer you don't need to turn any light bulbs on at all...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have a bulb that is on nearly 7000 hours usage (avg 9 hours at night for the last 2 years, evey night).

Am i correct in thinking its better to leave a bulb on, then be switching it on and off, as that uses more power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The whole point of this thread is that we CAN'T make our own minds up, the Euronazis have decided that we must take an evolutionary step backwards to make their carbon books balance.

Next we'll be told to take cold showers and wear wooly jumpers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Never mind your lightbulbs and candles, you will always be replacing them. What you need is a contraption that will save daylight during the day and then you let it back out slowing during the evening.

enda1 wrote: »
    The whole point of this thread is that we CAN'T make our own minds up, the Euronazis have decided that we must take an evolutionary step backwards to make their carbon books balance.

Next we'll be told to take cold showers and wear wooly jumpers!

Right you are. I'm going to read 1984 by the light of my arc welder as an act of defiance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement