Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know any movies/Tv commercials stuffed with slang words?

Options
  • 06-09-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello folks I study English in Poznan, Poland and I'm writing my master thesis about the topic I consciously picked because of my personal interests namely Irish slang and insults/swearings. One of the chapters in my thesis is about application of Irish slang in literature, movies and commercials. I somehow cope with literature examples but cannot handle with movies and TV/newspaper commercials. That's why I'm directing my question to you guys as proud descendants of Irish heritage. I'd like to ask you if you could give me some examples of Irish movies stuffed with Irish slang words/insults and commercials that can be clearly used as examples as I want to carry out analysis of two/three movies and commercials. Moreover, if you could suggest me some written works describing that topics I would be thankful. Kind regards, Mark

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Father Ted maybe?
    Hardybucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

For Dublin slang, look at the commitments, the snapper, the van (they're adapted from novels by roddy Doyle if you're interested), and also intermission, starring Colin Farrell. They all feature the more working class Dublin accent, but they're also great movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mark06

thank you very much for your assistance, I will choose 2 movies from your selection and will try to analyse, my work is eased cause I spent 2 years in Dublin but still Irish slang is a challange for me. regards

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭mongol

I went down and The Guard are based more in the country and Man about dog for the north. Father Ted as above always good.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement