Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Toll Tags

• 06-09-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Im trying to sort out whats the best tag to get for a friend traveling from cavan to dublin probably 4 - 6 times a month. She has to pass two tolls M3 and M50. Any advice on whats the best tag to get.

Thanks a million for any advice giving.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I have an easy trip tag, its very handy - have my account topped up automatically which is very handy.
    And it has parking too, dont use it often but it's handy if u need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

4-6 times a month? I'd be paying cash in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

cash all the way in that case

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In fairness if they are hitting the M50 on a round trip 4-6 times a month then that's 8-12 x 2 rather than x 3 so that saving will negate any charge for a tag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Why cash? Its so much handier with a tag. And cheaper

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    Why cash? Its so much handier with a tag. And cheaper
    Don't you have to pay for the tag and pay a service charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

i do that trip, easy tag with a 30e top up automatically from my account, 10 minutes to set up and if you dont use it you dont get charged, its great, also works on any toll road, so handy when travelling the country from time to time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

colm_mcm wrote: »

Dunno about paying for the tag but the service charge is about €1 per month iirc?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Stheno wrote: »
    Dunno about paying for the tag but the service charge is about €1 per month iirc?
    personally the 1e a month is fine by me for the connivence of the tag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭SVI40

€1 per month administration fee, so 1 trip over the M50 pays for the charge.

• Advertisement

SVI40 wrote: »
    €1 per month administration fee, so 1 trip over the M50 pays for the charge.
    Yes but how much is the tag in that case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I have the eflow post paid tag.

€2 trips on the M50 and normal price everywhere else

Its €1.23 monthly charge but what they do is add up the tolls from the prev month and send you an invoice, a few days later they attempt payment

For me it's much much better than the automatic top up ones but I cant set a billing date with them

It's roughly around 10th of the month it's due

Free if you rent it, you just pay the service charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭SVI40

When I got it, the tag was free, and there is no mention of a charge for the tag on eflow's web site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tag is free. You pay €1 a month rental on the tag. Given you save 50c per trip compared to video registration, it's worth it if you make 2 or more trips per month. (Plus there's the convenience factor).

Stark wrote: »
    Tag is free. You pay €1 a month rental on the tag. Given you save 50c per trip compared to video registration, it's worth it if you make 2 or more trips per month. (Plus there's the convenience factor).

And the express lane joy if you are on any toll apart from the tunnel or the m50

I'm thinking of switching from eflow to easytrip due to the car parking option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭eFlow: Ciaran

Hi guys,

Just some info on tags which may be of some help.

eFlow tags work on all toll roads, you have use of the express lane on all toll roads in Ireland and you get a €1 discount on your M50 toll. The tag has a rental fee of €1.23 a month.

We also have a video account that only works on the M50 and gets you a 50c discount on your tolls

We have 2 options for how to pay for your tolls, pre-paid and post paid. The Pre Paid account take a €40 credit off you and that is used to pay for tolls. This is set to top up automatically when the credit drops below €12. With the post paid option we keep track off all the trips you do in one month and take payment the following month. Payment is taken automatically with both payment options.

Hope that helps,

Ciaran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Hi guys,

Just some info on tags which may be of some help.

eFlow tags work on all toll roads, you have use of the express lane on all toll roads in Ireland and you get a €1 discount on your M50 toll. The tag has a rental fee of €1.23 a month.

We also have a video account that only works on the M50 and gets you a 50c discount on your tolls

We have 2 options for how to pay for your tolls, pre-paid and post paid. The Pre Paid account take a €40 credit off you and that is used to pay for tolls. This is set to top up automatically when the credit drops below €12. With the post paid option we keep track off all the trips you do in one month and take payment the following month. Payment is taken automatically with both payment options.

Hope that helps,

Ciaran.
    Isn't there a 10% service charge on the pre-paid ones every time you use some of the toll gates, like the Limerick Tunnel one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Not with eflow but there is with tolltag.ie AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭eFlow: Ciaran

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Isn't there a 10% service charge on the pre-paid ones every time you use some of the toll gates, like the Limerick Tunnel one?

Hi Tea 1000,

With eFlow tags you pay the same price on the other toll roads as you would if you were to pay the cashier at the toll booth. So there is no service charge applied to individual tolls. There is a tag rental fee of €1.23 a month with eFlow but no service charge on individual tolls.

Hope that helps,
    Ciaran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Im with easy trip and am very happy with it, it works for Q-park also and gives a discount on the M50. It also bleeps when entering a toll booth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the Easytrip (formerly EazyPass) tag, the admin charge is €1.23 p.m. incl VAT. There's no charge for the unit, unless you lose it.

When the battery packs up I drive down to the Eastlink bridge, park on the median and walk up to the office, they will change it there and then for a new tag and there's no charge.

The convenience of being able to drive nonstop through the righthand lane at the M4 and M7 toll stations makes it a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭capefear

Thanks guys for the advice. The reason she is looking to see whats the best one to get is the convenience and also she has a habit of forgetting to pay before 8pm the next day and gets fined €6.00.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Easytrip: Lynn

Just to clarify easytrip have two types of accounts where with one you have to pay an initial fee for the tag and the other you do not.

Hired tag account - Standard Monthly Fee (€1.23 once a month) - No initial fee

Monthly Fee (€0.62 once a month) - initial fee - €30.49

but as you add more tags the cumulative price decreases. Eg. Hired tag account - 2 tags is €2.15 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have the eFlow post-pay tag and it's a no brainer.

€1.23 / month service charge
    Discount on the M50 toll
    Use of express lane on most toll booths
    No need to have change
    No fumbling for change, or looking for receipts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Not with tolltag.ie. They just charge an additional 10% on top of each crossing. As I only use the toll maybe once a month (sometimes I could go months without using one), it works out very handy for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As mentioned above by someone else, I'd recommend the eFlow postpaid one then.

I did that trip for a year every day and had an Easytrip/EasyPass tag previously and the damn thing was forever dipping into my a/c for a top-up. Plus it doesn't let you go under a tenner anyway so that's €10 earning them interest and giving you nothing.

I'm not a fan of pre-pay anyway, be it toll tags, mobiles, Leap cards etc. I rather have 1 bill a month and just pay that. Ditto why I have a fuel card too even though it might work out marginally more expensive vs driving around looking for "cheap diesel"

My 2c anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

I use the m4 toll 2 times a day 7 days a week. Which tag would you recommend and can it be swapped between cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Just to bump this up a bit. I plan on moving house so depending on my final choice I will use the M1, M3 or M4 to commute to Blanchardstown. Am I right in thinking that an eFlow tag would be of no real benefit as I will not use the M50 at any time. Also is there any tag options that can actually save money on the M1, M3, M4, M6 or M7?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just to bump this up a bit. I plan on moving house so depending on my final choice I will use the M1, M3 or M4 to commute to Blanchardstown. Am I right in thinking that an eFlow tag would be of no real benefit as I will not use the M50 at any time. Also is there any tag options that can actually save money on the M1, M3, M4, M6 or M7?

Thanks.

The eFlow tag will work just as well on the other motorways but as far as I'm aware none of the tags offer any discounts on anything other than the M50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Thanks Kaiser. Will have to keep plenty of change so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I have the tag that takes from my phone bill (you can also get it to take from your credit if your pre-pay IIRC). No monthly / setup fees.

Advertisement