Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching on Gaeltacht Summer Courses

• 06-09-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Dia Daoibh!
    Has anyone taught on a 3 week summer Gaeltacht course? Do you know how much they pay or what a fully qualified teacher with 7/8 years experience a primary teacher can expect to earn??

Im imterested in doing it next summer (a long way away I know!) but want to know if its worth while financially after tax etc.

All comments & info appreciated!!
    Go Raibh Míle maith agaibh!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Financially, you'll cover your costs and have a bit over, if you don't hit the pubs each night. There's usually extra money if you check the houses at night to call the rolla. Where do you hope to teach?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Franz Josef

Hi thanks for reply. can u be a little more specific than 'a bit' left over. how much is a bit??!:)

I was hoping for colaiste na rinne in waterford. My parents live within 20 min so can u stay at home & travel in everyday or are u expected to live??

Id have no interest in living in for 3 wks.Also ive no prob with a few trips to the pub but i would be doing it to make money not for the 'craic'!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not sure if the teachers have to live in in An Rinn. If you aren't paying board and minding the dosh-i.e. not out on the tear, you could clear €800 I suppose,allowing for petrol etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Franz Josef

Not sure if the teachers have to live in in An Rinn. If you aren't paying board and minding the dosh-i.e. not out on the tear, you could clear €800 I suppose,allowing for petrol etc.

€800 a week....I assume not?! €800 for the 3weeks?!?
    Pretty crap pay for 3weeks work...?!?! Do people do it for the 'gra' or what?

it's good ol' craic though. Plus you brush up on the Gaeilge.€800 is after petrol etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

are you expected as a teacher in the gaeltacht to live with the other teachers in a house or can you sort your own accommodation individually - I mean i'd prefer to have the freedom of my car, my own accommodation etc.

It depends from place to place,as to whether you live in or not or indeed house share with other teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I used to come out with between €1500 and €1800 net (couldn't give you an exact figure) but as I understand it, we were quite well paid where I worked. We also didn't have to pay for accommodation or food (inside the ample food budget anyway) so it was a cheap three weeks, only having to pay for beer really, and some petrol going to Galway (again, a lot of the petrol was paid for but I tried to avoid putting too much petrol down on the expenses unless it was actually being used primarily for work for the coláiste).

Thought I'd miss it when I stopped but I haven't really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 ciaraofcourse

I'm still in college but I'm a qualified lifeguard & have the Gaeilge so I got a job doing water sports in a colaiste for €300 net a week plus accomodation & meals. Arguably the money is pittance for the amount of responsibility involved, it basically felt like a 24 hour job, and the fact that I got to see my friends & family roughly once every 2 weeks over the course of 8 weeks I was working there. But that said there's not many summer jobs available and I took home all that money bar a few euro spent on a few nights out. I absolutely loved the experience and will probably try to get the same job back next year :) I'm not 100% but I think the muinteors at the same colaiste got about €500 a week.

Advertisement