Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employing ex-self-employed staff. Advice.

Options
  • 06-09-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Good evening,

I am looking for some advice regarding HR in a new enterprise. Having just returned home from abroad, where I have been working for myself and contracted with academies in Spain and Hungary - I have decided to take the plunge and set up a language academy.

I see a major gap in the market, and for the size of my town, I am surprised that there is only one other school (thought I don't know about private teachers).

I'm young enough, and this will be my first (offline) business, I have some experience in the online end of things.

Already have a number of native teachers ready to teach Spanish, German and Russian, with myself to teach English and all we are awaiting is some capital for the office space etc (but that's another story).

My problem starts here; I have only ever worked for myself, but have out-sourced in the past for coding work - but this will be my first time responsible for employees, and no amount of reading is making me feel prepared for it.

Secondly, all of the teachers and the guy I have for marketing and admin have at one stage or another been self-employed, some for 5 years + with their own relatively successful businesses. They all know success and failure.

So how do I prepare myself to employ a team with a larger combined experience and different ideas of how to be in business?

Maybe I'm not phrasing this right, but I'll wait for some answers and clarify if we're on the right track.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Is it the being a "Boss" with direct employees or the actual red tape nightmare and finance worrys of other people relying on you for their livelihood that is worrying you.
    Secondly, all of the teachers and the guy I have for marketing and admin have at one stage or another been self-employed, some for 5 years + with their own relatively successful businesses. They all know success and failure.

make sure that all staff understand that when they are on your paid time that they have to put your business interests as priority and ahead of any other business they may be involved in .
    So how do I prepare myself to employ a team with a larger combined experience and different ideas of how to be in business?

You're the boss. There is no different ideas only yours.Unless theirs is a good one and then claim it as your own:D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Update:

I'm held up on the finance end of things; they're ready to book their flights, and I have students ready ... I'm just struggling to find some capital for some bits and pieces (IKEA desks, printer, a second computer etc).

All ready to go, but looking for some private investment as I'm not home long enough to qualify for a loan from CU or Bank (re-activated accounts 2 weeks back).

On topic: I've found a mentor of sorts, and have a few strategies for dealing with new employees. And you were right, it's the red-tape and paying wages on time that have me worried most.

Advertisement