Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banks with lowest charges? BOI are a joke.

Options
  • 06-09-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi all anyone help me out im moving my accounts from boi as im sick to the teeth of boi charges. 3.80 for 1 page statement! and then they send me out 2 one i didnt need and charged me for it!!5 euro + to cancel a cheque and the got my quarterly fees made my blood boil and iv had enough so im looking for a bank that actually value their customers.Is there such a thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

jakko86 wrote: »
    im looking for a bank that actually value their customers.Is there such a thing?

The short answer is probably no.

As to your other questions: AFAIK Ulster Bank is currently alone in offering unconditional "free" banking, but I wouldn't expect that to last forever.

BoI isn't the worst - at least there is a way to qualify for "free" banking, which won't cost you anything. Not so with AIB.

I imagine all banks will have a charge for stopping a cheque, but wouldn't be able to tell you what it might be, as I haven't even had a cheque book for years.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are you a personal customer? The €5 charge to stop a cheque is only for business customers. If you're a personal customer then write to your branch and ask that it be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

jakko86 wrote: »
    Hi all anyone help me out im moving my accounts from boi as im sick to the teeth of boi charges. 3.80 for 1 page statement! and then they send me out 2 one i didnt need and charged me for it!!5 euro + to cancel a cheque and the got my quarterly fees made my blood boil and iv had enough so im looking for a bank that actually value their customers.Is there such a thing?

I don't think I've ever paid any fees with Bank of Ireland. Once you meet their free banking criteria, then nothing is charged.

As Toots* asked, are your accounts for personal use, or business use?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

hognef wrote: »
    As to your other questions: AFAIK Ulster Bank is currently alone in offering unconditional "free" banking, but I wouldn't expect that to last forever.

UB offer lasts until July 2013 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

BoI isn't the worst - at least there is a way to qualify for "free" banking, which won't cost you anything. Not so with AIB.

Do you not just have to maintain a balance of €2,500 with AIB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

i have two accounts personal and business, cheque was from business and needed 2 statements and they wanted 3.80 for both!! for tow sheets of paper! and dont get me started on my quarterly fees!!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Do you not just have to maintain a balance of €2,500 with AIB?

Indeed. But maintaining a balance of €2500 is not free. It'll cost you the interest on that amount that you could've earnt by placing it in a savings account. Assuming 3% interest rate: €75 per year, less DIRT. Depending on how frequent your transactions are, it might be cheaper to keep only a minimum balance in the AIB current account.

Advertisement