Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe area to let dogs off lead?

Options
  • 06-09-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know a really safe area where I could let my two small dogs off lead for a good run? One in particular simply won't come back when called no matter what I do so it would have to be an enclosed place.
    Would even consider paying for the privilege:)
    I live in Portlaoise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Been looking for an enclosed place myself, best I could find was an old tennis court, which isnt great. A dog park is badly needed in this town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Buy a field.

Buy a field.

You selling a cheap one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Sorry sold my last one this morning to a lizard circus

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Admldj

there is some waste ground up by the IDA business park surrounded by fences its a grand spot for letting the dogs run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

That's good to hear - is it completely enclosed? Would really love to have a place that they could have a good run.
    Thank you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Admldj

yeah pretty much, there is acres of land up there so wont be a problem, ive brought my labs up there for hours at a time and they were grand, so enjoy

Admldj wrote: »
    there is some waste ground up by the IDA business park surrounded by fences its a grand spot for letting the dogs run

I didnt know that place was fenced in actually. Have been up there a few times with the dogs but because its so close to the main road Ive been weary of letting them off the lead.

Be aware of the stinky lake up there, you'd want a biohazard suit on to go near it.

Thanks for your help!
    Went up to the tennis court this evening but there are three large holes in the fence and only two of us so was too nervous to allow them off lead! One of mine is a terrier and she'd find her way out of anywhere:D At least I think she would - have never really had the opportunity to find out properly!
    I would so love to find a safe enclosed area for both my dogs. My terrier is high energy and could walk all day and night, but my other guy is a Shi Tsu cross and he tires easily and can't keep up with her at all. At the moment my OH is walking her and I am walking him, which means we can't all go together and that's what we'd love to do. If they could be off lead she could run herself out and he could potter around at his own pace.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one with a problem like this - but it's not an easy one to solve!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'd love to tell you to take them out to Togher woods,or Oughaval woods, but if they don't come back when you call them,it probably wouldn't be wise.
    Unless you both take the better behaved dog there together and see how ye get on?

We take ours there (minus the leads)and could go walking for up to 2 hours ,so they get lots of exercise.

• Advertisement

I envy you that!
    I love walking mine in the woods too, and take them every year (sometimes twice) on a beach holiday, which they love. But again, I can't allow her off the lead. It breaks my heart as she really needs and loves the exercise, and I hate seeing her so restricted:(
    I have tried teaching recall, believe me, but a headstrong and stubborn terrier is not an easy pupil!!!
    Funnily enough, when we used to take them on holidays with my daughters dogs, she could go off lead on the beach with her son and he always steered her back to us:eek: It was amazing to watch! He would circle her and cut her off when she went too far and then guide her back to where we were:D:D
    However, he now lives in Canada with my daughter so that option is gone now! Unless we move there too;):rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you couldnt use the tennis court. Do you think you might not be giving the terrier enough credit though? My 2 are great up there, never try to get through the fence until we're leaving. In fact I dont think they've even noticed holes in the fence. And we share a common problem in the terrier who wont come back everytime, believe me. She gets better everytime you give her a chance though and she has learned (a bit anyway)from our GSD who has excellent recall.

**Vai**, I will go back to the tennis court when I have another body to bring along! It was just before dusk when we were there as well so not the best time to risk it with her.
    You may be right about not giving her enough credit - but that is what I am trying to find out as well. If I could let her off lead, run like mad till she tires herself, then she might surprise me and come back when I call her. It's just that I haven't had the chance to try her really.
    They both broke out of my garden a couple of months back while I was at work (with a little help from the neighbours kids I think!!) and when I arrived home he was still trotting around outside the house, but she had run away. When I eventually found her, she was completely exhausted and gasping with thirst but still running! That is what I fear - that she would just take off and I'd never catch her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

shazanne just keep perservering with the training. I have two terriers and I thought I'd never get there. I used to envy dog owners who could let theirs off lead.

it took a long time, a lot of frustration and perserverance. I too was scared of losing them. Pick a word - mine is 'here' so they know exactly what you want them to do. Always carry their favourite treat and give them a bit when they come back.

Get a retractable lead for practice. keep calling her back, when she comes back, make her sit, give her a treat and a lot of praise. Never scold her for not coming back. Just keep at it and you'll get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I have a beagle who can't be let off his lead either. I would love to find out if there is an enclosed area in or around Portarlington where I could let him have a run around without getting carried away on an exciting scent adventure and getting lost!

Hi westies4ever - I am so delighted to succeeded in getting your terriers to come back! My lassie is not a food driven dog at all so treats would not tempt her. A squeaky toy is the one thing in life she goes crazy for:eek: and I have brought some of those on walks to see if it will break her concentration. It works to a point, but not enough I feel to guarantee her return to me. I also tried a dog whistle - waste of time:( Someone also told me to start walking in the opposite direction (away from her) and that she would come running - but I am too scared to try that to be honest.
    She is on a retractable lead every time we go walking - one designed for the heaviest dog possible (she's only 12kg) - which gives her loads of scope to potter around and sniff. This is ok in our local park on a regular walk, but in the woods or on the beach etc novelty takes over and she will just pull ahead like a work horse.

genie-us - that's exactly what I want. Just a safe and enclosed place where she can be a "dog" and have doggie fun and I can relax and let her enjoy herself.

Advertisement