Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic competitors from NCD

Options
  • 06-09-2012 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

One of those pub debate questions. Who from NCD has competed at the Olympics? Doesn't have to be for Ireland either once it was the Olympics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Ciara Peelo - Malahide
    Ross Killian - Naul

Both sailing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Ciara Peelo - Malahide
    Ross Killian - Naul

Both sailing.

What Olympics?

In before LeoB, Richard Flynn(Rush and now Courtlough) Montreal 1976, Shooting Mixed Trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

What Olympics?

Ciara Peelo - Beijing 2008. Was the Irish flag bearer for the Opening Ceremony.

Ross Killian - Athens 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Martyn Irvine, not from NCD, lives in Walshestown though. track cycling 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

Dick Hooper from Raheny ran the Marathon in three Olympics 1980, 1984 & 1988

Not NCD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Ray von wrote: »
    Dick Hooper from Raheny ran the Marathon in three Olympics 1980, 1984 & 1988

Not NCD!

And his brother, Pat Hooper, Marathon, Moscow, 1980

He's also not NCD.:rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In addition to Martyn Irvine, Fingal had 2 other representatives in London this summer, sailors David Burrows and Scott Flanigan - don't know if either or both were born in Fingal though

Beasty wrote: »
    In addition to Martyn Irvine, Fingal had 2 other representatives in London this summer, sailors David Burrows and Scott Flanigan - don't know if neither or both were born in Fingal though

Well lets just qualify them on long term residency, I doubt many of us here can claim birth in Fingal, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

What Olympics?

In before LeoB, Richard Flynn(Rush and now Courtlough) Montreal 1976, Shooting Mixed Trap.

No your not we cover this about a year ago:D. Think the thread was Fingal sporting hero's

Paul Opperman Seoul 1998 athletics possibly earlier. Not from the area but lived here for a while.

Matt Sands deserves an honourable mention as he would have been an olympian but for a split in sports bodies. Dont know exact details but he was quite bitter about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Cant find the thread we had but I remember Harry Reynolds mentioned in it. Fingal sporting hero or something like was the title

• Advertisement

LeoB wrote: »
    No your not we cover this about a year ago:D. Think the thread was Fingal sporting hero's

Paul Opperman Seoul 1998 athletics possibly earlier. Not from the area but lived here for a while.

Matt Sands deserves an honourable mention as he would have been an olympian but for a split in sports bodies. Dont know exact details but he was quite bitter about it.

Seoul was 1988 and lets keep it to people who went to the Olympics LeoB otherwise the thread goes off on a tangent.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LeoB wrote: »
    Cant find the thread we had but I remember Harry Reynolds mentioned in it. Fingal sporting hero or something like was the title
    Harry was World Track Cycling Champion in 1896 but AFAIK never went to the Olympics

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Harry was World Track Cycling Champion in 1896 but AFAIK never went to the Olympics

Harry was refused selection because of the politics of the time. Went to the worlds again an won Bronze then turned pro and rode events all over the world.

Burried in Balrothery after dying in 1940.

Cycling was not unique but from independence was fractured into various different bodies which were often not recognized by the IOC, hence upt to 1978 a limited number of cyclists competed in the Olympics.

Sonny Cullen. He seems often overlooked locally. I think his family still lives in Rush.

Rome 1960 Individual Men's Road Race

Sonny in the middle.
    TeamPic.jpg

Full story of 1960 Irish Cycle team.
    http://www.muse-ette.com/2010/02/rome-olympics-50-years-on-part-1.html

Sonny Cullen. He seems often overlooked locally.
    The Irish Veteran Cyclists Association put on an annual race in memory of Sonny Cullen. This year's race was last Sunday - alas I only just managed a top 20 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There was a lad from a year ahead of me in school from malahide who skid iirc (and I may not). O Connor was his surname. Can't remember his first name.

Advertisement