Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suitable contraception for my situation

Options
  • 07-09-2012 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

How are ye all getting on, im new to this so please go easy :) im nearly 18 and my girlfriend is currently 18. we have been going a few months now and to be honest sex has come across my mind a few times :o and no its not the fact that i want to just go straight for sex, its just when the time would come whether it be tomorrow or next year, i would like to know what contraception would be best and how effective it would be. If we do go at it sometime in the future i have durex elite condoms ( i am ware that they can go out of date and heat damages them) but for my girlfriend im more concerned about. would the morning after pill work fine? i was told the quicker and after sex you take it the more effective it is??:confused: i dont know..:confused: and theres the other pill you need the prescription its just that would cost abit of money and be reall hard to try and get an appointment? and would that pill be more effective than the morning after one? thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Don't schools give sex education any more?

Have a look at the appropriate articles at this link. Should be everything you need to know and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tmboy95

Well we got taken out for a "talk" last year, but it was more or less telling us to wait till we are married. They might tell us yet , i was just basically wondering which pill would suit my girlfriend more if we were to go that far. im not gonna rush into anything :)

oh ya, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

The morning after pill is only to be used in an emergency! i.e. after the condom breaks. It is not to be relied on as a usual form of contraception. There are several websites out there that I would recommend you read carefully.

Here's one: http://www.thinkcontraception.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

the morning after pill is an emergancy contraception, its not suitable for everyday use. your girlfriend should visit her gp, there are many choices such as, the pill, the mini pill, implant, injection, patches.
    But only condoms prevent STDs :) you should probably use condoms as well as another form of contraceptive, such as the pill to prevent unwanted pregnancy.
    So best off to get your GF to make an appointment with her GP, and once shes over 16, anything she may discuss with her GP is completley confidential
    Good Luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The morning after pill is an emergency contraceptive.

No contraceptive is guaranteed 100% effective at all times but used correctly condoms are as good as anything.

Buy a pack and practice putting them on if you have never used them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

tmboy95 wrote: »
    Well we got taken out for a "talk" last year, but it was more or less telling us to wait till we are married. They might tell us yet , i was just basically wondering which pill would suit my girlfriend more if we were to go that far. im not gonna rush into anything :)
    Seriously? Thats not just bad education its actually pathetic. Schools should be focusing on facts not trying to impose their societal views on others. There is nothing wrong with sex as long as you take precautions. Preferbly you would use condoms and her the ordinary pill for the best safety.

thanks, that was helpful info on that website :)

ya, well to be honest it was some crowd who came in and gave it to us. we had to travel to a local hotel to receive it! no not much else has been said by our actual school now or no one has come in. who definately, if we do go ahead i do plan to use condoms and pill. Sorry if im replying in the wrong places and what not :o im fairly new to this

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Seriously? Thats not just bad education its actually pathetic. Schools should be focusing on facts not trying to impose their societal views on others. There is nothing wrong with sex as long as you take precautions. Preferbly you would use condoms and her the ordinary pill for the best safety.

Welcome to Irish schools. A decent sex education is a very rare thing in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

If she is thinking about going on the pill she will have to visit her GP who will recommend one for her based on her lifestyle/history.

It really is trial and error finding the right pill. What might work for one girl might send your girlfriend off on the crazy train.

Just remember the pill isn't fool proof either, it must be taken regularly, generally around the same time every day and different things such as antibiotics and vomitting/diahorria may affect how reliable it is. Its always a good idea to be super careful, and have a back up plan.

thanks Sarah Bear, oh it would not be that easy though. im after getting alot of info on the different pills here and when the time comes il talk to her and we can sort it out and il know just as much about the pill as her if not more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Indiansun

It sounds from your post that you havnt discussed this with your girlfriend yet. If your not active yet then carry a condom in the event of it happening. If & when it happens and your both nervous then yeah the morning after pill could be used as back up on that occasion . Not sure if it's over the counter yet , if it is yee won't have the expense of a dr's visit. Once yer active - then yee can discuss the options. As other post says , every1 is diff & some types don't agree with some people with regard to mood swings , weight gain etc. As with young girls , if she has probs remembering taking it - will result in higher risk of pregnancy . Maybe dr would recommend the bar in her arm - I think this is the preferred type with young girls

If she is thinking about going on the pill she will have to visit her GP who will recommend one for her based on her lifestyle/history.

Just remember the pill isn't fool proof either, it must be taken regularly, generally around the same time every day and different things such as antibiotics and vomitting/diahorria may affect how reliable it is. Its always a good idea to be super careful, and have a back up plan.
    say she was on the pill and then she got sick (lets jus say a stomach bug) and started vominating. what would be best thing to do in a situation like that? before anything happens we will talk bout it and our options and be as safe as can be :)

If she's vomiting - the pill is not as effective so yee would need to take extra precaution 's - condom also . Also if she's on an antibiotic at any stage - this effects the pill also. All scenario 's will be in the information pack with the pill . But remember nothing is a hundred per cent !!!

Indiansun wrote: »
    It sounds from your post that you havnt discussed this with your girlfriend yet. If your not active yet then carry a condom in the event of it happening. If & when it happens and your both nervous then yeah the morning after pill could be used as back up on that occasion . Not sure if it's over the counter yet ,
    we kinda have talked bout it, just the different types of contraception. the morning after is over the counter at the moment i think, its the other pill u stay on for so many weeks and then off for a week, you need the prescription for that as far as i know. ah we both had idea of what was there, more so her about the pill so i said id find out too. i thought what harm in coming on this and finding out other peoples thoughts and opinions :) proved very helpful :D

Indiansun wrote: »
    If she's vomiting - the pill is not as effective so yee would need to take extra precaution 's - condom also .
    a condom goes without saying for me :D
    taking no chances

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You both should go to see her GP, or go with her to a well woman centre. Those places are very informative and they will be able to advise both you and your girlfriend about the best protection available. There are lots of options for your girlfriend (pill, mini pill, coil, diaphragm, nuva ring) but for you, it's a rubber hat. As already mentioned, the morning after pill is just for emergencies. It won't be necessary if you are both using contraception as its unlikely that both will fail. Your girlfriends prescription will be every 3 months typically and she will have to see her GP or the doctor at the centre to renew it. A visit will be around €50 and the pill costs around €40 per month (might be less), but it's way cheaper than having a kid. Talk about it, plan it and be prepared. You'll be glad you did.

You sound very responsible , fair play to you. You should take your own precaution 's yeah. I'm sure yee get student prices for dr , but if the dr charge is a problem - maybe the family planning clinic could be cheeper - could be worth ringing up & finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure the woman puking stops the pill from working for a week.

• Advertisement

Anything that effects the pill working - Id say ud need to take extra precautions for the rest of the cycle - as in that pill pack. After her 7 day break as in when she gets her period. She will start a new pack for 21 days - she'll be save then again as long as she takes properly & nothing happens to reduce its effectiveness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Is your girlfriend in school or college? She might have access to a guidance counselor or nurse who can give her information, and she can pay to see a GP then if she wants to get a prescription or injection.

As for cost, every pill is different. The one I was on before was about €4 a month. You can get a prescription for up to 6 months.

Advertisement