Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore ring road

Options
  • 07-09-2012 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Congratulations to the utter clown who decided to give the go ahead to rip up the road the day the holy cross went back to school. Is there a monkey at the wheel in the council. They did the same 2 weeks ago in elm park when the secondary schools went back to school. This country amazes me sometimes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

At the same time it was mind boggling how many parents found it necessary to drop their no so little dears at the actual gates of the secondary schools. A lovely bright day, and mid-teens had to be driven down Pond Road etc, creating totally ridiculous traffic jams pretty well everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

what bout the road works outside glor na mara on the first week of school. the noise was utterly ridiculous but i noted they became quite during collection times. on some kids first few days of school, what memorys will they be left with.....the noisyness of it all. there was also the road works that happened outside the secondry schools during the leaving and junior cert exams.
    do the council hate children?! they have had 9 weeks of summer to do this, were they all off on their holidays?!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

looksee wrote: »
    At the same time it was mind boggling how many parents found it necessary to drop their no so little dears at the actual gates of the secondary schools. A lovely bright day, and mid-teens had to be driven down Pond Road etc, creating totally ridiculous traffic jams pretty well everywhere.

Have to drop at the gate in the holy cross though because the kids are so young

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Think about what you are winging about before you post.

You can't lay a road surface in the rain. Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

You wouldn't see that road being surfaced on polling day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Ah grow up the road had to be fixed as the pot holes in it we getting bad. You are never going to have a time when everyone is happy

Common sense would tell you not to do it when the schools are back

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Have to drop at the gate in the holy cross though because the kids are so young

No argument about that, its the fragile 13 to 17 year olds I was talking about.

Also no argument about them fixing the roads, but the confusion caused by the closed roads was not helped by the solid mass of cars jamming up the other roads around the area.

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Common sense would tell you not to do it when the schools are back

And if they had dug up the road at another time you would be whining about that and saying they should do it at night.

My estate comes out onto the ring road, i have to bring my child to crèche on the ring road and to be honest the 1 day of disruption was irrelevant, it added maybe 2 minutes to the run.

The work needed to be done, and now it is done. And amazingly life goes on.

Actually night work would be wrong in a residential area so you presumed wrong

Think you are missing the point entirely for the sake of an argument. They had all summer to do this but chose to do it the day the school went back. If you think this is a rant for the sake of it then you are mistaken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

invalid wrote: »
    Think about what you are winging about before you post.

You can't lay a road surface in the rain. Period.
    Not true

Well I've been involved in a few road resurfacing jobs in my time, and this I know.

If you can't lay it right the first time you shouldn't lay it at all. The disaster a few years ago on the Tramore road is an example of that, and that was a relatively simple Surface Dressing job.

invalid wrote: »
    Well I've been involved in a few road resurfacing jobs in my time, and this I know.

If you can't lay it right the first time you shouldn't lay it at all. The disaster a few years ago on the Tramore road is an example of that, and that was a relatively simple Surface Dressing job.

I've often seen roads being laid in the rain. The motorway between mullinavat and Knocktopher was being repaired this evening in the rain as I passed it. It pissed down most of the time the orr was being built. The surface on the Tramore road when first laid wouldn't have worked in the desert where it never rains, that was just another balls up as usual

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Afaik rain does have complications for road development. A number of roads were delayed, including the one in Waterford by Ballybeg, because of the weather. It might also be an issue with getting contractors within the time frame.

Odd that they have completed resurfacing in one section of the ring road while just a few meters away from it the road is still bad with potholes.

Advertisement