Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobile phone company in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Which do you think is the best mobile phone company in Ireland? Comment on specific strengths and weaknesses too, if you like, e.g. network, price, customer service, data charges, etc.

Which do you think is the best mobile phone company in Ireland? 82 votes

48 Months
    0% 0 votes
    eMobile
    4% 4 votes
    Meteor
    6% 5 votes
    O2
    21% 18 votes
    postfone
    15% 13 votes
    Tesco
    1% 1 vote
    Three
    10% 9 votes
    Vodafone
    39% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭GIMP

Tesco are very good and suit my current needs. On 35e a month sim only deal. Strengths......Good coverage, good customer care, competitive plans. Weakness..... Frequent tech issues, data speeds need increasing, handset choices are poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

I'm currently with Vodafone for phone and Three for internet but I always end up back at my O2 roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am with 3, very happy with them, I love the all you can eat data, love that I don't have a set figure of texts per month (as I am not a texter) and can use all my units on calls.

Great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Self Made

Thanks for the votes and comments. To my surprise there's a runaway winner. I see I missed some MVNOs, though they probably wouldn't get many votes. There's a good list of them on Wikipedia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Meteor, i rarely have signal issues. I get free meteor texts, calls and 1gb datat a month for €20, they also send me the odd free 5er credit (haven't a clue why though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Self Made

Which ones are good/bad for tethering/using as a hotspot?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Meteor.
    Allways friendly and helpful in the stores and on the phone with customer service.
    Have 5 phones with un-limited free talk and texts to each other and other Meteor users and internet connections for very low monthly fees. And if one is abroad practically free calls. Also find them willing to haggle a little over special offers..
    No plans to change yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Extremely happy three customer here. All you can eat data, 350 flexiunits, and because I bought my iPhone before January 1st 2012 I can tether it so I get all my Internet including that for my laptop and iPad for €40 a month. Lots of people complain about customer service but I find it grand TBH, the only thing I would like is if he Internet connection was a little bit less congested but in fairness its only midland and you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Have been with O2 (for 13 years) great cc but awful prices now. Was with three too. Very happ with price and CC wasn't bad. Now with meteor. Extremelyy happy with price (200mins and 200sms, free meteor to meteor calls and texts and 1GB data) of 15 euro per month. Their CC via twitter is very good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

That was a special offer a while back i think, monthly bill pay

I think it was 15+vat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yep. It was a special offer up until may I think. It includes vat although the exact amount is: 15.32 I think (the increase in VAT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Id say 3 just because of the fact that if your on the €40.66 per month flex plan you can use your units and data when roaming which is great, the downside is the bloody Indian call centre absolute nightmare.

Meteor is the single worst customer service ive ever come across 7 years with them for 5 1/2 they were fine then went to the bloody dogs, had a bad experience with o2 as well so pushed them aside, Tesco customer service was ok but data too slow, years since ive been with Vodafone so cant comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Ken bryan

Meteor is great for the older gen . Me ma has unlimited calls for 30 euro
    Prepay . She one the phone most of the day lol .
    I am on 3 all you can eat data .No hassel with bills

Their loyality dep in Waterford .
    A Joy to deal with .
    Ps Not from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

O2. Never had a problem with them. 20 quid a month for free 02 calls and texts. Don't need any more than that. I use Wifi mostly so don't need an internet plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm with 3 and I'm happy with their service. I know their cc gets a pasting on boards but I don't have to ring them all that often. I'm a big texter and on prepay I get 3000 texts to any network and don't even go through all of them but it's reassuring to know they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I've been a personnel customer with Vodafone and Meteor. Vodafone were fine to deal but Meteor customer service was terrible. I am a business customer with Vodafone and 3. Vodafone customer service is fine but 3 are terrible to deal with. Trying to sort out invoices issues etc.with a call centre in India is just head wrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tomred1 wrote: »
    I am a business customer with Vodafone and 3. Vodafone customer service is fine but 3 are terrible to deal with. Trying to sort out invoices issues etc.with a call centre in India is just head wrecking.

If your on 3 business your customer care is in Ireland not India. Your on a consumer not business plan if your getting through to India.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

tomred1 wrote: »
    ... Vodafone customer service is fine ...

:eek::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Am with Tesco for the last 6 months, and previously with O2 / Digifone since it was launched back in '97. Left them due to gratuitously escalating costs. Tesco are very competitive with their pricing, absolutely no doubt on that. However I've experienced far more reliability issues with them since joining than I did with O2 / Digi in the last 15 years. Data speeds are slow compared to others but acceptable most of the time - assuming of course that it is working when you want to use it. If these reliability gremlins persist then I will move on to another network. There's no point paying good € for something if doesn't work when it's supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

I'm currently with Meteor, having moved from 3 in the last few months. Meteor and 3's customer care are on a par I think. Not great if anything goes badly wrong but pretty ok for the most part on basic customer service questions like roaming and price plans.
    I moved to Meteor on a sim only bill pay plan. €20 for 200mins, 200 texts, free Meteor calls and texts plus 1GB of data. Can't go far wrong. The only disadvantage I find is that you can't use mins/texts from your bundle while roaming.
    I had the iPhone 3GS with O2 but I found them to be far too expensive at the time. If memory serves me correctly, I think it was €65pm for 350mins and 250 texts. Oh yeah, and there upgrade offers are useless! Silver and Gold are generally a waste of time. Better off porting out of O2 and resigning up as a new customer after a month

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

If your on 3 business your customer care is in Ireland not India. Your on a consumer not business plan if your getting through to India.

Its to do more with payments/invoicing than technical issues, the people you answer and call me back definitely have Indian accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

O2. Never had a problem with them. 20 quid a month for free 02 calls and texts. Don't need any more than that. I use Wifi mostly so don't need an internet plan.

Same here.
    My problem is though that most people i call are on O2 so i now have over €300 call credit built up.
    Wish they allowed me to buy a phone with call credit.

Advertisement