Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media vultures broadcasting funerals

• 07-09-2012 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Why do the media feel justified in broadcasting coverage of tragic funerals? It’s utterly tasteless and the nation has no need to hear a distraught father eulogise his son - as in the Charleville case ‘featured’ on RTE news this evening. Have reporters and photographers no shame in gawping at parents standing over coffins and fixing microphones in churches to hear the gulps of grief?

This horrible intrusion occurs when families are vulnerable and in shock. I know of a family who endured a terrible tragedy and afterwards said they felt under siege by the media. Of course, the reporters only refer to the ‘close knit family’ supported by the ‘strong community’ as if it were perfectly normal to have these vultures watching and recording.

Personally, and I’m sure I’m in the majority here, when a family suffers a tragedy I do not need to see their tears to confirm that they are in great distress. The fact of a death may be newsworthy; picking at the bones of a shattered family is just sick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

When my Uncle was killed, the media were all over the funeral, tried to invade the family's privacy. I wanted to beat the snot out of them, trying to get inside, waiting around with cameras and shit. It's pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

That’s the sorry state of it. I read a book by a photographer once who noted that in such circumstances the vast majority of his pics showed people shouting angrily at his camera but the images which are printed are those in which the families are all looking away (as if the camera wasn’t there) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

That's the media for you. They live by the mantras of:

"If it bleeds, it leads"

"There's no news, like bad news"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Voracious morbid fascination of the public - the meeja sates the appetite. The public gets what the public wants but I want nothing this society's got - I'm going underground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

TV3 will probably throw out a thousand shows before Christmas, to do with Michaela McAreavey..

It sells, and they could not care who they hurt by returning to it again and again and again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

RubyRoss wrote: »
    Why do the media feel justified in broadcasting coverage of tragic funerals? It’s utterly tasteless and the nation has no need to hear a distraught father eulogise his son - as in the Charleville case ‘featured’ on RTE news this evening. Have reporters and photographers no shame in gawping at parents standing over coffins and fixing microphones in churches to hear the gulps of grief?

This horrible intrusion occurs when families are vulnerable and in shock. I know of a family who endured a terrible tragedy and afterwards said they felt under siege by the media. Of course, the reporters only refer to the ‘close knit family’ supported by the ‘strong community’ as if it were perfectly normal to have these vultures watching and recording.

Personally, and I’m sure I’m in the majority here, when a family suffers a tragedy I do not need to see their tears to confirm that they are in great distress. The fact of a death may be newsworthy; picking at the bones of a shattered family is just sick.

I suggest you look through After Hours.

The best detectives, juries and Judges you'll ever see. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The media are not the vultures.

Their voyeuristic customers - the general public who buy the papers and watch the shows -are the vultures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Allyall wrote: »
    TV3 will probably throw out a thousand shows before Christmas, to do with Michaela McAreavey..

It sells, and they could not care who they hurt by returning to it again and again and again..
    Surely it'll be just the one show, televised 1000 times under 1000 different titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

It's pretty easy to make them stop, but we're all so-so busy (lazy)
    Try this tonight when you're watching the news....take note of all the advertisers that advertise before and after the news and during any breaks in the middle.

Email or call all of these brands and tell them it's disgraceful that rte/tv3 are showing images of funerals and that you won't buy their products as they advertise during the news and must condone such acts.
    Write to rte and tv3 too to complain.
    If enough people do this they'll stop from the pressure advertisers put on them.

easy as that, but nobody will do it coz everyone is 'too busy' with kids/school/work/studying/out drinking/playin in their ipads etc etc.
    We complain and complain and do jack **** about it.
    :rolleyes: Sure 'tis the Irish way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A lot of the public want to see it so these ghouls provide it.

It's a part of human nature: some of the busiest threads here are about tragedies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

The media here have turned into moral less vulture's in my mind.

Even the metro had a picture of the Dad of the Charleville child crying outside his house, barely hours after the news was broadcast.

I mean what type of human being can take out their camera and take a picture of a man like this going through the worst moments of his life?

And then what type of person can agree that this is appropriate material to publish in their newspapers or put on TV?

Honestly these people are disgusting excuses for human beings and they can try and justify it anyway they want, they are scum in my eyes for trying to profit (which is what they are doing) from someone else's misfortune.

It's pretty easy to make them stop, but we're all so-so busy (lazy)
    Try this tonight when you're watching the news....take note of all the advertisers that advertise before and after the news and during any breaks in the middle.

Email or call all of these brands and tell them it's disgraceful that rte/tv3 are showing images of funerals and that you won't buy their products as they advertise during the news and must condone such acts.
    Write to rte and tv3 too to complain.
    If enough people do this they'll stop from the pressure advertisers put on them.

easy as that, but nobody will do it coz everyone is 'too busy' with kids/school/work/studying/out drinking/playin in their ipads etc etc.
    We complain and complain and do jack **** about it.
    :rolleyes: Sure 'tis the Irish way.

Shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Shut up.

Insightful post, tell us more

Insightful post, tell us more

It came to me in a dream. I was standing on my toilet, hanging a clock, and I fell and hit my head on the sink. And that's when I came up with the idea to tell Matt to shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I'm a very good friend of the Ward family, and am personally heartbroken over what has happened to Anthony. I have been with them over the past few days and YES, I can confirm that they are in terrible pain, and the media intrusion has made it a lot worse. To be met by a bank of photographers when trying to bury a child that you loved is very hard.

The media were asked politely on numerous occasions to leave them in peace, but this has not done been done. The journalists will do anything for a story, and because they have not been given a one, they have just made it up and printed/broadcast it anyway.

Don't believe everything you read!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

I too know of a high profile murder case that was, and still is, covered by the media.

My friend, a direct relative of the victim, only last week said to me that the editor of the evening herald has no shame what so ever and cares nothing what so ever about the victims. Becuause it's not the victims that pay his wages, its the victims that subscribe to his/her tripe.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The media are not the vultures.

Their voyeuristic customers - the general public who buy the papers and watch the shows -are the vultures.

That’s an odd deflection of guilt from the media and a false comparison between people who camp outside houses for a living and people who turn on the evening news or buy a daily paper.

Of course, many people read the headlines but if the story wasn’t printed or shown on the news, they would not take themselves down to the graveyard to film the funeral.

The media are the vultures – in the sense of preying on victims. They then dress this activity up as news and blame the consumers when the morality of their actions are questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

RubyRoss wrote: »

Newstalk had it on the hour, every hour and I thought why would anybody want to hear it. It is awful and should be outlawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Shut up.

wtf is your problem?

wtf is your problem?

The doctor slapped my arse and it was all downhill from there.

• Advertisement

xxyyxx wrote: »
    Newstalk had it on the hour, every hour and I thought why would anybody want to hear it. It is awful and should be outlawed.

I've emailed the news director (johnkeogh@newstalk.ie) to complain about it. As someone wrote earlier, without registering complaint this behaviour will go on.

wtf is your problem?

Did you read his username?

Advertisement