Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work during nov-feb months...

Options
  • 07-09-2012 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just a quick question for anyone who has been here for a while. My current contract finishes at the end of november and in afraid i wont be able to pick up any more work until february. Does hiring really grind to a halt between nov-feb? I have had a few rec agencies tell me i wont have a chance geting work in nov/dec due to everyone being on hols. So i suppose this is for anyone who was arond last year and noticed a difference. Im in Sydney by the way. Any info much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Depends what area you're in.

I know a few people who struggled to get work over Nov, Dec and Jan but they were in construction/engineering.

I myself had a ball of interviews at the end of Nov and started my current job at the start of December.

I work in online media if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ok, i would be looking for i.t support contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

You may get lucky so.

Depending on what area you specialize in, if they are open during the holidays etc

Definately start applying ASAP though and state on your covering letter when you are available from.

In case you haven't noticed already...HR tends to move a lot slower over here and it may take them anywhere between a few days and a few weeks between submitting your resume and being called for an initial interview ;)

Best of luck!

Oh yes i do know!! Thanks Batgurl :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

December is not a complete write-off maybe just the last few days before holidays, as for January is practically shuts down until after the 26th.

It all depends on the job, I find the applying for jobs and interview process to be very drawn out over a couple of months anyway. My last job application started at the start of October and I only got offered the Job on 23rd December. If they hadn't made the decision by Xmas then it could have easily slipped into February as most of the Heads would have been on their holidays.

• Advertisement

Thanks mandrake, ya i dont see many 6 or even 3 month contracts popping up lately. Ideally wanted something to bring me through to xmas at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

HR surely does move slowly here, I got a reply today for a job I applied for back in January!

haha thats crazy,they are painfully slow though...dont go to brisbane they are even worse up there!

Advertisement