Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rodriguez in The Button Factory

Options
  • 07-09-2012 9:12am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what is happening with this gig?

Got an email from Ticketmaster saying he was playing the Button Factory on the 27th November and that the tickets were going on sale at 9am this morning.

Nothing is showing up on either Ticketmaster or the Button Factory?

Has the gig being cancelled?

EDIT: FOUND THE TICKETS ON ticket.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

Yeah I picked up a couple of tickets this morning. Seen him in Whelan's in 2009 and he was fantastic, sounds the same now as he did in the early 70s!

https://www.tickets.ie/event.aspx/tickets/rodriguez-the-button-factory-dublin-27-November-2012/Y7MN7

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

Only spotted this gig from browsing through forum. Never heard of him until the film but chance to see him live seems too good to pass up!

Not too familiar with button factory, presume it will just be standing for gig like this? Heard before they have seated gigs there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

elderberry wrote: »
    Only spotted this gig from browsing through forum. Never heard of him until the film but chance to see him live seems too good to pass up!

Not too familiar with button factory, presume it will just be standing for gig like this? Heard before they have seated gigs there

Depends on demand really,there are some seats at the back on leather couches if your there early, also the balcony looks like its seated (not always open for gigs though)

got email saying this gig has been moved from button factory to vicar street
    Rodriguez
    Vicar St
    Tue 27/11/12
    20:00

PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE

This event has been moved from The Button Factory and will now take place in Vicar Street.

ALL tickets remain valid and are unreserved ground floor seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

This is gonna be a great gig on Tuesday :)

• Advertisement

CiaranK wrote: »
    This is gonna be a great gig on Tuesday :)

yeh it's sold out, looking forward to it too!

He played a few gigs in London recently, didn't hear any reports but here's a clip of him on Jools Holland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEWG4ffkpfQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

ground floor is unreserved seating tonight so no standing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Doors open at 7 btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That was a brilliant gig, apart from the dickhead up in the balcony.

Rodriguez himself seemed to be pretty shy at the start, but got into the crowd interaction pretty well, plays awesome guitar for a man of 70, was clearly never out of practice.

Glad to have seen him live, I think he said he was cming back in Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Just one dickhead in the balcony? Have to say as much as the crowd loved him, clapped, cheered and gave standing ovations, there were too many hecklers all over the venue. The man had to be ushered on and off stage (due to bad arthritis I think) and if he took off a jacket or shirt there was constant heckles to take it all off. He's a very shy, 70 year old man not ****ing Bressie. It was embarrassing that it was so bad that someone had to roar back from the balcony that Rodriguez was not a Chippendale. At least he took it in his stride and played a great show.

8225770899_be5a780c73_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Must admit, I thought the shout from the balcony was a heckle towards Rodriguez about being a chippendale, as did the people around me it seems. That's why the booing happened I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

On another note, wasn't Lisa O'Neill absolutely fantastic? I laughed loads and her quirky voice soon became endearing.

He's a very shy, 70 year old man not ****ing Bressie.

Spot on but I say a lot of crowd had only seen him through the film and were reacting like they would at any other gig. Some of the breaks between songs were quite long which will always bring out the heckles. The nutter on the balcony had a point but you don't scream it out to the whole venue in the middle of the gig, surprised they didn't bounce him straight out the door!

Really enjoyed it overall, agree about Lisa O'Neill too. Saw her support John Spillane last year and she's totally changed her style and set.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Great show, really great show. You would never think he was 70 looking at him. It's his eyesight that is pretty bad so he has to be led on and off stage. He's alot fitter than me by the look of it and he is 52 years older than me :P
    Setlist was great, so many great songs. Wasn't expecting Elvis and Dylan. They were a nice surprise.
    Crowd loved him. The booing, from what I got from it, was cause one man who i'm guessing was older than alot of the crowd shouted 'Give him some f**king respect, get your top off where do you think you are, he's 70, for f**k's sake' or something along them lines. Which I agreed with a bit because some of the shouting got a bit much at times but it was more his manner I think that got the boo's. But enough about that.
    There was such a mix in the crowd too of young and old. Just shows that great music has no real genre or age group. I met a group in there from Sweden. They seen the trailer for the movie last week, never had any albums or anything and flew out to Dublin just for the gig. More people I was talking to just seen the movie/him on Jools Holland last week and went on a wim and they thought it was fantastic.
    Lisa the support act was great too, songs were very funny. Great stuff, I've never seen a place pretty much full before the support comes on.
    Christy Moore was there having a ball too.

Some HD videos we got from last night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Cheers for the videos, sounds great watching them back. I noticed the security upstairs got very cranky with people with phones/cameras towards the end. Someone near me commented that the security guy was like a nazi by the end of the set.

The heckler was definitely in support of Rodriguez though it was a bit OTT. He got asked outside by security & I thought he was kicked out but he returned a few minutes later. He must have just got given out to. The shouting overall I'd expect from being around bold kids in school and I don't think the short time between songs as a reason. Too many people trying to be smart arses. And I thought heckling was reserved for awful performances but apparently they thought it was for respect last night.

I hadn't seen the documentary beforehand and I am raging I hadn't but I moved to Dublin after it was showing and I missed the Lighthouse screening as they only had 1 Sunday screening over the music documentary weekend. Since I knew he was coming to play I listened to his stuff and got into it and am more looking forward to seeing it now.

I aslo really enjoyed the support. Quirky, good songs and stories.

had forgotten about 'blue suede shoes'! guess it was his way of saying thanks to Lisa O'Neill as one of her songs was a kinda of ode to Elvis, shows what a gent he is

most gigs nowadays you get some kind of shouting/heckling. Sometimes it can be funny and add to the atmosphere especially if artist interacts, generally it'd be better without it as can easily wear thin/ get out of hand.

Advertisement