Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing a runner

• 07-09-2012 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I spent a summer in Barcelona years ago, and things didn't quite go to plan. I got a bit of bar and restaurant work here and there, but there were periods when I had absolutely no money. Zero. Not one peseta.

During one of the worst of these I ended up running completely out of food as well as money. It reached a point where the only thing I had eaten in three days was a fat girl's pussy, so desperate times called for desperate measures.

I walked up and down the strip of restaurants by the Marina until I found one that had an empty table outside, beside the exit. The aforementioned girl and I sat down, and had a nice three course meal and a couple of bottles of wine. Then the moment of truth came. Because of the time it had taken to find a suitable restaurant, we had started quite late, and were now the last people in the place. The staff were all staring at us, waiting for us to ask for the bill so they could go home. So there would be no slipping discreetly out, as I had first imagined.

I told the girl that we were just going to have to sprint away, and that there wasn't going to be a good time to do it. One of the staff was standing in the doorway of the restaurant, and turned their back for a second. I told her, Now! and I took off like a bat out of hell. I didn't look back until I got to the bottom of the Ramblas, but when I did, I found she was nowhere to be seen.

About an hour later, she showed up, and told me she only managed to waddle about 20 metres before one of the waiters grabbed her and marched her back. They called the cops and she put all the blame on me, which was fair enough. She said she didn't know me, that I had asked her out on a date, and then had just taken off. They told her to bring the money for the meal by the next day, or there would be trouble. She didn't, we left Barcelona soon afterwards, and that was that. I felt bad about it for a while afterwards, and was hungry again within a few hours, so it wasn't really worth it, but what's done is done.

So what are your stories of doing a runner? We've all done one at some stage, whether it's from a bill, a girl's house, the cops, a job, whatever. Fess up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I've never done a runner.

But, if Usain Bolt is free and reading this, pm me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

She left Barcelona with you even after you stitched her up like that? She must have been really desperate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Had to do numerous runners from the cops in the States when I was there. I was in College there but still 6 months under the age of 21!! I can remember running away from loads of houses completely loaded as the cops chased all the under age drinkers

Fun times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Eh, no we all haven't.

Don't tar everyone else with the same brush just to make yourself feel better about what you done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Eh, no we all haven't.

Don't tar everyone else with the same brush just to make yourself feel better about what you done.

Oh, get off your high horse. I know it was wrong. You've never done anything wrong in your entire life, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

not man enough to do it on your own, you had to involve someone else to take the wrap for you. a real gent. your parents must be so proud. :rolleyes:

Absolutely I have done things I am not proud of, but I don't brag about them on the internet, looking for slaps on the back telling me how great I am.
    Bruce7 wrote: »
    I walked up and down the strip of restaurants by the Marina until I found one that had an empty table outside, beside the exit. The aforementioned girl and I sat down, and had a nice three course meal and a couple of bottles of wine.

What you done was premeditated. If you just had a main course, I could have understood. But you deliberately took the piss out of that business, and probably got the staff in trouble.

Not to mention that you ran on ahead of the poor girl and let her carry the can for your disgusting behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I once did a runner. Her name was Geraldine from Thurles, we were both in the Community Games finals in Mosney (way back before it was Refugee City). Nice girl, had a lisp.

She was a willing accomplice. We planned it together, including what she would say in the event that she was the one who was caught. I know it was wrong. It happened a long time ago.

This thread isn't called

"Calling all self-righteous hypocrites - take the moral high ground here"

Share stories of when you did a runner on someone or something yourself, or don't post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

No i've never done a runner, seems like you're very much on your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Oh, get off your high horse. I know it was wrong. You've never done anything wrong in your entire life, I suppose.

And what have you done to make amends?

You can use Google Street View to go down Las Ramblas and find out the Restaurant name and pay them back now.

Or a charity donation of say €50 to some soup kitchen feeding the poor here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Doing a runner from a restaurant is incredibly sad and low class, not to mention dangerous. Far more sensible to walk into a supermarket, swipe a bread roll and eat it there and then. Although frankly I don't believe the OP's story for a moment. No-one could be that much of a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Well played using the fat girl as a decoy.

She was a willing accomplice. We planned it together, including what she would say in the event that she was the one who was caught. I know it was wrong. It happened a long time ago.

This thread isn't called

Share stories of when you did a runner on someone or something yourself, or don't post.

you're not doing yourself any favors by saying she was in on it, etc. etc. It just makes you sound more guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

You can use Google Street View to go down Las Ramblas and find out the Restaurant name and pay them back now.

OP, you should do this.

Also, in many cases people "doing a runner" in restaurants don't think of the server they had - more than likely that waiter/waitress would have had to pay for your meal for you, maybe got fired, or reprimanded because they did not keep enough of a watch on their table. You should be so proud.

This thread isn't called

Like I said, you aren't going to get people slapping you on the back telling you what a great man you are. You know what did is wrong you say. So why post on the internet about it? Doesn't sound like you are in the least bit remorseful or embarrassed about your behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So you made a good run but she ran too slow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

This thread isn't called

Maybe you should have called it "calling all dickheads - brag about being a dickhead and no comments pointing out how much of a dickhead people have been please"

It would probably have conveyed more accurately the type of responses you hoped to generate.

• Advertisement

OP, you should do this.

I think he's done a runner again on that donate to charity idea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭The Don 1985

I've never done a runner from a restaurant but what I have done is leave one of our mean friends to foot the bill. Now before people start the usual your some friends etc. etc. this lad is a very good friend but incredibiliy tight with money. He would want the bill split to the last cent. So one day we all went for some grub in Limerick, we sat down had a two course meal along with 2 bottles of red. When it came to the bill , I said I was going to the toilet as did one of the other guys, which we did before slipping out the door. Our other buddy, set his ring tones off in his pocket and went outside to take the 'call' ....after about 15 mins we called him told him we were waiting for him in the pub and had a pint of for him. Ha ha . Did we pay him back ?? Be f*ck we didnt, he owed us that and more for putting up wit his mean ways for the last 15 years ....

RE: Runners, I have ran from more taxis than I care to remember in my college years. Was a dab hand at it come my final year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

OP didn't "do a runner". OP stole from a business. OP is a thief. Not "classless", a dirty low thief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

No, I am not a thief either.

I've never done a runner from a restaurant but what I have done is leave one of our mean friends to foot the bill. Now before people start the usual your some friends etc. etc. this lad is a very good friend but incredibiliy tight with money. He would want the bill split to the last cent. So one day we all went for some grub in Limerick, we sat down had a two course meal along with 2 bottles of red. When it came to the bill , I said I was going to the toilet as did one of the other guys, which we did before slipping out the door. Our other buddy, set his ring tones off in his pocket and went outside to take the 'call' ....after about 15 mins we called him told him we were waiting for him in the pub and had a pint of for him. Ha ha . Did we pay him back ?? Be f*ck we didnt, he owed us that and more for putting up wit his mean ways for the last 15 years ....

RE: Runners, I have ran from more taxis than I care to remember in my college years. Was a dab hand at it come my final year.
    Another hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Never done anything like that myself but one of my mates tried to do a legger on a taxi when he was younger. He was beyond drunk and upon leaving the taxi sprinted into a tree about 10 metres away and knocked himself out, woke up without his watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Its always a great read when a thread does not turn out as expected for the op and they end up running away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm not entirely innocent but nothing quite like the OP, a fairly moderate story compared, but good luck if I'm telling any kind of story here with these miserable high horse attitudes.
    He was starving for 3 days and had no money so he did a runner and he regrets it now. Get over yourselves.
    Next time I think humanity has gone to crap I'll remind myself that such robotic paragons of virtue exist on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

OP is a keeper, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Shryke wrote: »
    I'm not entirely innocent but nothing quite like the OP, a fairly moderate story compared, but good luck if I'm telling any kind of story here with these miserable high horse attitudes.
    He was starving for 3 days and had no money so he did a runner and he regrets it now. Get over yourselves.
    Next time I think humanity has gone to crap I'll remind myself that such robotic paragons of virtue exist on boards.

Lol he didnt need a 3 course meal and a few bottles of wine :-)

to be hones I think somebody doing a runner or assaulting a taxi man is despicable and don't deserve any respect. These guys are out bringing drunks, druggies, and every other type home at night - they have to fight for every fare they get - for some twat to do a runner on them while they are at their job is disgusting. They have mortgages to pay, kids to rear, just like every other decent person. Shame on you. Who do you people think you are thinking that taxi people are there to be abused like that. You'll get your karma for that.

Stealing is stealing, no excuses.

FAIL

he was "starving" for three days and got someone else to take the wrap for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

FAIL

Ummm, wrap.

FAIL

He stole a wrap as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Never ran from anything. Like a Lannister, I always pay my debts.

However, I avoid paying for a TV license when I can. I don't consider that running from anything. I simply refuse to pay for a service which I never use.

Its always a great read when a thread does not turn out as expected for the op and they end up running away from it.

There's nothing more for me to say in it. Some people might actually share their own stories, the high horse brigade will get their kicks being judgmental, or nobody will post in it and it will die on its arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Bump ( guessing the OP missed this idea to make amends )

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

kids to rear, just like every other decent person.

Woah woah! Keep that to yourself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Where To wrote: »

A tree is a tree, no excuses. That's what you sounds like. :P No argument there at all. No one is saying stealing is a good thing tbh.
    The OP can defend himself if he wants. The notion that a person who's repentant about doing a silly runner with someone else in tow while they're both starving should get so much flak is fairly sad. Hunger is hunger, no excuses.

• Advertisement

There's nothing more for me to say in it. Some people might actually share their own stories, the high horse brigade will get their kicks being judgmental, or nobody will post in it and it will die on its arse.

so if you disagree with dishonesty and thieving, you are now on your "high horse" :o:o That's one for the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

This is your horse OP.
    so if you disagree with dishonesty and thieving, you are now on your "high horse" :o:o That's one for the books.

You can see some lad being up in court for aggravated murder saying, "Ah would yas all just get off your high horse!"

A tree is a tree, no excuses. That's what you sounds like. :P No argument there at all. No one is saying stealing is a good thing tbh.
    The OP can defend himself if he wants. The notion that a person who's repentant about doing a silly runner with someone else in tow while they're both starving should get so much flak is fairly sad. Hunger is hunger, no excuses.

believe me, if you are truly hungry, it's not planning a three course meal with wine and an accomplice you would be thinking of. (and insulting her to boot).
    Funny world if we all decided to do that when we were "hungry".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

And the two bottles of wine? Thirst, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

notsobusy wrote: »
    Had to do numerous runners from the cops in the States when I was there. I was in College there but still 6 months under the age of 21!! I can remember running away from loads of houses completely loaded as the cops chased all the under age drinkers

Fun times :D

They really do that? Thought that was only in comedies!

If I was a taxi man I would mow down a runaway without a seconds thought being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I remember when you could start a thread like this in AH and get lots of funny responses and stories without the fear of being lectured to death by everyone.
    The OP never asked for anyone's opinions on what he did. He asked does anybody else have any similar funny stories. So far all he's gotten is posts telling him how awful he is.
    Sad times.
    It's Friday people, cheer up and have a bit of a laugh. You don't have to express your moral outrage on everything in here.

Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Where To wrote: »

So if my family is hungry is it ok if I break into your house for money to feed them?

He was over on holidays or whatever. If he decided to go to Barcelona for the summer he should have made it his business to make sure he could feed himself.

And your telling me there's no way he could have gotten friends or family to send him €100 to feed himself? Or to fly him home?

Even if he couldn't have, there was still begging or a soup kitchen type thing for the homeless. But I suppose that would have put a bigger dent in his pride then stealing.

Lastly, as has been pointed out, hard to really buy into the desperation of the situation when he's ordering a couple of bottles of wine.

Really not much difference in this from stealing the equivalent amount of money from a shop cash register.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

If you're skint and starving for three days there are other ways of getting a bit of grub without stealing. By the way, if times were so tough, why didn't you just go home, assumming this was a possibilty of course.
    But to be honset, I don't beleive this story for one moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

No fit birds in Barcelona?

• Advertisement
Advertisement