Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing a runner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's weird, I can't get my head around people who don't have any kind of concept of planning. Even on a minor scale such as, how am I going to eat tommorow?

Not to get sanctimonious but this must have been the mentality of our government for long periods.

It's like with car loans and things on higher purchase, people just think it's free stuff and that you never REALLY have to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

so if you disagree with dishonesty and thieving, you are now on your "high horse" :o:o That's one for the books.

No, if you are persistently judgmental about other people, and this makes you feel good, and forget your own failings, you are on your high horse.

If you and all the others will shut up about it, maybe the thread can be salvaged.

I went back to Barcelona a few years later in better circumstances and intended to make amends. The restaurant was not there any more. This is very common there, as many bars and restaurants only open for the summer, so it didn't go out of business because of me, before some preachy w@nker pipes up with that. A bit like pop up restaurants. I couldn't pay them back, but I do believe I paid it forward many times over. I donate a four figure sum to charity every year, and always tip generously in restaurants. I have also never done anything else like that in the intervening 15 years.

So, I never made it to Juarez, Mexico, but as someone who did once said,

"Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dean09 wrote: »
    I remember when you could start a thread like this in AH and get lots of funny responses and stories without the fear of being lectured to death by everyone.
    The OP never asked for anyone's opinions on why he did. He asked does anybody else have any similar funny stories. So far all he's gotten is posts telling him how awful he is.
    Sad times.
    It's Friday people, cheer up and have a bit of a laugh. You don't have to express your moral outrage on everything in here.

He doesnt paint him self in a great light though does he. Calling his accomplice "a fat bird" isn't exactly endearing. "She managed to wobble about 20 metres".

Everyone likes a story about a wiley rascal who got one over someone, but the OP just comes across like an eejit. And not a charming one either. Its also all very well saying I was starving and needed the food, but the 3 course meal and the 2 bottles of wine were a bit uncalled for. Was it the cheapest wine on the menu? I bet it wasn't. If it was as late as he said it was, he could have waited a bit longer, gone round the back and asked if there was any Paella going a begging.

This could have been a great thread but it was doomed by the OPs attitude in post #1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not proud of it but one night after a college social many years ago, my mate and I had no money left for a taxi home, being very intoxicated we didnt fancy our chances running from a taxi driver either. Next of all we walk past a taxi stopped at traffic lights and the driver was literally 30 stone.

Well lets just say the taxi man never received payment. I've only ever done it that once, still feel pretty scummy doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Well OP i found your story amusing, as if that is the worst thing to ever happen in the world! OP knows it was wrong like he said. Everyone preaching has done something wrong in their lives, I wonder if they donated to a soup kitchen or the equivalent every time.

Hard luck OP, could have been an interesting thread about people doing stupid things that they regret, we all have those stories, Id share mine now but obviously the point is lost on the grinches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭the_djoker

notsobusy wrote: »
    Had to do numerous runners from the cops in the States when I was there. I was in College there but still 6 months under the age of 21!! I can remember running away from loads of houses completely loaded as the cops chased all the under age drinkers

Fun times :D

:d Nice, I had some incidents with cops on J1 summers back in the day too --- never did a runner tho, you are screwed if you are caught - lucky you weren't , it's considered a felony there .... f*cking yanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I remember when you could start a thread like this in AH and get lots of funny responses and stories without the fear of being lectured to death by everyone.
    The OP never asked for anyone's opinions on why he did. He asked does anybody else have any similar funny stories. So far all he's gotten is posts telling him how awful he is.
    Sad times.
    It's Friday people, cheer up and have a bit of a laugh. You don't have to express your moral outrage on everything in here.
    When I was younger, my family would often go to Kerry for a week during the summer. I would spend my afternoons with my cousins on the beach making sandcastles. We always designed them with deep moates and corresponding drainage system so that when the tide came in, the water would flow in, fill up the moate, and make our upside-down buck-shaped castles look like badass medieval fortresses complete with flotsam drawbridge and seaweed flags.

The entire process, from the selection of beach area, the building, right down to the tide eventually overflowing everything and destroying my hard work (which usually corresponded with being called in for dinner) was in a weird and wondrous way was almost representative of the circle of life. Build something, see it ruined and returned to whence it came, etc, and do it again the next day. Now I come into this thread, see your signature, indicative of your hatred for sandcastles, and I wonder "why?". Why hate sandcastles, Dean_09? Why? It's Friday, goddammit! Well fcuk you, sandcastles are awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

mitosis wrote: »
    And the two bottles of wine? Thirst, eh?

Well if you're gonna do it, might as well do it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

The OP never asked for anyone's opinions on what he did. He asked does anybody else have any similar funny stories. So far all he's gotten is posts telling him how awful he is.
    Sad times.

but the story wasn't funny tho. only the OP thought it was funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

floggg wrote: »
    Shryke wrote: »
    Where To wrote: »
    I'm not entirely innocent but nothing quite like the OP, a fairly moderate story compared, but good luck if I'm telling any kind of story here with these miserable high horse attitudes.
    He was starving for 3 days and had no money so he did a runner and he regrets it now. Get over yourselves.
    Next time I think humanity has gone to crap I'll remind myself that such robotic paragons of virtue exist on boards.
    Stealing is stealing, no excuses.

A tree is a tree, no excuses. That's what you sounds like. :P No argument there at all. No one is saying stealing is a good thing tbh.
    The OP can defend himself if he wants. The notion that a person who's repentant about doing a silly runner with someone else in tow while they're both starving should get so much flak is fairly sad. Hunger is hunger, no excuses.

So if my family is hungry is it ok if I break into your house for money to feed them?

He was over on holidays or whatever. If he decided to go to Barcelona for the summer he should have made it his business to make sure he could feed himself.

And your telling me there's no way he could have gotten friends or family to send him €100 to feed himself? Or to fly him home?

Even if he couldn't have, there was still begging or a soup kitchen type thing for the homeless. But I suppose that would have put a bigger dent in his pride then stealing.

Lastly, as has been pointed out, hard to really buy into the desperation of the situation when he's ordering a couple of bottles of wine.

Really not much difference in this from stealing the equivalent amount of money from a shop cash register.

Doing a runner from a restaurant isn't equivocal to breaking into somebodies house. You're off on some nutty tangent now.
    No one is recommending it.
    It happened. Don't start foaming at the mouth or anything. Bite down on a wooden spoon until the tide of indignation passes.

I can see the funny side to the wine, especially when he's planning a runner. Nothing like 3 bottles of wine to prep for a flawless escape.

syklops wrote: »
    He doesnt paint him self in a great light though does he. Calling his accomplice "a fat bird" isn't exactly endearing. "She managed to wobble about 20 metres".

Who said anything about trying to be endearing? Is that requirement to start a thread now on boards??

Bruce7 wrote: »
    No, if you are persistently judgmental about other people, and this makes you feel good, and forget your own failings, you are on your high horse.

If you and all the others will shut up about it, maybe the thread can be salvaged.

I went back to Barcelona a few years later in better circumstances and intended to make amends. The restaurant was not there any more. This is very common there, as many bars and restaurants only open for the summer, so it didn't go out of business because of me, before some preachy w@nker pipes up with that. A bit like pop up restaurants. I couldn't pay them back, but I do believe I paid it forward many times over. I donate a four figure sum to charity every year, and always tip generously in restaurants. I have also never done anything else like that in the intervening 15 years.

So, I never made it to Juarez, Mexico, but as someone who did once said,

"Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

no need to get narky because the post didn't go your way. You posted on here to "compare notes" on what sort of "robbing" or "getting away with it" other people had. The post didn't to your way. So now you start insulting boards people for their opinions. Again, a right gent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No, never done a runner.
    Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

]

I never said it was funny. I didn't think it was funny. I actually thought it was just thanks-whoring.
    But I think it could have been a good thread if people had have posted their own funny stories similar to the OP.
    But instead, people decided to lecture the OP and tell him what a horrible human being he is.
    Oh well, ya win some ya lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kmscc

I thought the story was funny :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

floggg wrote: »
    I'm not entirely innocent but nothing quite like the OP, a fairly moderate story compared, but good luck if I'm telling any kind of story here with these miserable high horse attitudes.
    He was starving for 3 days and had no money so he did a runner and he regrets it now. Get over yourselves.
    Next time I think humanity has gone to crap I'll remind myself that such robotic paragons of virtue exist on boards.
    Stealing is stealing, no excuses.

A tree is a tree, no excuses. That's what you sounds like. :P No argument there at all. No one is saying stealing is a good thing tbh.
    The OP can defend himself if he wants. The notion that a person who's repentant about doing a silly runner with someone else in tow while they're both starving should get so much flak is fairly sad. Hunger is hunger, no excuses.

So if my family is hungry is it ok if I break into your house for money to feed them?

He was over on holidays or whatever. If he decided to go to Barcelona for the summer he should have made it his business to make sure he could feed himself.

And your telling me there's no way he could have gotten friends or family to send him €100 to feed himself? Or to fly him home?

Even if he couldn't have, there was still begging or a soup kitchen type thing for the homeless. But I suppose that would have put a bigger dent in his pride then stealing.

Lastly, as has been pointed out, hard to really buy into the desperation of the situation when he's ordering a couple of bottles of wine.

Really not much difference in this from stealing the equivalent amount of money from a shop cash register.

Doing a runner from a restaurant isn't equivocal to breaking into somebodies house. You're off on some nutty tangent now.
    No one is recommending it.
    It happened. Don't start foaming at the mouth or anything. Bite down on a wooden spoon until the tide of indignation passes.

I can see the funny side to the wine, especially when he's planning a runner. Nothing like 3 bottles of wine to prep for a flawless escape.
    It.is.exactly.the.same.

*unclenches teeth.

kmscc wrote: »
    I thought the story was funny :)

So did I.

Fishy, I think youve made your point now, so perhaps, you know, its time to piss off?

When I was younger, my family would often go to Kerry for a week during the summer. I would spend my afternoons with my cousins on the beach making sandcastles. We always designed them with deep moates and corresponding drainage system so that when the tide came in, the water would flow in, fill up the moate, and make our upside-down buck-shaped castles look like badass medieval fortresses complete with flotsam drawbridge and seaweed flags.

The entire process, from the selection of beach area, the building, right down to the tide eventually overflowing everything and destroying my hard work (which usually corresponded with being called in for dinner) was in a weird and wondrous way was almost representative of the circle of life. Build something, see it ruined and returned to whence it came, etc, and do it again the next day. Now I come into this thread, see your signature, indicative of your hatred for sandcastles, and I wonder "why?". Why hate sandcastles, Dean_09? Why? It's Friday, goddammit! Well fcuk you, sandcastles are awesome.

This made my morning! :)

no need to get narky because the post didn't go your way. You posted on here to "compare notes" on what sort of "robbing" or "getting away with it" other people had. The post didn't to your way. So now you start insulting boards people for their opinions. Again, a right gent.

He's the narky one now. Riiiight.
    It.is.exactly.the.same.

*unclenches teeth.

I couldn't understand you there, your teeth were clenched.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

could have been a great thread, ive loads of stories of survival of the fittest by any means necessary............ far too many narks wading in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Back in the day when we were 13/14, whenever we saw the garda van around our area we used to leg it even though we hadn't done anything wrong. They'd chase us everytime without fail!

Mad bastards or what, take that establishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Absolutely I have done things I am not proud of, but I don't brag about them on the internet, looking for slaps on the back telling me how great I am.

What you done was premeditated. If you just had a main course, I could have understood. But you deliberately took the piss out of that business, and probably got the staff in trouble.

Not to mention that you ran on ahead of the poor girl and let her carry the can for your disgusting behaviour.

You're great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Back in the day when we were 13/14, whenever we saw the garda van around our area we used to leg it even though we hadn't done anything wrong. They'd chase us everytime without fail!

Same, what was their plan though? They would never catch us on our own turf and they knew that, i think they just liked the chase as much as we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

The OP never asked for anyone's opinions on what he did. He asked does anybody else have any similar funny stories. So far all he's gotten is posts telling him how awful he is.
    Sad times.

Except it's not "a funny story". I used to operate a restaurant. It's theft, pure and simple.

I am saddened but not surprised at how many people think this sort of thing is just a bit of a laugh. Ironically, you will get the same people posting their outrage at not being allowed into a bar or restaurant because they are wearing running gear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I know a bunch of lads that planned to do it but forgot their mate was in the jacks. The mate turned his ankle trying to get out and had to go to hospital as well as having to pay for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Getting the chase of police used to be great craic as a kid. Such a thrill to get away. We were playing rope across the road one night in the main street in our town. The next car came and we pretended to pull the rope and it was an unmarked psni car. Such a chase they give us, so scared at the time but when you get away all you do is laugh

Except it's not "a funny story". I used to operate a restaurant. It's theft, pure and simple.

I am saddened but not surprised at how many people think this sort of thing is just a bit of a laugh. Ironically, you will get the same people posting their outrage at not being allowed into a bar or restaurant because they are wearing running gear!

You must have caught some people out trying to pull fast ones or get away with some nonsense. Why not share some stories.

]

I never said it was a funny story. I said the thread could have been funny if people just posted their own stories instead of attacking the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Done it once in Melbourne myself and have no regrets. Four of us ordered dinner. Two dinners arrived while the other two waited. Couple arrive beside us and got our other two dinners. Thirty minutes later they send down two Lamb dinners instead of beef. Waitress was less than helpful. In the end we told the two girls to go the toilet and we'd get the bill and meet them outside but we just walked out. If we had of mentioned not paying the wimmenz would be in a panic thinking about it. Calm as you like is the way to go. Nobody suspects a thing. And I hope the bitch had to cover the cost of our meals and drinks. Unhelpful cnut she was.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've never done a runner from a restaurant but what I have done is leave one of our mean friends to foot the bill. Now before people start the usual your some friends etc. etc. this lad is a very good friend but incredibiliy tight with money. He would want the bill split to the last cent. So one day we all went for some grub in Limerick, we sat down had a two course meal along with 2 bottles of red. When it came to the bill , I said I was going to the toilet as did one of the other guys, which we did before slipping out the door. Our other buddy, set his ring tones off in his pocket and went outside to take the 'call' ....after about 15 mins we called him told him we were waiting for him in the pub and had a pint of for him. Ha ha . Did we pay him back ?? Be f*ck we didnt, he owed us that and more for putting up wit his mean ways for the last 15 years ....

RE: Runners, I have ran from more taxis than I care to remember in my college years. Was a dab hand at it come my final year.

Splitting a bill fairly to the last cent is not mean. It might be anally retentive, but it's not mean. Expecting someone to cover you when you're short on the bill might be seen as mean though, if you do it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Brilliant just Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

6 pages of tripe

/close thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You told your story well op. I'm won't judge you :)

Your somewhat disdain for the fairer sex would be a psychologists dream though, perhaps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Post of the Year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

m.j.w wrote: »
    Getting the chase of police used to be great craic as a kid.

Used to fire rockets at them on Halloween to get a chase.

Put the rockets in a bottle or an old crutch and fire them at the squad car or the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Jesus op, you are being taken over the coals here...

Maybe my moral standards are just lower, or perhaps it's because I went a bit nus in my college days that i can relate to your story, somewhat..

Bottles of wine are killing ya though...

Still, funny that the fat bird got caught... ha , fat bird...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Genuinely astonished that the OP thought this would turn out any other way. Waiters usually have to pay for runners' meals out of their own wages, which are crappy enough as is. Two three-course meals and three bottles of wine was probably enough to cancel out half a week's wages for the guy. It's a horrible thing to do, and while making regular donations to charity may mean the person's a good guy overall, starting a thread about it and inviting other people to share stories of the times they stole from people who could ill afford it means they probably haven't changed that much.

There's really no difference between doing a runner and pickpocketing the waiter on his way home. It's a lousy, horrible thing to do and while there might be some defence for someone who eats a single main course and runs, there's no justification for three courses with wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I'd just like to add that I'm morally outraged that all of you are sitting on a computer typing a thread while you could be out feeding the homeless and helping old ladies cross the road. Shame on you!

Ironically, you will get the same people posting their outrage at not being allowed into a bar or restaurant because they are wearing running gear!

Yes because thats a logical progression! :confused:
    Waiters usually have to pay for runners' meals out of their own wages, which are crappy enough as is.

This is nonsence, and against the law, the same laws as the OP's runner was against, so if a restaurant is docking waiters wages for people doing a runner than they are bigger robbing cnuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

My dramatic runner is a victimless crime.

I was in Nha Trang in Vietnam a few years back at a nightclub by the beach. After the nightclub closes there's this one street where most people pass to get back to their hotels or whatever, which is lined with prostitutes/pick-pockets.

All of my mates had walked ahead of me and got done by the girls who come up and molest them telling them how "big" they were while an other girls made off with their wallets. One of my mates noticed and tried to chase after her, only to see her sprint down the street and jump on the back of a moving scooter, all the while wearing stilettos.

I saw all this , so knew the score but still had to get back to my hotel. I started walking down the street telling them I wasn't interested, only for them to converge. I start to walk faster, they do too. Next thing I know I'm sprinting down the street being chased by a bunch of Vietnamese hookers in heels. Sad to say the nearly caught me.

I made it to the far end of the street safe and sound where I found an old woman selling beer from an ice box. I then sat for an hour drinking with a random French guy watching every other white guy get done the same way.

On the same trip, I was so freaked out by a lady boy hooker with stubble all over her face trying to proposition me that I ended up sprinting up what I thought was a short hill which lead back to my hut to get away. I ended up lost in a bamboo forest for the best part of an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭The Don 1985

to be hones I think somebody doing a runner or assaulting a taxi man is despicable and don't deserve any respect. These guys are out bringing drunks, druggies, and every other type home at night - they have to fight for every fare they get - for some twat to do a runner on them while they are at their job is disgusting. They have mortgages to pay, kids to rear, just like every other decent person. Shame on you. Who do you people think you are thinking that taxi people are there to be abused like that. You'll get your karma for that.

Who said anything about assualthing a taxi man here Fish ? Your imagination is running away with itself , pardon the pun !!!! Jaysus I was in college with not a penny to rub together and if I did it would be spent on food or booze as all students do . I was young and never for one second did I think about his family, kids to feed etc. etc. Where you ever young once Fishy or were you one of these boring people who alway did the right thing and never put a foot out of line ?

This is a thread for people who want to share stories about experiences of doing runners etc., be it when they were young and foolish or not . It's not a thread for peole to come on here and judge people,who may I add they know nothing about over things they have done in the past.

Also, I wonder do these taxi men think about their passengers kids/wives that they have to feed while bringing tourists on roundabout trips around the city or country people up in Dublin that may not know there way around the city centre ? This too is in fact robbing/stealing right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭The Don 1985

Splitting a bill fairly to the last cent is not mean. It might be anally retentive, but it's not mean. Expecting someone to cover you when you're short on the bill might be seen as mean though, if you do it a lot.

That's a fair point pickarooney. Ennoying as hell but not mean I suppose but trust me that was only a minor example albeit a bad one that I was trying to make .

As a matter of interest, could you call spliting the bill as tight even ? Surely it warrants a 'tight' no ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Did a runner from a restaurant on dame street when with two friends when I was in college. I got chased by the chef all the way to Henry street. Wasn't easy with a full stomach. Never again too stressful. But I'm glad I can say I've done it, it takes balls and IMO builds character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I get it. People can only post views that support the OP. That of course is how a discussion board works... :confused:
    Oh, get off your high horse. I know it was wrong. You've never done anything wrong in your entire life, I suppose.
    Differing levels of wrongdoing. "Get off your high horse" is one of the most retarded phrases ever btw and exclusively used by people throwing their toys out of the pram.

If you were seriously stuck for food, desperate times call for desperate measures, but your attitude stinks - getting a really fancy meal with wine kinda calls into question your desperation. And the way you speak about the girl is really cunttish too - why be that involved with someone you are clearly not attracted to? Were you THAT desperate? :confused:
    Looks like you threw that in to look all blasé "I'm da maaaaaan" and presumably you're a lot older than 17.
    it takes balls
    It doesn't take balls at all IMO - kinda easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

NoQuarter wrote: »
    This is nonsence, and against the law, the same laws as the OP's runner was against, so if a restaurant is docking waiters wages for people doing a runner than they are bigger robbing cnuts!

What law is this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Madam_X wrote: »
    I get it. People can only post views that support the OP. That of course is how a discussion board works... :confused:
    Oh, get off your high horse. I know it was wrong. You've never done anything wrong in your entire life, I suppose.
    Differing levels of wrongdoing. "Get off your high horse" is one of the most retarded phrases ever btw and exclusively used by people throwing their toys out of the pram.

If you were seriously stuck for food, desperate times call for desperate measures, but your attitude stinks - getting a really fancy meal with wine kinda calls into question your desperation. And the way you speak about the girl is really cunttish too - why be that involved with someone you are clearly not attracted to? Were you THAT desperate? :confused:
    it takes balls
    It doesn't take balls at all IMO - kinda easy to do.

Well maybe it's easy for experienced thieves like yourself but us mere mortals find it a bit tougher.

What law is this?

Sections 4 and 5 of the Payment of Wages Act, 1991.

Any more questions?

Who said anything about assualthing a taxi man here Fish ? Your imagination is running away with itself , pardon the pun !!!! Jaysus I was in college with not a penny to rub together and if I did it would be spent on food or booze as all students do . I was young and never for one second did I think about his family, kids to feed etc. etc. Where you ever young once Fishy or were you one of these boring people who alway did the right thing and never put a foot out of line ?

This is a thread for people who want to share stories about experiences of doing runners etc., be it when they were young and foolish or not . It's not a thread for peole to come on here and judge people,who may I add they know nothing about over things they have done in the past.

Also, I wonder do these taxi men think about their passengers kids/wives that they have to feed while bringing tourists on roundabout trips around the city or country people up in Dublin that may not know there way around the city centre ? This too is in fact robbing/stealing right ?

if you check the posts on previous pages you will find that somebody posted that they had done runners from taxi's numerous times when they were at college. the fact is people who do runners and are likely to get caught if the taxman is quick enough often resort to attacking either the taxman or the vehicle, to get away.

People can have fun without breaking the law when they are young - in fact most people do. You don't have to be "boring" by not breaking the law. Also being Young is not an excuse for thinking you have a chauffeur on standby when you spend all your money on drink and want to get home quickly. There are plenty of Young people who DO think about the livelihood of others and respect that.

And I would always suggest people get into a Licensed Taxi - and not one of the "independent" taxis that can charge what they like, not only in Dublin but around the country also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Madam_X wrote: »

A discussion board works by threads being created by people who define what the thread will be about. This is a thread for people to share stories about times when they behaved badly, and ran away from their responsibilities.

You are off topic.

Why don't you create your own thread called "List the acts and people that you disapprove of" and take the people who posted here with you to post in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

What law is this?

I'm glad you asked as it gives me a chance to dust off my brain. It's called the Payment of Wages Act 1991 however what it says is that an employer cannot deduct monies from an employees wages for things such as till shortages UNLESS it is written in the employment contract and made known to the employee before they start.

I remember a guy years ago who used to boast wildly about all the free meals he got in restaurants as he done a runner from each. On further investigation (his sister told us) we found out it was all bullshít. The truth was he tried it on three occasions, none succesful due to his drunkeness. The first he tripped going out into a hallway and smashed into a table splitting his lip and chipping a tooth. The second time he was about 20 metres from the restaurant when he got a stitch then had to stop to puke, the waiters caught him. And the third time he mistook the door to the kitchen as the exit and ending up facing a rather large chef with a larger knife.

Moral of the story kids, don't do runners...... or steal.

Oh yeah and don't do drugs.

Or leave the volume on the television on it's highest setting when placed into standby so that when the next person turns it on it'll blast them out of it. Don't do this particularly if there is an elderly person living in the house who watches TV

• Advertisement
Advertisement