Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing a runner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

But I'm glad I can say I've done it, it takes balls and IMO builds character.

You have to be kidding?

Do you have the same respect for other people who steal?
    Surely they also have balls and have built character from doing it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Never did a runner.

To be honest, if I was in the same position as the OP, I would go into the restuarant and say "please, I'm starving, can I have some bread and a glass of water".......rather than " can I have a steak and your best bottle of port".

Having said that, in some situations I was quite happy to bend the rules.....I had a Dublin to Paris boat and rail ticket once......the person who wrote it out didnt write the final destination out very clearly.....so on the leg from le havre to Paris the ticket conductor said, "where you going" I replied Paris, and he just shrugged and said "they filled it out wrong" and didnt hassle me over it......so I used that ticket to travel all over france.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Share stories of when you did a runner on someone or something yourself, or don't post.

I choose not to share any such story, what ya gonna do.
    or nobody will post in it and it will die on its arse.

Maybe it deserves to.
    "Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

As someone else wrote 'Run fat bitch, run'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

BizzyC wrote: »
    But I'm glad I can say I've done it, it takes balls and IMO builds character.

You have to be kidding?

Do you have the same respect for other people who steal?
    Surely they also have balls and have built character from doing it....

I think most things that requires you to persevere through fear or anxiety builds character and courage. The morals of each act is a separate issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

NoQuarter wrote: »
    What law is this?

Sections 4 and 5 of the Payment of Wages Act, 1991.

Any more questions?

It doesn't actually. Deductions are permitted were made pursuant to a term of a written employment and the other formalities in section 5 are complied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I think most things that requires you to persevere through fear or anxiety builds character and courage. The morals of each act is a separate issue.

I would say that this particular story reeks of cowardice tho. Planning an elaborate meal because they were "starving". Insulting the girl that he brought, and leaving her to take the blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A discussion board works by threads being created by people who define what the thread will be about. This is a thread for people to share stories about times when they behaved badly, and ran away from their responsibilities.

You are off topic.

Why don't you create your own thread called "List the acts and people that you disapprove of" and take the people who posted here with you to post in it?

As I and others said before, this could have been a great thread, I am sure everyone has some sort of a story to tell. I know I have a few. Its just as well as explaining what the thread would be about you also made yourself come across as a complete asshat. A demeanor which didnt change as the thread went on, case in point above.

Don't start threads if you can't handle the backlash, or if you can't put up with some criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I would say that this particular story reeks of cowardice tho. Planning an elaborate meal because they were "starving". Insulting the girl that he brought, and leaving her to take the blame.

I think you were that girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Why would you bring this up to brag about years later?

Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

This is one of those threads that leaves me feeling infinitely like a better person :)

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »

anyone could have been that girl. but I hope she learned a lesson from it - be careful who you chose to hang out with. :p

Is this you http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-19503922

"Building Character" implies that you are going through experiences that provide positive growth. Anyone who'd steal without a good reason is deprived of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Oh, get off your high horse. I know it was wrong. You've never done anything wrong in your entire life, I suppose.

ha ha good man bruce, bring the fight to the straighty180s:D

Is this you http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-19503922

"Building Character" implies that you are going through experiences that provide positive growth. Anyone who'd steal without a good reason is deprived of character.
    Correction anyone who steals without good reason is deprived of your subjective world view and morals. People have different values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Also being Young is not an excuse for thinking you have a chauffeur on standby when you spend all your money on drink and want to get home quickly. There are plenty of Young people who DO think about the livelihood of others and respect that.

And I would always suggest people get into a Licensed Taxi - and not one of the "independent" taxis that can charge what they like, not only in Dublin but around the country also.

I think you are secretly Batman - as played by Adam West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

anyone could have been that girl. but I hope she learned a lesson from it - be careful who you chose to hang out with. :p

I was that girl :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I went for a walk in the forest. Pretty soon, I came upon a house. I knocked and, when no one answered, I walked right in.

At the table in the kitchen, there were three bowls of porridge. I was hungry. I tasted the porridge from the first bowl.
    "This porridge is too hot!" I exclaimed.
    So, I tasted the porridge from the second bowl.
    "This porridge is too cold," I said
    So, I tasted the last bowl of porridge.
    "Ahhh, this porridge is just right," I said happily and I ate it all up.
    After I'd eaten the breakfasts I decided I was feeling a little tired. So, I walked into the living room where I saw three chairs. I sat in the first chair to rest my feet.
    "This chair is too big!" I exclaimed.
    So I sat in the second chair.
    "This chair is too big, too!" I whined.
    So I tried the last and smallest chair.
    "Ahhh, this chair is just right," I sighed. But just as I settled down into the chair to rest, it broke into pieces!
    I was very tired by this time, so I went upstairs to the bedroom. I lay down in the first bed, but it was too hard. Then I lay in the second bed, but it was too soft. Then I lay down in the third bed and it was just right. I fell asleep.

Some time later, I woke up and saw three hairy boggers ( the youngest of whom looked very upset ). I screamed, "Help!" And I jumped up and ran out of the room. I ran down the stairs, opened the door, and ran away into the forest. And I never returned to the home of the three hairy boggers.

Was I wrong to just run away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

floggg wrote: »
    I ended up lost in a bamboo forest for the best part of an hour.

At least thats what you told the rest of the lads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

If nothing else she might have gotten in better shape afterward. Every cloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭The Don 1985

if you check the posts on previous pages you will find that somebody posted that they had done runners from taxi's numerous times when they were at college. the fact is people who do runners and are likely to get caught if the taxman is quick enough often resort to attacking either the taxman or the vehicle, to get away.

People can have fun without breaking the law when they are young - in fact most people do. You don't have to be "boring" by not breaking the law. Also being Young is not an excuse for thinking you have a chauffeur on standby when you spend all your money on drink and want to get home quickly. There are plenty of Young people who DO think about the livelihood of others and respect that.

And I would always suggest people get into a Licensed Taxi - and not one of the "independent" taxis that can charge what they like, not only in Dublin but around the country also.

Oh right so it's only the unlicenced taxi men that rob people then is it Fishy ? Ha....would you cop onto yourself. You dont happen to be a LICENCED taxi man(or fat girl) by any chance ?

Also, in furture if you are going to quote me, dont add your own two and four pence to it claiming that I was assaulting a taxi man. I've never assaulted a person in my life and take offence to people who insinuate that I did.

And in relation to breaking the hard hand of the law ? Ha...dont get me started on that. The law should concern themselves with alot more wrongdoings in this country than a young lad doing a legger from a taxi for f*ck sake.

P.S. You cant beat the adrenaline rush you get from doing a legger be it from a taxi or a guard. An experience that every person should most definately experience before they grow old.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jack157

I'm not entirely innocent but nothing quite like the OP, a fairly moderate story compared, but good luck if I'm telling any kind of story here with these miserable high horse attitudes.
    He was starving for 3 days and had no money so he did a runner and he regrets it now. Get over yourselves.
    Next time I think humanity has gone to crap I'll remind myself that such robotic paragons of virtue exist on boards.

Hear, hear!.

Correction anyone who steals without good reason is deprived of your subjective world view and morals. People have different values.

People get thrown in prison and negatively affect the lives of other people based on my "subjective world view and morals".

The fact that you will sit there and try to paint something that is a huge problem in our sociecty and one that should never be tolerated, in an anyway positive light is disturbing.

I wonder if you'd be applauding the character of these people if it was your family or friends who were on the receiving end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

You're a charmer, OP! You loveable rogue, you. :rolleyes::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I found you something for your next trip to Barcelona in case you end up 'starving' again OP:

Irish Consulate General in Barcelona, Spain
    Gran Via Carlos III, 94
    08028 Barcelona
    Spain
    Telephone (+34) 93 491 5021
    Telefax (+34) 93 411 2921

I'm sure they won't let an Irish citizen die of the hunger if you pop in and ask for a few sandwiches.

People get thrown in prison and negatively affect the lives of other people based on my "subjective world view and morals".

The fact that you will sit there and try to paint something that is a huge problem in our sociecty and one that should never be tolerated, in an anyway positive light is disturbing.

I wonder if you'd be applauding the character of these people if it was your family or friends who were on the receiving end.

You're failing to see the nuance, not everything is black and white. If you have character it doesn't mean you are a good person, Hitler had plenty of character for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Well played using the fat girl as a decoy.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've never done a runner from a restaurant but what I have done is leave one of our mean friends to foot the bill. Now before people start the usual your some friends etc. etc. this lad is a very good friend but incredibiliy tight with money. He would want the bill split to the last cent. So one day we all went for some grub in Limerick, we sat down had a two course meal along with 2 bottles of red. When it came to the bill , I said I was going to the toilet as did one of the other guys, which we did before slipping out the door. Our other buddy, set his ring tones off in his pocket and went outside to take the 'call' ....after about 15 mins we called him told him we were waiting for him in the pub and had a pint of for him. Ha ha . Did we pay him back ?? Be f*ck we didnt, he owed us that and more for putting up wit his mean ways for the last 15 years ....

RE: Runners, I have ran from more taxis than I care to remember in my college years. Was a dab hand at it come my final year.

So he insisted on fairness and paying his fair share, and to punish him for that you decided he should pay for all of you?
    Yes, sounds like he did owe you indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The best was getting chases from the guards if security staff for no reason. Hover around looking shifty, pretend to be suddenly startled by the guards in a really obvious manner and run away. A chase would ensue and if caught:

guard: empty your pockets etc
    kid: why certainly...got nothing
    Guard: why were you running?!
    Kid: dunno *snigger*
    Guard: fffuuuuuu !!!

Shenshen wrote: »
    So he insisted on fairness and paying his fair share, and to punish him for that you decided he should pay for all of you?
    Yes, sounds like he did owe you indeed.

As previously explained the bill spliting was a poor example of his meanness. Trust me he is meaner than mean so this act didnt even come close to re paying us for the money that he owes us by dodging a fiver here and a fiver there , never having change for the taxi etc. etc. These all add up my friend.

Oh right so it's only the unlicenced taxi men that rob people then is it Fishy ? Ha....would you cop onto yourself. You dont happen to be a LICENCED taxi man(or fat girl) by any chance ?

Also, in furture if you are going to quote me, dont add your own two and four pence to it claiming that I was assaulting a taxi man. I've never assaulted a person in my life and take offence to people who insinuate that I did.

And in relation to breaking the hard hand of the law ? Ha...dont get me started on that. The law should concern themselves with alot more wrongdoings in this country than a young lad doing a legger from a taxi for f*ck sake.

P.S. You cant beat the adrenaline rush you get from doing a legger be it from a taxi or a guard. An experience that every person should most definately experience before they grow old.

Thats where you are going off kilter. Can you not find your "rushes" somewhere else besides making other people pay for your "enjoyment".

If you do know anything about taxis you will find that the licensed company taxis do not rip people off. They are law abiding, hard working and want to make an honest living for their families, which they find nearly impossible and people who think doing a runner on them is not big deal have an awful lot to learn. but then again, Karma's a great leveler. :D

• Advertisement

[/B]

Thats where you are going off kilter. Can you not find your "rushes" somewhere else besides making other people pay for your "enjoyment".

If you do know anything about taxis you will find that the licensed company taxis do not rip people off. They are law abiding, hard working and want to make an honest living for their families, which they find nearly impossible and people who think doing a runner on them is not big deal have an awful lot to learn. but then again, Karma's a great leveler. :D

Oh right so you can put your hand on your heart and say that ALL licenced taxi men are law abiding and wouldnt dare take someone a longer route in order to bring up the fare ??

I think the next time I hail a taxi I will replace 'TAXI' with 'Here fishy fishy fishy' !! When's the next strike planned for FISHY ?

You're failing to see the nuance, not everything is black and white. If you have character it doesn't mean you are a good person, Hitler had plenty of character for example.

If you want to get into the technical use of the word then yes, if you want to consider the general use of the word then no.

To say "X builds character", generally means that X is an exeperience that is of benefit to that persons development and should be encouraged.

Oh right so you can put your hand on your heart and say that ALL licenced taxi men are law abiding and wouldnt dare take someone a longer route in order to bring up the fare ??

I think the next time I hail a taxi I will replace 'TAXI' with 'Here fishy fishy fishy' !! When's the next strike planned for FISHY ?

No, I wouldn't do such a thing but I do know that people that think it is okay for them to do runners from a taxi should sit down and think about what they are actually doing. It's common thievery - its not funny, and being young is not an excuse - its the same as going into any business and sticking your hand in the till. You wouldn't do that would you, so why would you think its okay to get a taxi home and not pay.

Trying to say that the "taxi's" are doing it, so its okay for you to do it, does not excuse the face that people think this is "ok" to do. Shame.

No, I wouldn't do such a thing but I do know that people that think it is okay for them to do runners from a taxi should sit down and think about what they are actually doing. It's common thievery - its not funny, and being young is not an excuse - its the same as going into any business and sticking your hand in the till. You wouldn't do that would you, so why would you think its okay to get a taxi home and not pay.

Trying to say that the "taxi's" are doing it, so its okay for you to do it, does not excuse the face that people think this is "ok" to do. Shame.

Why wouldn't you do such a thing Fishy ?? I thought all licenced taxi drivers were as honest as the day is long. Hmmmmmm, starting to realise what you said is bullsh*t are we ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Apparently, everyone in this thread is new to AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

It doesn't actually. Deductions are permitted were made pursuant to a term of a written employment and the other formalities in section 5 are complied with.

Makes sentence no sense this.

Are you trying to say that they deductions were in the persons contract? Did you see the contract? I dont even know what contract youre talking about.

Why wouldn't you do such a thing Fishy ?? I thought all licenced taxi drivers were as honest as the day is long. Hmmmmmm, starting to realise what you said is bullsh*t are we ?

not at all, but I'd say these ones that don't pay for their meals or their rides home are feeling preeeeety sh*tty after reading what people think of them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

not at all, but I'd say these ones that don't pay for their meals or their rides home are feeling preeeeety sh*tty after reading what people think of them. :D

And you are probably congratulating yourself and feeling pretty great, after expressing your moral superiority so many times.

So, as this thread has given you such a large payoff today, I think you should thank me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Why don't you create your own thread called "List the acts and people that you disapprove of" and take the people who posted here with you to post in it?
    I said desperate times call for desperate measures, so I'd understand what you did to a point. The ordering the most expensive stuff and the way you speak about that girl, I dont understand though. But it's just "acting morally superior" to disapprove of the likes of that I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

I spent a summer in Barcelona years ago, and things didn't quite go to plan. I got a bit of bar and restaurant work here and there, but there were periods when I had absolutely no money. Zero. Not one peseta.

During one of the worst of these I ended up running completely out of food as well as money. It reached a point where the only thing I had eaten in three days was a fat girl's pussy, so desperate times called for desperate measures.

I walked up and down the strip of restaurants by the Marina until I found one that had an empty table outside, beside the exit. The aforementioned girl and I sat down, and had a nice three course meal and a couple of bottles of wine. Then the moment of truth came. Because of the time it had taken to find a suitable restaurant, we had started quite late, and were now the last people in the place. The staff were all staring at us, waiting for us to ask for the bill so they could go home. So there would be no slipping discreetly out, as I had first imagined.

I told the girl that we were just going to have to sprint away, and that there wasn't going to be a good time to do it. One of the staff was standing in the doorway of the restaurant, and turned their back for a second. I told her, Now! and I took off like a bat out of hell. I didn't look back until I got to the bottom of the Ramblas, but when I did, I found she was nowhere to be seen.

About an hour later, she showed up, and told me she only managed to waddle about 20 metres before one of the waiters grabbed her and marched her back. They called the cops and she put all the blame on me, which was fair enough. She said she didn't know me, that I had asked her out on a date, and then had just taken off. They told her to bring the money for the meal by the next day, or there would be trouble. She didn't, we left Barcelona soon afterwards, and that was that. I felt bad about it for a while afterwards, and was hungry again within a few hours, so it wasn't really worth it, but what's done is done.

So what are your stories of doing a runner? We've all done one at some stage, whether it's from a bill, a girl's house, the cops, a job, whatever. Fess up.

What a disgusting little cockroach you are... Not only you stole from that restaurant, but you kept the staff late at work too. They probably had to pay for your meal themselves... I really hope that one day when you're "doing a runner" you'll get caught and your nose and legs will get broken in a really violent fashion, you little prick.

• Advertisement

I've done a runner from a swarm of bees that attacked me one day for eating a Wibbly Wobbly wonder, does that count OG OP?

What a disgusting little cockroach you are... Not only you stole from that restaurant, but you kept the staff late at work too. They probably had to pay for your meal themselves... I really hope that one day when you're "doing a runner" you'll get caught and your nose and legs will get broken in a really violent fashion, you little prick.

Not a very Dude like response Andy...relax man ,chill out dudes take things in their stride and dont get so upset like your above post. And if you cant, then dont call yourself a 'dude' cause you quite clearly aint .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

[/B]

Not all of them by any means, some of them are pig ignorant a*seholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

leggit wrote: »
    Never done anything like that myself

Terrible username choice then.

Oh fishy fishy fishy....little do you know, I couldnt give two hoots about what any poster on this forum has to say about my actions as young lad growing up, it's all part of life my (taxi)man it aint like I'm still running your fellow honest as the day is long taxi men who NEVER over charge people !!!

Get over it, people make mistakes in life sure if we were all as straight laced as your good self life would be very boring....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Did a few runners from Javas opposite CPs Nightclub in Galway. Use to go there a lot but was there one night with two mates. One goes to the Jacks the other goes outside to get a cab or have a smoke. Next thing they are tapping the window with big grins and showing the middle finger.
    I got up and paid. Told the cashier wasn't paying for theirs.

Started doing leggers after that. Different staff every week. I know why now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

No I think he's anticipating the common arguments thrown out by fare dodgers. If you think taxi drivers are crooks, don't use them. And don't kid yourself that ripping a cabby off is excusable because you don't like taxi drivers generally.

I already knew that some people think the world owes them a living. Reading this thread, it's clear that some think they're owed a 3 course meal with bottles of wine, and apparently a free cab home too.

This thread clearly hasn't gone the way that the OP intended. Effectively knicking the food I can actually understand (though a supermarket would have been easier, with less collateral damage). Once you've ordered wine, though, it passes into real see you next Tuesday territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Did a runner from a taxi a couple of times, but only because the retards went the long way around despite me telling him not to.

Taxis have a habit of doing that in dublin when they collect a bunch of drunk students after a night out, because they think you won't notice. I've been stung a few times and paid, then I started telling them exactly what way to go, if they still take the piss and go the long way to add an extra 7/8 euro onto the fare they can **** off if they think I'm going to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

NoQuarter wrote: »

Makes sentence no sense this.

Are you trying to say that they deductions were in the persons contract? Did you see the contract? I dont even know what contract youre talking about.

Typing on a phone isn't always conducive to correct spelling and grammar.

I didn't see the contract no. Did you or anybody else that said it was illegal?

Those sections only state that it is illegal unless proper formalities are adhered to. Not that it is illegal.

So your statement that it was contrary to those sections of the 1991 Act is plainly wrong unless qualified by reference to compliance with the prescribed formalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Madam_X wrote: »
    I get it. People can only post views that support the OP. That of course is how a discussion board works... :confused:

Differing levels of wrongdoing. "Get off your high horse" is one of the most retarded phrases ever btw and exclusively used by people throwing their toys out of the pram.

If you were seriously stuck for food, desperate times call for desperate measures, but your attitude stinks - getting a really fancy meal with wine kinda calls into question your desperation. And the way you speak about the girl is really cunttish too - why be that involved with someone you are clearly not attracted to? Were you THAT desperate? :confused:
    Looks like you threw that in to look all blasé "I'm da maaaaaan" and presumably you're a lot older than 17.

It doesn't take balls at all IMO - kinda easy to do.

you mean kinda like the way it takes balls to rob yer first car, shoplift, mug, take drugs etc.?

Advertisement