Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doughmore Co Clare Warning

Options
  • 07-09-2012 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

On Wed I went out with some good bodyboarders to Doughmore,paddled out to the big mofkers.
    Im not experienced,but only lately I started to progress to the bigger waves in Fanore,Lahinch and Spanish Point.

I got hit by one wave breaking and this thing was the height of a two story house.... and in the middle of the beach the last wave was even bigger,we were at the north end of the beach.
    But looking south they were monsters I'm told only the kayaks are good enough for those.

Doughmore is the Ferrari or Zziplex of the beaches in Co Clare.

These waves are faster bigger and way more powerful than the other beaches there's no compromise,you need to be experienced and strong.

No wonder its such a great spot for fishing etc no trawler in their right mind could come anywhere near here.

Anyway for me ill stick to where it's comfortable.
    The good thing about it though is it thought me a lesson not to be too big for my board.

Doughmore deflates the EGO ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Getting bashed on the head by some big waves is a great way of learning your limitations!

How long was the hold down on the big wave? There's nothing like being held down for ages and getting rolled around like a rag doll. When I say there's nothing like it, I mean that in an 'I dont want to do it again' kind of way!

As an aside, waves always look bigger when you are looking at them sideways :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

dermo909 wrote: »
    Getting bashed on the head by some big waves is a great way of learning your limitations!

How long was the hold down on the big wave? There's nothing like being held down for ages and getting rolled around like a rag doll. When I say there's nothing like it, I mean that in an 'I dont want to do it again' kind of way!

As an aside, waves always look bigger when you are looking at them sideways :p

Is say I was held down for around 8 seconds,thought I'd never get out of it.
    My friend showed me how to duck dive those big ones after,but I had enough lol

I knew these waves were massive.

Were you ever in Doughmore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I was out there on Wednesday evening, coming up to sunset, really nice when you got out the back. Couple of decent sized sets alright with good runs. Beach is in a bit of mess in terms of the banks and it was really on the upper level in terms of handling the size.

Good fun though but after the third or fourth time getting back out the back, it was getting too much of an effort and I called it quits as the sun touched the horizon.

It was one of the most amazing sunsets I ever seen back that way,made me grateful I got out alive lol

Things look better after an experience like that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Think I might have mentioned this beach to you a week or so ago in another thread, and to watch out. ;)

Yeah, it is unforgiving though. Very very dangerous too if you don't have your wits about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Northclare wrote: »
    On Wed I went out with some good bodyboarders to Doughmore,paddled out to the big mofkers.
    Im not experienced,but only lately I started to progress to the bigger waves in Fanore,Lahinch and Spanish Point.

I got hit by one wave breaking and this thing was the height of a two story house.... and in the middle of the beach the last wave was even bigger,we were at the north end of the beach.
    But looking south they were monsters I'm told only the kayaks are good enough for those.

Doughmore is the Ferrari or Zziplex of the beaches in Co Clare.

These waves are faster bigger and way more powerful than the other beaches there's no compromise,you need to be experienced and strong.

No wonder its such a great spot for fishing etc no trawler in their right mind could come anywhere near here.

Anyway for me ill stick to where it's comfortable.
    The good thing about it though is it thought me a lesson not to be too big for my bo

Doughmore deflates the EGO ;)
    I checked doughmore at around 4pm on Wednesday. It looked pretty wild out there and the sets looked heavy for sure. I only saw one person catch a wave, some bodyboarder got a heaving left before it swallowed him! I should have gone back down later by the sounds of it.

Yip, it tidied up a bit as the evening went on alright

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Yip, it tidied up a bit as the evening went on alright
    Man it was a complete zoo at lahinch that evening. Bodies everywhere. Even saw Ben (of the surf clinic) get hit on the head by some fools board who dropped in on him and ignored his shouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Decos wrote: »
    Man it was a complete zoo at lahinch that evening. Bodies everywhere. Even saw Ben (of the surf clinic) get hit on the head by some fools board who dropped in on him and ignored his shouts.

:D Lahinch :D ...nothing changes!

Found a nice quiet spot for myself, was sweet to get out after two years abroad. Be a great country for surfing if it wasn't for all the friggen onshore westerly wind, like a non stop machine it is, tough to find a few clean hours here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I live near Tramore so all I ever get to surf is windswell :mad:

• Advertisement

Found a nice quiet spot for myself, was sweet to get out after two years abroad. Be a great country for surfing if it wasn't for all the friggen onshore westerly wind, like a non stop machine it is, tough to find a few clean hours here and there.

Westerlies / south westerlies are not onshore everywhere!

There was a nice clean wave in Fanore on Sunday.
    It only lasted an hour or so but for a beginner like me it was fun

haha, happened me once in Lahinch. Just bought a bodyboard, though I would take it out while the tide was almost in. Totally misjudged it, got washed up first go. Had to think fast as I was being pushed onto the rocks. As luck had it, I stuck out my feet and braced myself, then got plonked on a rock. Pure fluke. I got out while I could....

Itching to get in the water to have a crack off the sponge. Monday was good. Couldn't go.....

Friday will be Epic

must synchronise watch!

....and check the tides....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

And err check the wind:rolleyes:

Advertisement