Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register 365. Cowboys Ted, cowboys.

• 07-09-2012 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Always find myself scratching my head , especially during a recession how its possible to run a company so badly.

There I was developing a site for a client yesterday afternoon so upon completion I uploaded the finished piece of work via FTP , set up the DB , adjusted the config information and refreshed to see the finished piece , in all its live glory.

No dice unfortunately. This is what I'm greeted with.

"Your server is running PHP version 4.4.7 but WordPress 3.3.1 requires at least 5.2.4."

WTF?? Why in the name of bejaysus , in this day and age is a hosting company running an archaic version of PHP?? Why is mine and my client's precious time being wasted with this nonsense??

Blacknight for their occassional faults ( like that famous email outage last year ) are models of proficiency in comparison.

Their systems have the right , most up to date software.
    They answer their phones within minutes and fix your problem there and then.
    They answer their support tickets promptly.
    They dont leave you 35mins + on their phones , wasting your money waiting to get an answer to a query.

Anyone else have any experience with these jokers??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

anbrutog wrote: »
    Anyone else have any experience with these jokers??

Only that years ago I registered a .ie domain with them for around €50 and they took payment, then after they had my money they said I'd needed to send in the company info to support the purchase.

A while later I looked and someone else had the domain, when I called then I was told that another company had got their information in first, but they'd refund me, minus a €20 admin fee.

A complete joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

smash wrote: »
    Only that years ago I registered a .ie domain with them for around €50 and they took payment, then after they had my money they said I'd needed to send in the company info to support the purchase.

A while later I looked and someone else had the domain, when I called then I was told that another company had got their information in first, but they'd refund me, minus a €20 admin fee.

A complete joke!

Bloody hell. What a way to treat a customer eh??
    Lets take €20 for our incompetence off them and make sure they never come near us again. Maybe they know something we don't about to run a business ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've never used them for hosting, but I have any domains registered with them. I find their control panel for DNS, etc., the most straight-forward and minimalist, which suits me!

Have had to deal with their support team on a few occasions before also, and found them very helpful and friendly!

Just offering some balance here ;) Wouldn't be too keen to host a site with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

http://www.register365.com/knowledge/legacy_h-sphere_hosting/694-what_php_version_is_installed.html

I've found their support to be fine.

Anyway, I assume a thread lock is pending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Just checked on my account with digiweb and they are running PHP Version 5.2.5.

• Advertisement

http://www.register365.com/knowledge/legacy_h-sphere_hosting/694-what_php_version_is_installed.html

I've found their support to be fine.

Anyway, I assume a thread lock is pending.

Cant agree you there.
    Personally , I find ancient versions of PHP to be unacceptable and a waste of my time.
    Also , maybe its me but I dont particularly like being kept on the phone 35 minutes and not have my call answered. An email response would be nice as well, still haven't received one almost 24 hours later.

Guess I just really high standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

anbrutog wrote: »
    Cant agree you there.
    Personally , I find ancient versions of PHP to be unacceptable and a waste of my time.
    Also , maybe its me but I dont particularly like being kept on the phone 35 minutes and not have my call answered. An email response would be nice as well, still haven't received one almost 24 hours later.

Guess I just really high standards.
    No need to get sarky, the poster was just offering their own experiences, as was I. I've never been kept on the phone for 35 minutes or not had my call answered.

Dave! wrote: »
    No need to get sarky, the poster was just offering their own experiences, as was I. I've never been kept on the phone for 35 minutes or not had my call answered.

Fair enough. Re being sarky, I guess having a morning wasted does that to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

When I've submitted a ticket I've found they get back within a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have about 40+ websites hosted with them and an equal number of domains. I personally have never had any issues like the OP and I have been with them for over 10 years.

They answer emails within a few hours and depending on the server/hosting package you go with the version of PHP could vary. You can of course upgrade your service package or move it to another type of server for no charge in many cases. They also have Wordpress preinstalled on the servers and you can activate it from your admin screen on your account sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

I had this issue when taking over a site recently. It's a legacy system they have that they are unwilling to update. I guess they figure the danger of breaking old sites outweighs the benifits.

The only solution was to get new hosting which we did (choosing BK).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hi folks, we don't allow discussion of particular hosting companies for historic reasons (see links in Charter).

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement