Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Champion/Weekender

Options
  • 07-09-2012 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

this week we saw the champion come out on a Tuesday now im hearing that the weekender is counteracting this by coming out on a Friday,what is goingon is the champion Trying to squeeze out the weekender.or is the weekender running scared off the Champion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Well I suppose a "weekender" coming out in the middle of the week was a bit ridiculous anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Old enough to remember a time when The Weekender used to come through the letter box on a Friday for free.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Old enough to remember a time when The Weekender used to come through the letter box on a Friday for free.:o
    And just as much news on it then too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

tues/weds was def not working for the champion since the weekender were getting in all the local and sports stuff from the weekend and then the champion was a rehash of a lot of it on weds. would have liked to see them go head to head on a tues and the better (imo) weekender winning out but that would never happen in reality.

champion is a tired paper and the syndications stuff and lazy reporting has put a lot off and people i know that have been buying it since the 50s don't bother anymore. i'm not saying the weekender is the best ever either, but it's a paper on the up with lots of local content and fresh staff and active on social media etc.

i might be biased as i used to deliver the weekender when it was free and out on a friday, hence the original name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Anybody know why the Champion didnt mention the €50k+ payment from our cash strapped council to Tony McLoughlin???not much point paying €2 for a local paper that wont report one of the main issues that is in the news at the moment.Is the Champion refusing to report on this due to the amount of taxpayers money Tony spends on adverts in the paper during election campaigns. The Sligo Champion needs to decide which side of the fence its on,the readers who pay their hard earned money on the paper or the local politician with their perks...in line with regulations of course:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The Champion has always favoured certain politicians/parties over others.
    They refuse to print the majority of press statements from some but a couple a week from others.

A local paper in my opinion should serve the people and be impartial politically, or at least appear to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Has anyone noticed that more and more of the content of both papers are the same... expecially in sport. Ive noticed that some of the sporting articles in one paper looks very familiar to that in the other...just a few words changed here and there. Im not buying two papers with the same photos and articles in both any more one will have to go..

BTW I thought it was a good move by Weekender who 'trumped' champion by moving their own print back to friday... the next thing you know Champion will again publish on a wednesday.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

most of the sports reports are sent in to the paper by the club/individual invovled. reports written by journalists would be limited to sligo rovers stuff, senior football team and some of the higher profile stuff. these releases from the clubs can be tweaked sometimes to give the effect you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

BTW I thought it was a good move by Weekender who 'trumped' champion by moving their own print back to friday... the next thing you know Champion will again publish on a wednesday.. :)

Years ago The Weekender changed from Friday to Tuesday and The Champion didn't do anything about it. It was so ridiculous having a weekend paper come out midweek.

I dislike both papers. The Weekender is full of photos of 21sts and Grads.
    And The Champion is set in its ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The Champion is the free sheet now available in pubs cafes, bars hotels for free, and the Weekender at least tries to be a newspaper, the Champion only prints its clients agenda.

In a short number of years the Champion has gone from a local institution that most people had affection for, to a disregarded and even depised rag, in the intervening years it sold its soul to an at first morally then financially bankrupt political and business clique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

The Champion is the free sheet now available in pubs cafes, bars hotels for free, and the Weekender at least tries to be a newspaper, the Champion only prints its clients agenda.

In a short number of years the Champion has gone from a local institution that most people had affection for, to a disregarded and even depised rag, in the intervening years it sold its soul to an at first morally then financially bankrupt political and business clique.

I wonder is there any connection between the "decline" of The Champion and their new ownership which happened around the same time?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

TheQ47 wrote: »

I wonder is there any connection between the "decline" of The Champion and their new ownership which happened around the same time?:rolleyes:

I think it hastened the process, you but the seeds of decline were already planted.

Advertisement