Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wake on LAN

• 07-09-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

I have a machine situated at a remote location and use Logmein to communicate with it. Prior to installing it @ the remote location I checked that I could shut it down and start it up again via Logmein using the wake on LAN feature. All worked fine here at this location at that time.

I have been communicating with it successfully ever since @ the remote location but turned it off remotely last night for the first time. This morning I clicked the "Switch on" button in Logmein & it reported that the wake request had been submitted & it proceeded to show the progression icon as if it was doing the turn on, but it hasn't switched it on?

Any ideas as to why that might be the case?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I have a machine situated at a remote location....

wake on LAN feature.

I thought you could only send the Wake up on LAN on the local network.

That either your router blocked it, or the network adapters just never accepted it from outside your local network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I thought you could only send the Wake up on LAN on the local network.

No, it can be done remotely from one network to another, I've done it many times on different systems.

What's confusing me is that the green "switch on" button is showing in Logmein & that normally means that all the correct requirements for it to work have been met?

In this case once the machine at the remote end is powered on I can access it without any problems so I'm assuming that the router or firewall or not the issue here?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Maybe the IP address of the local pc has changed due to DHCP.

So it may have been 192.168.1.10 before it was shutdown/rebooted, and now is eg. 192.168.1.11.

LogMeIn may see some other pc at the old address, like another PC which isn't running LogMeIn, but can't log in to that one ?

Or the PC may not be automatically running LogMeIn on startup, so it doesn't send a packet to the logmein server, so any incoming packets from the logmein server are blocked (NAT filtering)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Maybe the IP address of the local pc has changed due to DHCP.

Nice idea, but WOL uses the MAC address (as the NIC hasn't been assigned an IP until the box boots).

The LAN IP is static

The WAN IP has not changed either, I know this because I can remote to the router at that location to check it.

There is a second machine at that remote location that wasn't powered down & I can connect to it successfully today too???

This looks like it is solely an issue with the wake on Lan aspect of the setup for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

I wonder if it could be a timeout related issue? Any settings on the box BIOS, the Netgear router or Logmein itself or indeed the NIC that could be looked at?

There is a second machine at that remote location that wasn't powered down & I can connect to it successfully today too???

Can you send a WOL packet from that second machine to the first one?
    Just to eliminate the possibility that something between your remote client and the lan is blocking/filtering WOL packets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

For this function to work in LogMeIn, I believe that a second active machine is required on that network also running logmein.
    Then that machine is used by LogMeIn (transparently without notifying anyone) to send the Magic Packet to the other machine's network card instructing it to tell the motherboard to power up.

Any chance that the second machine running logmein was in standby?

Can you send a WOL packet from that second machine to the first one?
    Just to eliminate the possibility that something between your remote client and the lan is blocking/filtering WOL packets?

I've connected to the second machine at the remote location (the one that is powered on) and sent a magic packet from it to the problematic PC & it reported that it did so successfully, but it still appears off in Logmein :confused:

I then used that available 2nd machine at the remote location to log into Logmein from there and hit the "Switch on" button from that angle so as it would be on the same network as the problematic PC but that didn't start it either..................

ressem wrote: »
    For this function to work in LogMeIn, I believe that a second active machine is required on that network also running logmein.
    Then that machine is used by LogMeIn (transparently without notifying anyone) to send the Magic Packet to the other machine's network card instructing it to tell the motherboard to power up.

Any chance that the second machine running logmein was in standby?

That's my understanding of how it all works too ressem, I had tried it with that powered on machine in both standby & fully active mode but it made no difference.

If I drive to that remote location & find that someone has unplugged that machine? I'll be all over the newspapers tomorrow :D

I doubt if that machine was actually plugged out that I'd still see it in Logmein with the option to "Switch on", would I?

• Advertisement
Advertisement