Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush Traffic

Options
  • 07-09-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Small rant

It took me 25 mins to get from Palmer Road to Lusk this morning in the car on my way to the city.

Why do so many parents drop there kids to school in the car and gridlock the main street and surrounding roads. Rush is hardly a huge place. Why do people not walk with their kids to school. Most houses in Rush would be within a 1 mile radius of the schools.

No wonder there is an obesity problem in children these days.

Also, why are tractors not banned from the roads in rush hour?

Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Maf180 wrote: »
    Small rant

It took me 25 mins to get from Palmer Road to Lusk this morning in the car on my way to the city.

Why do so many parents drop there kids to school in the car and gridlock the main street and surrounding roads. Rush is hardly a huge place. Why do people not walk with their kids to school. Most houses in Rush would be within a 1 mile radius of the schools.No wonder there is an obesity problem in children these days.

Risk of child abduction..........I know they have mobile phones, do that said I notice more kids walking and cycling to school in groups since we ranted on this topic last year. The price of gas for all those jeeps and SUVs might have had more of an impact do than ranting on Boards. Curiously we always seem to have an attempted abduction story in Rush at the start of every school summer holidays preventing little tubby Johnny from playing outside and forced to sit in front of his Xbox all day......

Rant over.

Ahh well when you live in market garden country its at a cost of getting stuck behind tractors. That tractor has most likely started work around 5ish so do you want them to down tools for 1-2 hours every morning and evening since most of the farmers have fields scattered throughout the town rather than in one block? Then do you apply the same law to JCBs , cyclists etc

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

i was stuck behind a load of tractors yesterday evening rush hour time and said the same thing really shouldn't be on the roads between 7am-10am and 6pm-9pm
    also the school problem is a joke there is no reason they couldn't walk in groups instead

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    i was stuck behind a load of tractors yesterday evening rush hour time and said the same thing really shouldn't be on the roads between 7am-10am and 6pm-9pm

Waiting for someone to complain that tractors shouldn't start work before 6 am because it disturbs their sleep.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Waiting for someone to complain that tractors shouldn't start work before 6 am because it disturbs their sleep.....

Well, I was on my way to get a loaf of bread, and some milk, from the Garage, got stuck behing a trailer full of Grain, and a slow moving Glanbia Truck.

Who do these people thing they are:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I am guessing part of the issue around the Rush National primary school at least is the traffic restrictions in place due to the "perfect planning" to dig up outside the school the week the kids return. This coupled with the restriction to the church carpark with the new improved layout/access :rolleyes:, isn't helping up that neck of the woods for sure.

• Advertisement

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I am guessing part of the issue around the Rush National primary school at least is the traffic restrictions in place due to the "perfect planning" to dig up outside the school the week the kids return. This coupled with the restriction to the church carpark with the new improved layout/access :rolleyes:, isn't helping up that neck of the woods for sure.

True but at least twice a year even before the roadworks and the new church car park layout the school use to have to issue warnings to parents who thought the national school was a drive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Small rant

Why do so many parents drop there kids to school in the car and gridlock the main street and surrounding roads. Rush is hardly a huge place. Why do people not walk with their kids to school. Most houses in Rush would be within a 1 mile radius of the schools.

Rant over.

Simple answer. Some people are pure Lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

It's always amusing that people are the victims of, rather than the participants in, the traffic jam

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It took me 25 mins to get from Palmer Road to Lusk this morning in the car on my way to the city
    Why don't you cycle to Dublin rather than contributing to the traffic problem. I do Rush to city centre in about 55 minutes and enjoy all the health benefits and fuel savings that go with it.
    Maf180 wrote:
    why are tractors not banned from the roads in rush hour?
    Is their work less important than yours? A better idea would be to ban all private cars during "rush hour".

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Maf180

Nice idea to cycle to work, but jut not practical. No showers at work and would be sopping with sweat after an hour cycle. My surrounding colleagues woudl no doubt be talking about me after a few days:)

I understand tractors need to work, and normally can live with them. It was just the amount of cars this morning just dropping 1 kid off annoyed me. The mothers standing talking to other mothers whilst there cars just sit there on side of road double parked.

Witha town like Rush with one way & one way out, something needs to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mickyd1000

Small rant

Might have more to do with the Panda bin lorries blocking up main roads at rush hour. Noticed same thing last friday.
    What really annoys me are the cars with one person heading out of rush blocking up the roads;)

seriously though if people wouldn't be so mad keen to block traffic from turning off the main street it would speed up a lot of the issues.

Secondary school bags are often to heavy for kids to carry, supposed to be codes to allow them to use online versions of the books for homework. But I can't seem to find them.
    Risk of child abduction..........I know they have mobile phones, do that said I notice more kids walking and cycling to school in groups since we ranted on this topic last year. The price of gas for all those jeeps and SUVs might have had more of an impact do than ranting on Boards. Curiously we always seem to have an attempted abduction story in Rush at the start of every school summer holidays preventing little tubby Johnny from playing outside and forced to sit in front of his Xbox all day......
    An unreasonable fear as the rate of child abduction is extremely low, still tragic when it happens. Might have better odds of winning the lottery. Just the media feeds us this story, I know when I was young people weren't afraid of it as it was so rare.
    24 hr news has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

I leave rush at 5.45. Lovely town at that time.

Small rant

Rant over.

Go the other way, up by the GAA, and out at Tesco, you will miss the Main St, and should have a free run to Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

quicker again, go through loughshinny and to the skerries / lusk road and straight out, or, go through balrothery and get on the m1 from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

kaahooters wrote: »
    quicker again, go through loughshinny and to the skerries / lusk road and straight out, or, go through balrothery and get on the m1 from there.

of course making sure that you take the Lusk bypass and not putting kids at risk in you haste to get whereever it is so important for you to be...

kaahooters wrote: »
    SeaSide wrote:
    of course making sure that you take the Lusk bypass and not putting kids at risk in you haste to get whereever it is so important for you to be...

No Guys, the problem with that route is he might get stuck at the Educate Together off the Lusk Byepass.

Only parent Free route I rekon, is, Loughshinny, Left to Skerries Rd, Left and Right to Man O War, right at Man o War and Left, down by Courtlough, ( fire off a few quick shots, for anger management), then left on Balbriggan Rd, to Applegreen and onto M1,
    No schools,
    ...maybe a few tractors though...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mickyd1000

Other options,

Helicopter can be expensive.
    Airplane as above but will require runway, as issue is getting clear section of road, public highway out of the question.
    Boat, power boat sail around from rush to Dublin bay. Needs somewhere to tie boat up, be expensive on fuel and not great in force 10 gales.
    Leave at 5 am and bring sleeping bag to finish sleep in car. Break in sleep might not suit all.
    Sleep in office, can be tricky especially with cleaners but avoids break in sleep.
    Work from home, difficult if your a nurse, teacher, shop worker or other job that requires you to be in office.
    Teleportation, still very early days in this field only able to move small amounts very short distance.
    Cloning, leave your clone in work or let them sit in traffic. Letting them sit in traffic means they may then clone themselves and you could soon find yourself with no room in your house as the number of clones will grow exponentially.
    Go postal in the office slapping manager, get dismissed blame it on psychiatric problems or blame parents get dole then disability allowance and retire. This option is extreme.
    Use the 25 minutes to write short stories about bondage with poor sex scenes call it some colour and publish all stories as trilogy and retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Small rant

Why do so many parents drop there kids to school in the car and gridlock the main street and surrounding roads. Rush is hardly a huge place. Why do people not walk with their kids to school. Most houses in Rush would be within a 1 mile radius of the schools...
    We live less than a mile from my sons school and despite the weight of my sons school bags he walks but some evenings he has a lot of stuff coming home and we pick him up. My daughter in primary has a silly amount of books to bring and perhaps not covering every subject every day would help we drop her near the school but never at the school.
    We live where there are footpaths so its not to bad for us but anyone who lives where there are no footpaths is right to take a lift BECAUSE WITH SOME OF THE DRIVERS ON THE ROADS THEY ARE IN DANGER.

Also if you get caught up with school traffic you really need to leave Rush earlier. Traffic in Rush builds up from 6.30 6.45. I leave Rush at 5.15 and some mornings tractors are already in the fields. They are on their way home for breakfast when you are leaving Rush
    No wonder there is an obesity problem in children these days..
    What causes the obesity Tractors or cars?;). The traffic has nothing to do with it. If parents got a little more involved in helping in clubs it would help obesity as most clubs struggle to cope with the kids they have
    Also, why are tractors not banned from the roads in rush hour? ..
    Because we need them. They are vital to the area and we need them way more than we need cars. Last week there was also some confusion as the signs for Killalane races were up on Wednesday saying roads were closed when they were open and this may have added to problem from Wed through to Friday

They pay tax and insurance and are as entitled to use the roads as you or me. Most tractors are back in the yard for 6pm so just get used to it. Wait until a wet and cold evening in November or December and try telling a farmer he cant go back to his yard until 9pm!!! After maybe 8 - 10 hours picking sprouts or carrotts. They are mostly on the road for an hour in the morning and the same in the evening. Do you remember Rush 20 - 25 years ago? when we probably had double the amount of tractors going to and from fields.
    also the school problem is a joke there is no reason they couldn't walk in groups instead
    There is and its called ridicousley heavy school bags.
    billyhead wrote: »
    Simple answer. Some people are pure Lazy
    Who do you mean? The car drivers bringing kids with heavy school bags to school or the people who leave Rush heading to Dublin on their own?
    mickyd1000 wrote: »
    Might have more to do with the Panda bin lorries blocking up main roads at rush hour. Noticed same thing last friday.
    What really annoys me are the cars with one person heading out of rush blocking up the roads;)

seriously though if people wouldn't be so mad keen to block traffic from turning off the main street it would speed up a lot of the issues.
    2 good points there. You can also add deliveries to shops. I pass 3 lorries every morning about 5.30 and this morning 1 at 5.15 which I was behind but they are gone off the roads before school time. However in Rush, Skerries and Balbriggan every morning I see delivery lorries clogging up roads when they could go a little earlier. Most of the shops they deliver to are open from 6am. So a little planning

See the Panda lorry on Main St at 8.30 last week AND NOTHING COULD GET BY IT, EITHER SIDE.

As has been pointed out there are a few things which would improve flow. Cars need to stop going into the yellow box at top of convent lane and let cars turn right to get to seconday school. Make Convent lane one way no traffic allowed up past school.
    Have a Garda or traffic warden at top of convent lane giving cars tickets for pulling up on the path at Care pharmacy. Ticket cars that park on path at Ocean Inn as they just run to A.T.M this can cause mayhem when you have cars parked legally on the opposite side of the road.

Use a walking train from Tesco car park to Rush N.S. St. Catherines school has walking train from the soccer pitch and this works well. The principle of Rush N.S has made numerous requests to try and improve traffic flow but you are guarenteed the next morning someone will do the exact opposite.

Wait ..... Eureka....... BAN FARMING

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I would imagine that at least some of the traffic problems, are down to the fact that a lot of the larger and higher vehicles heading for Skerries, come through Rush main street, due to the low railway bridge as you enter Skerries on the R127

Maybe Rush badly needs a ring road somewhere between Whitestown road and the Skerries road, beyond St. Catherines?

And maybe the low bridge entering Skerries, is long overdue a planning revision?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

a lot of the larger and higher vehicles heading for Skerries, come through Rush main street, due to the low railway bridge as you enter Skerries on the R127
    Some large vehicles avoid Rush by going up the Skerries road to Finnegan's Corner and then via Loughshinny.

That low bridge has its advantages also as the 33 bus route is forced to go via Rush. If the low bridge wasn't there the town could suffer the effects of Dublin Bus service cutbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

That low bridge has its advantages also as the 33 bus route is forced to go via Rush. If the low bridge wasn't there the town could suffer the effects of Dublin Bus service cutbacks.

Yep, I've heard the 'If it wasn't for the low bridge in Skerries, the 33 wouldn't even come to Rush' comment in the past. I don't necessarily believe it though.

I also recall a non statutory process a few years back that proposed to build a new road between Rush and Lusk to replace the dodgy R128. Why did it not progress? Because some people in Lusk didn't want it to happen in case it led to over development. So the people of Rush lost out.

Then there was the proposal for the ring road in Rush some years back. Again local opposition to that because it was linked to development.

The reality is that Rush has been developed back to front, so to speak. In other words, Goldenridge should have been the last area to be developed out. Kenure should have been developed first because the infrastructure such as a distributor road could have been delivered, even incrementally. This would have served existing social infrastructure such as St Maurs GAA and the proposed new secondary school site. It also would have brought traffic that did not need to travel via Rush Main St away from areas of congestion. Thus eliminating issues such as that of the OP.

But sure it's too late to be crying over spilled milk now. It's unlikely Rush will change in the next 10 years so we'll have to get used to it.

By the way, I used to cycle from Rush to Santry and back some years ago for work. Wouldn't and couldn't do it now!!! :-)

I would imagine that at least some of the traffic problems, are down to the fact that a lot of the larger and higher vehicles heading for Skerries, come through Rush main street, due to the low railway bridge as you enter Skerries on the R127

Maybe Rush badly needs a ring road somewhere between Whitestown road and the Skerries road, beyond St. Catherines?

And maybe the low bridge entering Skerries, is long overdue a planning revision?

That ring road was on the cards from what I recall, I think the route was suppose to run from the junction of whitestown road/old road up past the back of Hayestown, and out then via Palmer road, not sure what happened to it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Child abduction.
    School bags too heavy.
    Ban tractors.
    All bo**oxology...

What the hell do you think that the rest of us did growing up? we dragged ourselves to and from school and we went in groups so we were safe.

Farmers have jobs too you know.

Society in Ireland has grown so soft and "convenienced" over the last 20 years as to make me feel sick to be part of it sometimes, weve become so used to jumping in the car to complete a journey which would only take 5 - 10 mins to walk and yet complain when we end up sitting in the car for 15 minutes in traffic, its actually a little insane!

People need to send the kids out the door in the morning and not think about it, they will be fine.

books too heavy? most posters here, including those complaining, probably remember going to school with a small crate on their back in ALL weather AND we didnt have portable communications back to my own family nor laptops etc to type everything on.

Once we (as a society) pardon the sexism in this statement, but man the f**k up, the sooner we will start to move forward again.

Morphéus wrote: »
    Child abduction.
    School bags too heavy.
    Ban tractors.
    All bo**oxology...

What the hell do you think that the rest of us did growing up? we dragged ourselves to and from school and we went in groups so we were safe.

Farmers have jobs too you know.

Society in Ireland has grown so soft and "convenienced" over the last 20 years as to make me feel sick to be part of it sometimes, weve become so used to jumping in the car to complete a journey which would only take 5 - 10 mins to walk and yet complain when we end up sitting in the car for 15 minutes in traffic, its actually a little insane!

People need to send the kids out the door in the morning and not think about it, they will be fine.

books too heavy? most posters here, including those complaining, probably remember going to school with a small crate on their back in ALL weather AND we didnt have portable communications back to my own family nor laptops etc to type everything on.

Once we (as a society) pardon the sexism in this statement, but man the f**k up, the sooner we will start to move forward again.

What I think is insane is the weight of my 10 yr old and 14 yr old school bags. We (well I) didnt have anything like it to carry to school. There needs to be more planning around what they need to carry to school. I do however agree some kids and some adults need to be more independent and walk to shops but as I said earlier the state of some of the roads for walking are deplorable.

And no the streets are not as safe as they were 20 years ago.

Back to topic. Rush needed that ring road / by-pass and now more than ever. Far too many cars are using Palmer Rd and Park rd as short cuts and these roads are just suitable for the volume of traffic they take.

I thought the original ring road was to go very close to Woodland Pk and this caused quite a few objections. I also heard the ring Rd was to go around by the back of Hayestown, pas the G.A.A Club and out on far side of St. Catherines whichever is true we badly need it.

LeoB wrote: »
    I thought the original ring road was to go very close to Woodland Pk and this caused quite a few objections. I also heard the ring Rd was to go around by the back of Hayestown, pas the G.A.A Club and out on far side of St. Catherines whichever is true we badly need it.

Yeah there was a few variations being discussed as you mentioned not sure what was gonna be the final option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

If a ring road is ever built, I think it should come out somewhere beyond St. Catherine's, further up towards Loughshinny.
    Palmer road is now too populated to have large volumes of traffic using it.

(Going a bit off topic in this next sentence, sorry mods)
    I don't live on Palmer road, but I often see cars coming at a fair speed from the Gaa club end and not slowing down at all, as they enter the populated end :(

Back on topic, whether it be school runs, or tractors, or people going to work or shopping, the population in Rush exploded and the road infrastructure remained pretty much the same as it was before.

That can't be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Maf180

Glad my initial thread has got so many people talking.

I live on Palmer Road, and unless some speed restrictions are put in place there could be a major road accident in future.

You regularly get boy racers up and down at all speeds. The area is home to lots of young families and kids regularly playing outside (like the good old days) and I dread the worst.

It is used as a way of avoiding the main street and its not realy practical. The strip from the Gaa Club down to the Palmer Avenue estate is in bits.

A bypass would be great but difficult to construct I would say, too many one off houses/farmers land would need to be bought/cpo'd. Saying that I expect many farmers would take any money on offer to sell up at the moment in these tough times.

Glad my initial thread has got so many people talking.

I live on Palmer Road, and unless some speed restrictions are put in place there could be a major road accident in future.

You regularly get boy racers up and down at all speeds. The area is home to lots of young families and kids regularly playing outside (like the good old days) and I dread the worst.

It is used as a way of avoiding the main street and its not realy practical. The strip from the Gaa Club down to the Palmer Avenue estate is in bits.

A bypass would be great but difficult to construct I would say, too many one off houses/farmers land would need to be bought/cpo'd. Saying that I expect many farmers would take any money on offer to sell up at the moment in these tough times.

St. Maurs have campaigned since 1980 for improvments to that Road and also the piece from Club to Kenure lawns. We have had numerous promises but all to no avail. Its scandelous to think that an area with the biggest concentration of Children in Rush, Palmer Rd and the estates off it, Clifflands, Lambay view and St Catherines, approx 700houses do not have access to the G.A.A. clubhouse (where other sports are catered for) because no parent in their right mind would let a child go up there on their own.

On the speeding on Palmer Rd and around Rush in general it aint only boy races. I was passed the oter day by a car and if anyone had pulled out or a child ran out after a ball........... She had to be doing about 70mph. I didnt get her number but phoned the Gardái.

I cant see a bypass happening in the next few years. It would be great for the town and free up the streets.

The route I believe was closest to use was from Tesco up by back of Woodland Pk by the G.A.A. club and out just past St. Catherines scoccer pitch. Residents in Woodland felt it was too close to their houses was one objection I had heard about.

Advertisement