Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Cyclepath

Options
  • 07-09-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all, there have been a number of threads over the years on this subject but struggled to find a recent one.
    Does anybody know if there are plans to upgrade the towpath between Clonsilla to Castleknock. It seems half finished from Clonsilla to Porterstown but a complete job would have to be done from Porterstown to Coolmine as it is very narrow with many tree roots through the surface. I think if it was pathed there would be a good amount of use from it and would be a great cycle route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

iw ould defo use it if they fixed it. i walk my dog down there a fair bit but sometimes there does be a good few skumbags drinking there under the new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

I was looking at all the old threads last week, as have been trying to get out on the bike more.

Nothing was that recent (as you found), so I went ahead anyway, and did Clonsilla to Drumcondra, and Lexilip to Clonsilla in the last week. If you need to know what it's like - see below).

Fingal's Royal Canal Strategic plan is at http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/StudiesandReports/RoyalCanalReport/publications,30823,en.pdf, with the Castleknock to Clonsilla section at pages 26-32. So plans aplenty, but no dates, and whether they are to be carried out, I'm unsure

[Clonsilla (Porterstown to Castleknock station) - Literally scary. I'd be up for most stuff, but with the overgrown undergrowth, exposed rocks and roots and mud, it it's a genuinely difficult ride. Don't get me wrong - you could happily potter along at 5mph, but I needed to get somewhere. There are numerous animal runs/pot holes leading down to the canal - and obviously the 20 foot drop to the canal.

So in summary - passable, but hard work, and I definitely wouldn't take my kids down.]

Leixlip to Clonsilla (Viaduct to Clonsilla station) - In pretty good nick. There are virtually no paved sections, so you're on grass or a mud track all the way. However, as it's not used as much, the path is much easier and obviously there is no life threatening plunge to the canal

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

There was a public consultation recently on upgrading the canal. Don't know when the results will be actioned.

http://www.kierandennison.com/2012/05/royal-canal-green-way-study.html

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

National Transport Authority have engaged Consultants to carry out the design and public Consultation, you should contact them for an update

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I only ran the section between the 12th Lock and Clonsilla Station on Saturday. From a running point of view, the over run wild part is much more enjoyable and scenic, it has that whole in the middle of nowhere vibe to it, I prefer it to the improved sections.

Obviouly I fully understand the benefits, and reasons, to upgrade the section. But I can see the difficulty too, some of the section is very narrow, and because it backs up to houses one one side, and a big drop into the canal the other, I imagine it's a much more complicated job and expensive job than say the section from Clonsilla onwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Renno wrote: »

Leixlip to Clonsilla (Viaduct to Clonsilla station) - In pretty good nick. There are virtually no paved sections, so you're on grass or a mud track all the way. However, as it's not used as much, the path is much easier and obviously there is no life threatening plunge to the canal

The stretch either side of rail bridge for Hansfield is rather narrow and quite slippy after rain. The ground gets really soggy / muddy and loose along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

FCC have published the Royal Canal Greenway Feasibility Report

The report is 58MB and 388 pages.

I glanced over the bits about the section between Coolmine and Castleknock train stations. One suggestion has pedestrian traffic lights at Coolmine level crossing and similar at Castleknock train station (though better options are also examined).

My suggestion for a path extending past the canal banks (around Deep Sinking area) gets a mention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

daymobrew wrote: »
    One suggestion has pedestrian traffic lights at Coolmine level crossing and similar at Castleknock train station (though better options are also examined).

Is that required? I use that station every day and only times I see people need to cross the road there is after getting off the train. They've enough time to cross over if needed when the barriers are down. Traffic can be bad enough on that stretch as it is. I wouldn't of thought it needed another set of lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They seem to love putting in lights. They put in about a dozen lights at parklands in laurel lodge, widened the road, adding a lane, then reduced it at the lights to one lane where the biggest demand is. Bonkers.

The issue with coolmine is if you get to the road when the barrier is lifted the cars are backed up for a quite a while, so its hard to cross until that clears in about 5 mins. So while light might help a few people crossing at peak time it will be a PITA the other 24hrs.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    They seem to love putting in lights. They put in about a dozen lights at parklands in laurel lodge, widened the road, adding a lane, then reduced it at the lights to one lane where the biggest demand is. Bonkers.
    Where are these 12 lights?
    Wasn't it always 1 lane each way at the botom of Laurel Lodge? Castleknock Road is one lane each way so feeding 2 lanes into 1 would cause problems. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't want to drag this off topic.
    Well approx 12. I wasn't being exact. Theres a couple of pedestrian signals and lights for priority right and left. With a Parklands first road in.

Previously it was all two lanes out (one left one right) one lane in. Its now 3 lanes out, one left, two right (one is a buslane) and one in. But at parklands (bus stop) because of the lights and turning lanes for left and right, its narrowed to one lane in and one lane out.

I was given that partly the reason for all these lights, was because of problems with tailbacks of cars coming into the estate stopping to turn right. But I never remember this as a problem, as you can go another 800m or so and take the 2nd right turn. Why it needed such a complicated junction and so many lights I have no idea.
    My point really was they have a tendency to over design junctions. Usually making it a lot more expensive than needs be.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/PlanningItemsOnDisplay/RoyalCanalGreenway-display17012013-14032/

FCC have published proposals to develop the towpath between Ashtown train station and 12th Lock. Submissions can be made up to 14th March 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

daymobrew wrote: »
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/PlanningItemsOnDisplay/RoyalCanalGreenway-display17012013-14032/

FCC have published proposals to develop the towpath between Ashtown train station and 12th Lock. Submissions can be made up to 14th March 2013.
    so still no progress being made on clonsilla-castleknock?

triple-M wrote: »
    so still no progress being made on clonsilla-castleknock?
    Not that I know. It is a much more difficult stretch to upgrade because of the lack of space.

Much of the Castleknock/Ashtown stretch has been upgraded, the proposals seem to make it much better.

When I make a submission on it I will suggest an access point to Navan Road Parkway station (though I will acknowledge that scum bags may abuse this - though they won't need a gate).
    I will also suggest that they don't install a cycle gate, but rather omit it initially as an experiment. They will be installing CCTV. If there is abuse of the towpath they will see that on CCTV and then install one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There is a gate into the back of the train station there, but it's locked all the time afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

bump for an update

Can anyone tell me how far out this path is cyclable? Cant see to find anything online other than a map from irish walkways. Looking at google maps, it seems that there is now a cyclepath as far as castleknock station, and some sort of path out as far as clonsilla station, possibly further.

I work in lucan but live in ashtown, and looking at possible cycle routes. Was wondering whether a path would be available as far out as Collinsbridge (Lucan to Ongar/Clonee road)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Seems like a long circular route. Probably 15k or more likely closer to 20 ? and I assume you can't go that fast on those paths.

I've not done this but its 11k. Not sure of some of the shortcuts. Thats probably a 30 min route?

http://tinyurl.com/o4gzc2w

Maybe someone else has tried it. I wouldn't be too keen on Strawberry beds, but theres always cyclists on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I don't really mind the length if I can fly along without traffic or the need to cross too many roads. was just wondering whether the path past castleknock was suitable for a bike.

I agree with the strawberry beds, would not like to cycle along there at all

I've not done it. I'd like to take a spin up it some weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

retalivity wrote: »
    I don't really mind the length if I can fly along without traffic or the need to cross too many roads. was just wondering whether the path past castleknock was suitable for a bike.

I cycle along the pathway from Clonsilla to Confey regularly. There is no proper pathway but the regular grass path has well worn in tracks that you can safely cycle in. Its doable on a regular city bike, no need for mountain bike.

Can anyone tell me how far out this path is cyclable? Cant see to find anything online other than a map from irish walkways. Looking at google maps, it seems that there is now a cyclepath as far as castleknock station, and some sort of path out as far as clonsilla station, possibly further.

I work in lucan but live in ashtown, and looking at possible cycle routes. Was wondering whether a path would be available as far out as Collinsbridge (Lucan to Ongar/Clonee road)
    You are right, there is a cycle path as far as Castleknock station. Between Castleknock station and Porterstown Road it is mucky. After that it is paved for a bit and then grassy.

To get to Collinsbridge you could go to Castleknock station, then on road through Laurel Lodge/Carpenterstown to Porterstown Road (near new Luttrellstown Community College secondary school) and onto the regular roads (Luttrellstown Road), past Westmanstown Golf club and turn right toward the Ongar/Clonee Road. It's not the most pleasant on those regular roads during commute hours but I think that that would be the shortest route. (I don't have time atm to make a map).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I was planning on cycling to Mullingar along the canal from Drumcondra, is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I was planning on cycling to Mullingar along the canal from Drumcondra, is that possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

budgemook wrote: »

I did it last summer, yes it's possible, you can easily leave Drumcondra in the morning, get to Mullingar by late afternoon or evening and take a train home.

Some difficult bits but mostly fine. Ironically the worst bit is around Coolmine. Kilcock to near Enfield was bumpy and after that it's mown grass and farm tracks to near Kinnegad. The last bit from near Kinnegad to Mullingar is excellent cycle paths.

Thread here on it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85607404

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I got the train from Ashtown this morning: the towpath beyond the station is currently out of bounds because workmen are carrying out upgrades. Maybe try the Inland Waterways website for information on when those works are due to end?

The problem is there no route to Lucan that doesn't involve country roads.

Which is I assume why you want to go to Collinsbridge

You can use the cycle lane from ashtown to Castleknock Station and join the canal there.
    http://tinyurl.com/q5cgrwm

I got the train from Ashtown this morning: the towpath beyond the station is currently out of bounds because workmen are carrying out upgrades. Maybe try the Inland Waterways website for information on when those works are due to end?
    They were supposed to be finished toward the end of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Towpath between Ashtown and Castleknock is coming along but it must have a month or more of work left. There are Lamposts erected all along the pathway but its not quite ready for a final surface yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Raul.

anyone knows if it is still closed??

Advertisement