Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Cyclepath

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

yep still closed and at current rate of progress will be a while yet.

lights and cctv to be installed and top surface....

been down there over a few weeks and not a lot happening from week to week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I emailed Waterways Ireland. They told me that it is due to be completed by the end of April.

The project is being coordinated by the Operations Department of FCC from their Grove Road offices behind the Blanchardstown Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Raul.

Thanks for sharing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Was thinking of cycling to Westmeath tomorrow along the canal. Anyone know it the work has finished or if it's passable?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

hi
    just back from a walk down there
    all very passable at the moment. a little rough underfoot where the new surface is not laid
    very slight chance they might put back up barriers by tomorrow but highly unlikely I'd say

fasterbetter

• Advertisement

hi
    just back from a walk down there
    all very passable at the moment. a little rough underfoot where the new surface is not laid
    very slight chance they might put back up barriers by tomorrow but highly unlikely I'd say

fasterbetter
    Thanks. Doubt there'll be much work done on a bank holiday

Earlier in the week there was an impassable barrier at the M50 Aquaduct part. It looked like there was new tarmac on the eastern side of the aquaduct.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Earlier in the week there was an impassable barrier at the M50 Aquaduct part. It looked like there was new tarmac on the eastern side of the aquaduct.

Are you saying I'd be stuck at the m50?

budgemook wrote: »
    Are you saying I'd be stuck at the m50?
    On Friday morning I saw a guy heading east from 12th Lock towards that barrier. I wasn't able to wait to see if he came back.

If the barrier is still there you have two choices:
    1) Bypass the Ashtown/12th Lock stretch and go along the parallel Navan Road and rejoin at 12th Lock.
    2) Go along the towpath and double back a little if the barrier is still there. Here is the double back route: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6293346
    It uses a pedestrian bridge over the M50.

I went down anyways. I saw a barrier at the m50 but it looked someone had thrown it aside.

Overall the terrain down to westmeath is very mixed. From around 12th lock to Coolmine it's like a forrest trail, from kilcock to Enfield is like a field, very little track at all.

Everything else ranges from grassy country boreen to near enough a back country road.

Lovely cycle with lovely views and wildlife but bring a mountain bike and spare tubes. A puncture each and a broken pump meant we called it a day at Thomastown (Nanny Quinn's pub and restaurant), took a lift to Mullingar and got the train home. The hybrid doesn't really cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

This morning I cycled from Clonsilla to Coolmine.
    As above, the first bit up to the Porterstown bridge was decent surface, something I wouldn't mind using on a daily basis.
    Then things changed.
    And it was awesome.
    The roots, the rocks, the muck, the intimidating drop to the water on one side. I was catapulted back to my MTB days when I was younger, it was tremendous fun. When I got to Coolmine I realised that I actually needed to get to work today and headed for Delwood road.
    It's not a section for slick tyres - even the wide ones I have. I'd love to do this every morning, but it would take me much longer to get to work.
    Also disappointing to note was the ^no bicycles^ sign at the start of that section. Not sure if it was because of wheels churning up more muck or if it's another case of nanny state style "health and safety".
    I might have a look at the Coolmine to Castleknock section some other morning to see if it's as suitable or as much fun. =0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't remember seeing a no bicycle sign on it the last time I did it.

Last time I did the bit from Porterstown to Coolmine and its misleading it looks like its going to be a bark laid/dirt path. But about 5 mins down it, its changes into a root strewn path. Also bit of it have rough spilled concrete which is just unpleasant. You think it will improve but it really doesn't. Maybe its better than my memory of it.

The stretch from Coolmine to Castleknock, is more enjoyable. A lot narrower, bigger drop, and very little margin for error. Roots but not as many.

But all of it really requires a MTB with knobbly tires, perhaps even some suspension. Its not something I'd commute on. Especially not in the dark, or a wet day/night, and probably not on your own. As if you fall its a big drop. On a good day I met a good few walkers on it.

I don't think the Royal works as a commuting route. Its much faster by road. I use the canal when its a nice day and I want a change of scenery. I go in as far as Dorset Street, from Castleknock Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Anyone still using this route? Have to admit I've not used it. Going by road is easier. Thinking of going if the weather keeps up though.

Advertisement