Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters in Law

• 07-09-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I am just looking for advice please. I have an LLB Hons. degree and I am trying to decide what LLM Program to do. Is an LLM actually worth the investment? Jobs are scarce but I am also wondering what jobs are available for you with an LLB degree and LLM? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

Dude, my bro did the LLM about 4 years ago after a BCL. He found the BCL of little use in securing employment in legal sector so really had no choice but to upskill. In reality a basic honours degree is the minimum required out there, you really got to aim higher. FWIW bro got work after with civil service but is now doing a BL, (even though has no plans to be one :eek:), to enhance his cv for future prospects. .....jeeze ive got so much catchin up to do , bummer.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I did an LL.M last year and didn't get any work from it, in saying that I gave up trying after a couple of months and decided to work part time and pursue the FE1's. I did get offered a position abroad though but I'm a homebird so I said I would stay put for now. So there is opportunities out there if you are willing to go looking constantly. A masters would help you with regard employment abroad I feel, especially if you do an LL.M in international law or human rights.

With regard the actual masters itself, I never felt under pressure, we had 8 hours of lectures every week - spread over 3 days the first semester and spread over 2 days the next semester. Then we finished up the end of April and had till the start of October to hand in our dissertation. I thoroughly enjoyed my LL.M, I loved all the subjects and really enjoying reading around them and doing assignments for them, this obviously makes a huge difference and maybe that's why I felt it wasn't too bad to get through, as I didn't want it to end. Maybe I'll consider a PhD if and when I complete the nasty FE1's if end up not getting anything from those.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As an FYI, the Open University are doing a Masters in Law, which is available part-time/distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

chops018 wrote: »
    I did an LL.M last year and didn't get any work from it, in saying that I gave up trying after a couple of months and decided to work part time and pursue the FE1's. I did get offered a position abroad though but I'm a homebird so I said I would stay put for now. So there is opportunities out there if you are willing to go looking constantly. A masters would help you with regard employment abroad I feel, especially if you do an LL.M in international law or human rights.

With regard the actual masters itself, I never felt under pressure, we had 8 hours of lectures every week - spread over 3 days the first semester and spread over 2 days the next semester. Then we finished up the end of April and had till the start of October to hand in our dissertation. I thoroughly enjoyed my LL.M, I loved all the subjects and really enjoying reading around them and doing assignments for them, this obviously makes a huge difference and maybe that's why I felt it wasn't too bad to get through, as I didn't want it to end. Maybe I'll consider a PhD if and when I complete the nasty FE1's if end up not getting anything from those.

I'm surprised at the hours you did! I'm considering doing a masters when I finish my LLB. I would of thought I'd be doing it part time but with them hours I could probably manage it full time.

Can I ask where did you do it? Anyone else have any ideas what the contact hours are like, say for example in Trinity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

keano007 wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the hours you did! I'm considering doing a masters when I finish my LLB. I would of thought I'd be doing it part time but with them hours I could probably manage it full time.

Can I ask where did you do it? Anyone else have any ideas what the contact hours are like, say for example in Trinity?

Trinity is six hours per week. Three two-hour modules per semester.

Lots of people on the course were "part time" - if you were lucky you could be in two days a week, max three.

The research dissertation is equivalent of three modules - thats something to consider in terms of work/life balance and study too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

Hi there. I am just looking for advice please. I have an LLB Hons. degree and I am trying to decide what LLM Program to do. Is an LLM actually worth the investment? Jobs are scarce but I am also wondering what jobs are available for you with an LLB degree and LLM? Thanks!

Depends on the college you want to go to. You should always try to go for one that has a higher status than your LLB. It's a way to upgrade yourself. It's not a magic bullet though. If you do it it should be because 1) you have an interest in a particular area and want to show that interest to potential employers, or , 2) you want to go into academia.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

I just finished an LLM this year and i managed to secure an internship in a top firm (which I couldn't with just my undergrad) and am hopeful for a traineeship). In that respect I think they are worth the investment but there were plenty of interns without LLMs.

The most important aspect is whether you want to do an LLM. I wanted to do an LLM and I enjoyed it.

As for jobs abroad especially in Europe, postgrad education is much more common and more likely to boost your ability to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I don't see the point of a masters in law straight after a law degree; you will have nothing to offer the masters yourself by way of real world experience so won't take a whole lot from it. Employers mainly care about experience. If you are set on doing a masters though I would recommend doing the Law Society diplomas; you will learn just as much and not have to pay anywhere near as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

I don't see the point of a masters in law straight after a law degree; you will have nothing to offer the masters yourself by way of real world experience so won't take a whole lot from it. Employers mainly care about experience. If you are set on doing a masters though I would recommend doing the Law Society diplomas; you will learn just as much and not have to pay anywhere near as much.

I think the point is, many people cannot get "real world" experience at the moment because they can't get more than a PFO. They're looking for an edge.

There's always volunteering while doing your Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lawstheremedy

Im a final year BCL student considering doing a masters in International Buisness Law at trinity or the Professional Diploma in Arbitration at UCD as something different. I do have an interest in both but ultimately I want to attain a traineeship, any advice? Should I save a small fortune and just commit myself to the deadly FE1s?? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Im a final year BCL student considering doing a masters in International Buisness Law at trinity or the Professional Diploma in Arbitration at UCD as something different. I do have an interest in both but ultimately I want to attain a traineeship, any advice? Should I save a small fortune and just commit myself to the deadly FE1s?? Thanks!

What have you done so far in regards to getting yourself in the door of a law firm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lawstheremedy

I would say I have my foot in the door of a medium size firm in Cork city , so I do have experience and prob could get an apprenticeship there. Financially though, with Blackhall costs and that one of the larger Dublin firms would be ideal.

Advertisement