Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are these symptoms of a failing motherboard???

• 07-09-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

So my computer has began causing some massive issues.
    Win7 Ultimate 64x
    Core 2 Quad 6700
    Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo
    Nvidia 460GTX
    4GB Ram (cant remember model but its Corsair)
    500gb Seagate HDD
    40GB PS3 (Hitachi) HDD

1. Last week turned on computer and windows failed to boot, It loaded as far as the windows logo and then the computer rebooted into an endless loop. I managed to boot into safe mode and tried to save some files (suspecting immanent HDD failure), Started fine in safe mode but computer just froze when i tried to copy any large files. (Highly suspected HDD failure at this point.)

2. Decided to install my old 40gb HDD from my PS3 (reformatted it and installed Vista as i dont have my win7 cd (;)). Now this HDD is doing the exact same. I tried copying files from an external HDD to the Vista HDD and it freezes when i try to copy/cut any files.

Would this be a sign of a motherboard failure? Iv tested both the 40GB and the 500GB HDD with chkdisk and the 40gb came up clean, the 500gb came up with a number of errors which were fixed but i suspect there are alot more that cannot be fixed.

Im almost 100% sure that the 500GB is on its last legs but i dont know why the 40GB is displaying the same symptoms (freezing when i try to copy files) when its perfectly healthy.

Can anyone help

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey folks,

So my computer has began causing some massive issues.
    Win7 Ultimate 64x
    Core 2 Quad 6700
    Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo
    Nvidia 460GTX
    4GB Ram (cant remember model but its Corsair)
    500gb Seagate HDD
    40GB PS3 (Hitachi) HDD

1. Last week turned on computer and windows failed to boot, It loaded as far as the windows logo and then the computer rebooted into an endless loop. I managed to boot into safe mode and tried to save some files (suspecting immanent HDD failure), Started fine in safe mode but computer just froze when i tried to copy any large files. (Highly suspected HDD failure at this point.)

2. Decided to install my old 40gb HDD from my PS3 (reformatted it and installed Vista as i dont have my win7 cd (;)). Now this HDD is doing the exact same. I tried copying files from an external HDD to the Vista HDD and it freezes when i try to copy/cut any files.

Would this be a sign of a motherboard failure? Iv tested both the 40GB and the 500GB HDD with chkdisk and the 40gb came up clean, the 500gb came up with a number of errors which were fixed but i suspect there are alot more that cannot be fixed.

Im almost 100% sure that the 500GB is on its last legs but i dont know why the 40GB is displaying the same symptoms (freezing when i try to copy files) when its perfectly healthy.

Can anyone help
    It could be a number of things. Could even be the SATA cable/SATA controller is the culprit! Check the motherboard for any bulging capacitors, usually these will cause freezes at random during startup and not BSODs though. Could also be a memory module has gone faulty (try memtest86+ on the sticks and see how it goes).
    also check to make sure nothing is overheating, hard disk, GPU/CPU etc.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

yoyo wrote: »
    It could be a number of things. Could even be the SATA cable/SATA controller is the culprit! Check the motherboard for any bulging capacitors, usually these will cause freezes at random during startup and not BSODs though. Could also be a memory module has gone faulty (try memtest86+ on the sticks and see how it goes).
    also check to make sure nothing is overheating, hard disk, GPU/CPU etc.

Nick

Cheers Nick, Ill get started on the Memtest now. Checked temps for the GPU, CPU, None of them are exceeding 45 Deg which is perfect really. Im gonna swap around some SATA cables and see whats happening.

One other strange thing, For some reason my monitor is not using its full resolution. Before when the bios message would use the full resolution now the outer 20% is not used. Its really strange. It occurs on both the 40gb hdd and the 500gb. Its as if the monitor is not recognised.

Cheers Nick, Ill get started on the Memtest now. Checked temps for the GPU, CPU, None of them are exceeding 45 Deg which is perfect really. Im gonna swap around some SATA cables and see whats happening.

One other strange thing, For some reason my monitor is not using its full resolution. Before when the bios message would use the full resolution now the outer 20% is not used. Its really strange. It occurs on both the 40gb hdd and the 500gb. Its as if the monitor is not recognised.

Try pressing "Auto Adjust" button when booting up, that may fix this particular issue. I don't think they are related.

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Try pressing "Auto Adjust" button when booting up, that may fix this particular issue. I don't think they are related.

Nick

is there a default button for this? Cant find it on the post screen.

is there a default button for this? Cant find it on the post screen.

It would be on the display itself, beside the power button usually, what monitor you have? Brand & model #

Nick

• Advertisement

Asus VH242

Asus VH242

Heres how to use the auto adjust feature:
    1Immi.jpg

Nick

Advertisement