Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banksy - fair comment or kinda ironic, considering

• 07-09-2012 12:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

People are taking the piss out of you everyday. They butt into your life, take a cheap shot at you and then disappear.

They leer at you from tall buildings and make you feel small. They make flippant comments from buses that imply you’re not sexy enough and that all the fun is happening somewhere else.

They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate. They have access to the most sophisticated technology the world has ever seen and they bully you with it. They are The Advertisers and they are laughing at you.

You, however, are forbidden to touch them. Trademarks, intellectual property rights and copyright law mean advertisers can say what they like wherever they like with total impunity.

F*ck that. Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It’s yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do whatever you like with it. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock someone just threw at your head.

You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don’t owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don’t even start asking for theirs.

- Banksy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Say what??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

My cat's name is Mittens - Ralph Wiggum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Thanks I'd love an omlette right about now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Banksy is rubbish.

EDIT: Do agree with him, though.

EDIT II: What I mean is, I agree with the statement as a whole when it comes to the media. Some of it, though, makes him quite the hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

'They should be paying us to eat this sh1t. The secret ingredient is crime' - Superhands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

old hippy wrote: »
    People are taking the piss out of you everyday. They butt into your life, take a cheap shot at you and then disappear.

What do you expect with incoherent rants like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

No, cheesecake. Man, I'd love cheesecake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I had no idea literacy rates were so low in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

He's a talented artist, and i can see his point, i'd love some chesecake tho ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

D1stant wrote: »
    What do you expect with incoherent rants like that?

What's incoherent about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Thinking makes my head hurt - davet82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

He's a talented artist, and i can see his point, i'd love some chesecake tho ..

More of a robbo fan myself...

I hate cheesecake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

They leer at you from tall buildings and make you feel small. They make flippant comments from buses that imply you’re not sexy enough and that all the fun is happening somewhere else.

They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate. They have access to the most sophisticated technology the world has ever seen and they bully you with it. They are The Advertisers and they are laughing at you.

You, however, are forbidden to touch them. Trademarks, intellectual property rights and copyright law mean advertisers can say what they like wherever they like with total impunity.

F*ck that. Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It’s yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do whatever you like with it. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock someone just threw at your head.

You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don’t owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don’t even start asking for theirs.

- Banksy

Bill Hicks:

By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising...kill yourself. Thank you. Just planting seeds, planting seeds is all I'm doing. No joke here, really. Seriously, kill yourself, you have no rationalisation for what you do, you are Satan's little helpers. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show. Seriously, I know the marketing people: 'There's gonna be a joke comin' up.' There's no ****in' joke. Suck a tail pipe, hang yourself...borrow a pistol from an NRA buddy, do something...rid the world of your evil ****in' presence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I totally agree with each paragraph but have no idea wherw he is going with it .
    Do I have to go graffiti something .?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I think he needs to be less offended by inanimate objects. I like Banksy and I think a lot of his work is very clever but the only reason he's playing the offended-by-adverts card is to justify what he does to them in the name of art.

I like his style but I'd prefer if it was delivered in a way that didn't interfere with other people's property

cloptrop wrote: »
    I totally agree with each paragraph but have no idea wherw he is going with it .
    Do I have to go graffiti something .?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_jamming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Decco woz ere

-Decco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

So we have to go deface adverts . Fair enough . Out to the shed to get me paint and me stick for stiring it so .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Interesting! Fair play Banksy. Although by reconfiguring ad's you're kinda doing just the same. :(

Zulu wrote: »
    Interesting! Fair play Banksy. Although by reconfiguring ad's you're kinda doing just the same. :(

Therein lies the irony -it's not for him to decide what people should or shouldn't see no more than it is for greedy corporations.

Personally, I'm a little offended that they underestimate my ability to ignore all of them

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »

The idea is to point out how advertising, so on, can severely colour your perception of the world, how you look at yourself, how you look at the opposite sex, same sex, yadda yadda.

http://www.billboardliberation.com/2010/09/30/stella-artois-a-thing-of-beauty/

gara wrote: »
    Therein lies the irony -it's not for him to decide what people should or shouldn't see no more than it is for greedy corporations.

Personally, I'm a little offended that they underestimate my ability to ignore all of them

I'm surprised that you doubt the stupidity of the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Zab wrote: »
    I had no idea literacy rates were so low in Ireland.

EDIT: Whoops! I take that mean comment back. Wow, just realised what you were talking about (perhaps I should reflect on your words myself!).

Apologies Zab. Friends?

xoxoxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Banksy is involved in the advertising business himself, advertising brand Banksy. It's a good marketing model.

I presume that is what the OP means by the irony of his statement.

But I think Banksy's stuff provokes thought. Whether you agree with it or not is immaterial. Marketing campaigns don't stimulate thought - they seek to enforce a series of corporate ideas, no?

Banksy is involved in the advertising business himself, advertising brand Banksy. It's a good marketing model.

I presume that is what the OP means by the irony of his statement.

But to what avail? I mean, he can't sell his canvases.

I'm surprised that you doubt the stupidity of the masses.

Where did I mention anything about the masses?
    wilkie2006 wrote: »
    But I think Banksy's stuff provokes thought. Whether you agree with it or not is immaterial. Marketing campaigns don't stimulate thought - they seek to enforce a series of corporate ideas, no?

You're not in a position to know what stimulates people's thoughts so your point is redundant
    But to what avail? I mean, he can't sell his canvases.

Just because he isn't reeling in profits right now doesn't mean he hasn't very cleverly and carefully constructed a brand and image that he may well profit from in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Guessing he has run out of using other artists ideas so is ranting now to get attention

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Let me see if I get this straight.

The ads are in my face, so he wants to fix that by pushing his art in my face instead.

Twat.

(I do think he is talented, but that's beside the point).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Banksy...........Kind of ironic, just like the Roger Waters/pink Floyd concert that was a while back.........yeah really socking it to the man guys, when ye finish up the promotion its back to your marble palaces with ye

Where did I mention anything about the masses?

Unless you are the only person on the planet viewing the advertisements, there are masses involved.
    You're not in a position to know what stimulates people's thoughts so your point is redundant

That is why God invented psychology.
    Just because he isn't reeling in profits right now doesn't mean he hasn't very cleverly and carefully constructed a brand and image that he may well profit from in the future

I agree that he has created a brand, but he can't profit from his work by it's very nature. You have any idea how many counts of vandalism he would be brought up on? Basically every company that's set up shop in England would tear him to shreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

But I think Banksy's stuff provokes thought.

Only to idiots. His art says fuck all.

He also uses the same spaces & mediums as advertisers do to promote himself, so either he's trying to be ironic about his slating of advertisements or he is too stupid to realise that he's being ironic.

I'd suspect it's the latter.

He's not an artist. At least not one of any depth. Sure, he can paint, but his work does nothing, says nothing and only appeals to the likes of students who think that having a Che Guevara poster on your bedroom wall makes you seem meaningful & cool.

Only to idiots. His art says fuck all.

He also uses the same spaces & mediums as advertisers do to promote himself, so either he's trying to be ironic about his slating of advertisements or he is too stupid to realise that he's being ironic.

I'd suspect it's the latter.

He's not an artist. At least not one of any depth. Sure, he can paint, but his work does nothing, says nothing and only appeals to the likes of students who think that having a Che Guevara poster on your bedroom wall makes you seem meaningful & cool.

He's an artist, he's just not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Wait now.... There's cheesecake??!!

• Advertisement

cassi wrote: »

The cake is a lie.

Unless you are the only person on the planet viewing the advertisements, there are masses involved.

That is why God invented psychology.

I agree that he has created a brand, but he can't profit from his work by it's very nature. You have any idea how many counts of vandalism he would be brought up on? Basically every company that's set up shop in England would tear him to shreds.

He can, and does sell his stuff. To rich people.

As for the vandalism, in Bristol it is considered vandalism to attack a Banksy.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

cassi wrote: »

The cake is a lie.

Seriously!!?? God damn it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I don't see the irony, it's basically been the whole point behind his art from day one. He's not forcing you to look at his art, his popularity and success is only a by-product of the fact that people think it's good.

As well as that he isn't trying to sell you anything. If he paints on a wall or billboard, he doesn't own the property, thus he couldn't sell it even if he wanted to. If he could there would be irony. If he opens a sweatshop in India to make Banksy hoodies it would be ironic.

Otherwise it isn't.

He can, and does sell his stuff. To rich people.

As for the vandalism, in Bristol it is considered vandalism to attack a Banksy.

I already stated he's a hypocrite, and to be honest I don't keep up to date with the inner workings of his bank account. My point is the same as his statement, culture jamming and brandalism are forms of protest.

• Advertisement

I like his stuff. Might as well paint stuff on walls. But then there is a building in New York - 10 stories - where they paint adds, mostly advertising movies. I like that too.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I don't see the irony, it's basically been the whole point behind his art from day one. He's not forcing you to look at his art, his popularity and success is only a by-product of the fact that people think it's good.

As well as that he isn't trying to sell you anything. If he paints on a wall or billboard, he doesn't own the property, thus he couldn't sell it even if he wanted to. If he could there would be irony. If he opens a sweatshop in India to make Banksy hoodies it would be ironic.

Otherwise it isn't.

For the third time. He sells his art. See the wall paintings as billboards for his sold art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

That's what I was thinking. A lot of people tend to be anti-advertising... until they themselves have something to advertise. Even then, they sometimes keep up the charade. Ironic indeed.

Quorum wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. A lot of people tend to be anti-advertising... until they themselves have something to advertise. Even then, they sometimes keep up the charade. Ironic indeed.

The biggest difference is the tactics used. I could go on for hours about semiotics. Small fry, like say Bolt Fish Recordings, aren't using exploitative methods to sell their music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

If your stupid enough to let a marketing company dictate how you feel, wear, think, follow etc then you deserve all you get.

Unless you are the only person on the planet viewing the advertisements, there are masses involved

Thanks for clarifying Professor Obvious but find where I mentioned anything about my thoughts on these masses and their ability to perceive advertising.
    That is why God invented psychology

And your extensive psychological credentials allow you to read people's minds? Or are you telepathic?
    I agree that he has created a brand, but he can't profit from his work by it's very nature.

Why not? Banksy could collaborate with MNC's and place his motifs on innumerable products that could sell-out in seconds, he could open a gallery and profit from that, paint on canvas and sell to mueseums -the possibilities are endless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This quote isn't exactly new or news, its the forward of his book......

I like Banksy for what he's worth, really enjoyed the movie aswell.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

- Banksy

The last paragraph confuses me somewhat. Is this a response to something? Why would anyone feel that they do owe "the companies" anything? Why does Banksy think that anyone does feel this way?

Of course people don't owe "the companies" anything, "the companies" are trying to sell us their wares. Is Banksy trying to say that we don't even owe them the courtesy of noticing their advertisements? Again, who the Hell does feel this? And why?

This annoyed me also:
    Banksy wrote:
    They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate.

Why are only our girlfriends, not just feeling inadequate, but being made to feel inadequate? Because women are silly airheaded bimbos subject to manipulation by the big bad advertisers? So far out of control of their emotions that they don't necessarily feel, more they are made to feel, in the way puppets are made to "talk"?

And on a side note there should be as as much cheese in cake as there should be raisins in chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I have very little opinion on Banksy, he can paint a nice picture on a wall I'll give him that but rants like this make him seem like a 15 year old trying to make themselves apper deep and meaningful by ****eing on about a very generic sentiment....advertisng bad....very thought provoking indeed.

Do you reckon Banksy sits at home in front of his paint covered TV screen wishing he just flicked channels at the ad break instead of giving in to the urge to stick it to the man?

1) (Because I'm too lazy to separate the quote again) Other people surround you. The fact that you don't recognise that advertising can effect everyone makes you seem kind of narcissistic. YOU can ignore it, go on you, that's genuinely great, but it seeps into the minds of children and the less aware. You didn't mention the masses, and in denying that they are influenced is depressing.

2) No, Captain Insulto, but I understand the media and the elements of control.

3) Like I said, he's a hypocrite. It might help if you didn't selectively quote that last part, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement