Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banksy - fair comment or kinda ironic, considering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

First off, I never said that Banksy's work was derivative. I said it was unoriginal & uninspiring.

Secondly, I don't need to produce artworks to have an opinion on them. That's as ridiculous as saying that you can only have an opinion on football if you play it.

And lastly, I have yet to see any grafitti that I would consider art. Any idiot can stencil slogans about AIDS. I fucking hate slogans. Whether on walls or stuck on the inside of car windows, I find them highly irritating.

If you can call a slogan art, then what's the difference between a Banksy slogan and McDonalds "I'm loving it"? Nothing really, apart from a trademark.

Remind me again why I'm discussing art with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I was drawing cocks on posters advertising AA meetings in the local church LONG before Banksy was around.

I may even take a flight to Israel and draw a cock on the wall. Take that ehh the man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

c_man wrote: »
    I was drawing cocks on posters advertising AA meetings in the local church LONG before Banksy was around.

I may even take a flight to Israel and draw a cock on the wall. Take that ehh the man.

That's exactly the kind of attitude Banksy is promoting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

THE ADS THE ADS THEY ARE CONTROLLING MY MIND

Yeah, I mean I bought two dozen packs of tampons at the shop yesterday. I've seen their ads so many times, it's just surprising it didn't happen sooner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 blatherskite

RayCon wrote: »
    Bill Hicks:

By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising...kill yourself. Thank you. Just planting seeds, planting seeds is all I'm doing. No joke here, really. Seriously, kill yourself, you have no rationalisation for what you do, you are Satan's little helpers. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show. Seriously, I know the marketing people: 'There's gonna be a joke comin' up.' There's no ****in' joke. Suck a tail pipe, hang yourself...borrow a pistol from an NRA buddy, do something...rid the world of your evil ****in' presence

Bill Hicks seems like a complete self-righteous arsehole

Bill Hicks seems like a complete self-righteous arsehole

He really wasn't.

WAIT!!! Do you work in advertising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Banksy is rubbish.

EDIT: Do agree with him, though.

EDIT II: What I mean is, I agree with the statement as a whole when it comes to the media. Some of it, though, makes him quite the hypocrite.
    You should change your name to Tri-Polar Joe

karma_ wrote: »
    Do you work in advertising?

No, but I'd imagine most people who work in advertising or marketing just kind of drift into it and just work in it to make ends meet.. I doubt many go into it with the evil intentions which Bill Hicks says they have

No, but I'd imagine most people who work in advertising or marketing just kind of drift into it and just work in it to make ends meet.. I doubt many go into it with the evil intentions which Bill Hicks says they have

I'll take that as a yes then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I've never understood how it's okay for Banksy and other graffiti people to draw whatever they want on public property but it's perceived as some sort of invasive thought-crime when Vodafone puts up a poster advertising free texts in November. They're both publicly projecting their own agenda through catchy, easily-digestible slogans and distinctive imagery. But Vodafone are apparently the sole bad guys in the equation because they're a business and they want money. Fuck off, you hypocrites.
    He said no.

• Advertisement

Well, you'd be wrong. I agree with the opening post. It bugs me to think of marketing/advertising guys thinking they're way smarter than everyone else and reeling them in... but really, telling them to kill themselves. What a total sh'it.

I've never understood how it's okay for Banksy and other graffiti people to draw whatever they want on public property but it's perceived as some sort of invasive thought-crime when Vodafone puts up a poster advertising free texts in November. They're both publicly projecting their own agenda through catchy, easily-digestible slogans and distinctive imagery. But Vodafone are apparently the sole bad guys in the equation because they're a business and they want money. Fuck off, you hypocrites.

He said no.

I can read. Thanks all the same.

Banksy isn't being hypocritical is he though. He's giving anyone who sees his art carte blanche to change it, use it or even paint over it as they see fit. The same does not apply to the advertisers. In no way is this hypocritical, it's the fúcking opposite.

Well, you'd be wrong. I agree with the opening post. It bugs me to think of marketing/advertising guys thinking they're way smarter than everyone else and reeling them in... but really, telling them to kill themselves. What a total sh'it.

You need to go watch some Bill Hicks clips right now. You will not regret it.

I can read. Thanks all the same.

Can you, though? I'm not so sure. Let's take another look, shall we?
    Do you work in advertising?
    No

There definitely seems to be a bit of confusion there on your part. Let's agree to disagree: You can read, just not very well.

Banksy isn't being hypocritical is he though. He's giving anyone who sees his art carte blanche to change it, use it or even paint over it as they see fit. The same does not apply to the advertisers. In no way is this hypocritical, it's the fúcking opposite.

Wow, he's giving people permission to further deface public property after he's already had a go. Fair play to him. What a hero.

Can you, though? I'm not so sure. Let's take another look, shall we?

There definitely seems to be a bit of confusion there on your part. Let's agree to disagree: You can read, just not very well.

Wow, he's giving people permission to further deface public property after he's already had a go. Fair play to him. What a hero.

Before you disembark your ivory tower there, let me be clear - I was making a joke, you know, in the context of the conversation about Bill Hicks not liking advertisers and another poster taking umbrage at that. This is AH isn't it? Jokes are still allowed are they not?

As for my ability to read, perhaps I should be questioning yours, after all you appear to be under the impression that what Banksy is saying is hypocritical when it's demonstrably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

old hippy wrote: »
    People are taking the piss out of you everyday. They butt into your life, take a cheap shot at you and then disappear.

They leer at you from tall buildings and make you feel small. They make flippant comments from buses that imply you’re not sexy enough and that all the fun is happening somewhere else.

They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate. They have access to the most sophisticated technology the world has ever seen and they bully you with it. They are The Advertisers and they are laughing at you.

You, however, are forbidden to touch them. Trademarks, intellectual property rights and copyright law mean advertisers can say what they like wherever they like with total impunity.

F*ck that. Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It’s yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do whatever you like with it. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock someone just threw at your head.

You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don’t owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don’t even start asking for theirs.

- Banksy

Where did he write that?

Banksy is a self admitted fraud who uses stencils and has "assistants", he was interesting for a while as the artgrafitti provocature but now YAWN. But he does leave an interesting legacy, he thought few graffiti artists how to get rich and others graffiti morons how to mess up our city scape.

Advertisements is a pillar of our society without it you would have virtually no internet, no boards, facebook, twitter, google, you would have an internet, but it wouldn't be the fun and as professional as it is. TV would be shyte and professional sport would non-existent.

In return we buy tat, we are convinced to desire things, we see brands as if they mean something and yes we get a shed load of jobs in this consumer society. But we still have a choice, we don't have to choose a coke over a tesco cola, we don't have to buy NIKE over dunnes. But we still do and so what.

What Banksy does is advertise and promote himself, his statement is meant to be ironic, he does irony well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

He said no.

I think the distinction that Banksy / Adbusters / Naomi Klein make is that when we watch TV or listen to radio we accept that advertising is there to pay for the content which we recieve for free. If we don't like it we can turn off or not turn on at all, i.e. we have a choice

But when we walk out on the street to be confronted by billboards we have no choice - we get no content for free, all we get is advertising for companies. Banksys (and others) point is that it is these ads we have no say in - they interrupt your eyeline whereever you are- the street, the roadways, etc. So for him disrupting the status quo is fair game.

Advertising in public in Ireland isn't all that bad. But when you go to the States it is just ubquitous and driving through the whole country feels like you are constantly being advertised at- there are gigantic billboards every few hundred metres along the roadsides- it is just constant and relentless. Bankys point is that this is public space and it is being used for private gain.

Of course there is always the argument that you can set up your own political party, spend 50 years at campaigning to get 51% of people to agree that it would be much better to dedicate that billboard space to artists but he wants to see things change yesterday so he does what he does.

I'd agree with his point of view- at no point did I consent for Coca Cola to advertise at me in the street but they do it every day everywhere. Some politician who wasn't acting in the public interest made those decisions before I was even born and now they are impossible to reverse because street advertising is a multi-billion business.

Think about Dublin Bikes- JCD Decaux got 40 odd billboards on a 15 year contract which have an annual rent roll of €20m x 15 years = €300 million of advertising revenue. In return the citizens of Dublin got 400 free bikes. How much do 400 bikes cost ? Certainly no where near €300 million quid. But if you're a corrupt Dublin city councillor then you sell it to the citizens as a great deal.

Colmustard wrote: »
    Where did he write that?

Banksy is a self admitted fraud who uses stencils and has "assistants", he was interesting for a while as the artgrafitti provocature but now YAWN. But he does leave an interesting legacy, he thought few graffiti artists how to get rich and others graffiti morons how to mess up our city scape.

Advertisements is a pillar of our society without it you would have virtually no internet, no boards, facebook, twitter, google, you would have an internet, but it wouldn't be the fun and as professional as it is. TV would be shyte and professional sport would non-existent.

In return we buy tat, we are convinced to desire things, we see brands as if they mean something and yes we get a shed load of jobs in this consumer society. But we still have a choice, we don't have to choose a coke over a tesco cola, we don't have to buy NIKE over dunnes. But we still do and so what.

What Banksy does is advertise and promote himself, his statement is meant to be ironic, he does irony well.

I don't think he has a problem with the existence of advertisers, or the fact they advertise, but the protection they surround themselves with. He's not wrong is he, they saturate our lives at every level.

I don't think he has a problem with the existence of advertisers, or the fact they advertise, but the protection they surround themselves with. He's not wrong is he, they saturate our lives at every level.

Good thing they do saturate us it gives us more quality in our lives. Of course they protect themselves and their BRAND, just imagine boards "now your talking" suddenly and maliciously got associated with....................

Banksy is being ironic, he has done that before, he releases these types of statements all the time, he know's he is an advertiser, he has a brand, just like Damien Hirst, and with this he is doing it again.

He can't paint or draw, I think that is his greatest irony.

I always liked this Banksy game, the rivalry he set and caused with a retired graffiti artist King Robbo, but King Robbo could paint and brilliantly so, he was more of a talent. It's a bizarre story with a very bizarre ending after the publicised rivalry (by Banksy) and lifting the profile of King Robbo in which he got fame, attention and "sales". But after a fall he ended up in a coma 5 days before a sell out tour.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=robbo%20graffiti&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWzFwO_bbnIo&ei=wIFKUO6dHdON0wXC0YHADw&usg=AFQjCNFNc-7jPfm77vGwGDNLnmmAfPGU8g

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=robbo%20graffiti&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftwistedsifter.com%2F2012%2F01%2Fbanksy-vs-robbo-war-in-pictures%2F&ei=wIFKUO6dHdON0wXC0YHADw&usg=AFQjCNHf5Z1g-5T0UlxwaRfrFzEi6QKqOw

• Advertisement

Good thing they do saturate us it gives us more quality in our lives. Of course they protect themselves and their BRAND, just imagine boards "now your talking" suddenly and maliciously got associated with....................

Banksy is being ironic, he has done that before, he releases these types of statements all the time, he know's he is an advertiser, he has a brand, just like Damien Hirst, and with this he is doing it again.

I always liked this Banksy game, the rivalry he set and caused with a retired graffiti artist King Robbo, but King Robbo could paint and brilliantly so, he was more of a talent. It's a bizarre story with a very bizarre ending after the publicised rivalry (by Banksy) and lifting the profile of King Robbo in which he got fame, attention and "sales". But after a fall he ended up in a coma 5 days before a sell out tour.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=robbo%20graffiti&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWzFwO_bbnIo&ei=wIFKUO6dHdON0wXC0YHADw&usg=AFQjCNFNc-7jPfm77vGwGDNLnmmAfPGU8g

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=robbo%20graffiti&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftwistedsifter.com%2F2012%2F01%2Fbanksy-vs-robbo-war-in-pictures%2F&ei=wIFKUO6dHdON0wXC0YHADw&usg=AFQjCNHf5Z1g-5T0UlxwaRfrFzEi6QKqOw

I've seen the King Robbo doc previously. I don't think he is being Ironic here but to be fair, RATM made a far more eloquent post than mine there and it essentially covers the message Banksy is putting out there.

As for my ability to read, perhaps I should be questioning yours, after all you appear to be under the impression that what Banksy is saying is hypocritical when it's demonstrably not.

Question away. Bear in mind though, I never said I was able to read.

And he is a hypocrite. "Their advertising is bad, my sloganeering is fine" seems rather hypocritical to me.
    RATM wrote: »
    I think the distinction that Banksy / Adbusters / Naomi Klein make is that when we watch TV or listen to radio we accept that advertising is there to pay for the content which we recieve for free. If we don't like it we can turn off or not turn on at all, i.e. we have a choice

But when we walk out on the street to be confronted by billboards we have no choice - we get no content for free, all we get is advertising for companies. Banksys (and others) point is that it is these ads we have no say in - they interrupt your eyeline whereever you are- the street, the roadways, etc. So for him disrupting the status quo is fair game.

Advertising in public in Ireland isn't all that bad. But when you go to the States it is just ubquitous and driving through the whole country feels like you are constantly being advertised at- there are gigantic billboards every few hundred metres along the roadsides- it is just constant and relentless. Bankys point is that this is public space and it is being used for private gain.

Of course there is always the argument that you can set up your own political party, spend 50 years at campaigning to get 51% of people to agree that it would be much better to dedicate that billboard space to artists but he wants to see things change yesterday so he does what he does.

I'd agree with his point of view- at no point did I consent for Coca Cola to advertise at me in the street but they do it every day everywhere. Some politician who wasn't acting in the public interest made those decisions before I was even born and now they are impossible to reverse because street advertising is a multi-billion business.

Think about Dublin Bikes- JCD Decaux got 40 odd billboards on a 15 year contract which have an annual rent roll of €20m x 15 years = €300 million of advertising revenue. In return the citizens of Dublin got 400 free bikes. How much do 400 bikes cost ? Certainly no where near €300 million quid. But if you're a corrupt Dublin city councillor then you sell it to the citizens as a great deal.

I agree 100% with anti-public advertising stances. I saw a piece in a doc on Sao Paulo in Brazil where public advertising has been illegal since 2006. No billboards, no ads on taxis. Nothing. Place looked a lot cleaner, less cluttered. The people seemed perfectly fine with it and even the businesses were doing better. They had to work harder to please the customer because they relied on word of mouth so that worked out well for everybody. All's well that ends well.

My issue is with defacement of public property. I don't think anyone should do it. Just like I don't think the evil, fire-breathing multinationals should advertise on bus stops, graffiti "artists" shouldn't draw on those same bus stops. Both look like shite. It also looks like ****e when someone draws a pair of tits on an underwear ad or a pair of balls on David Beckham's chin. Makes it look like you're living in some sort of slum. Where I live (not Ireland) graffiti is a particularly bad problem. Bus stops, bins, 100 year old park benches are covered with that shite and to me it's no different from Banksy forcing his "art" on the people of Bristol. Do it on your own wall, ffs.

Heh. Bit of an unhinged rant there. You know what I mean though. :o

Question away. Bear in mind though, I never said I was able to read.

I may have dressed it up a little, but I was questioning. Sorry.
    And he is a hypocrite. "Their advertising is bad, my sloganeering is fine" seems rather hypocritical to me.

I still disagree with you that he is not being a hypocrite with his statement.

I've seen the King Robbo doc previously. I don't think he is being Ironic here but to be fair, RATM made a far more eloquent post than mine there and it essentially covers the message Banksy is putting out there.

I personally don't see anything wrong with advertising, I accept it is part of our world and we benefit greatly from it, as do businesses, it is a positive sum gain.

But do you not see the irony in the statement, Banksy stuff is in our face and also he was not given our consent to put it there.

He is clever and no hypocrite, he knows what he is doing. I would conjecture Banksy is worth about 20 to 50 million and he employs at least 50 people, and he has a legal team and employs Max Clifford to protect his brand as in his secret identity. He is a business and he advertises and he has done so again.

Don't be had.

I still disagree with you that he is not being a hypocrite with his statement.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. Again. On this and the reading thing from earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I personally don't see anything wrong with advertising, I accept it is part of our world and we benefit greatly from it, as do businesses, it is a positive sum gain.

But do you not see the irony in the statement, Banksy stuff is in our face and also he was not given our consent to put it there.

He is clever and no hypocrite, he knows what he is doing. I would conjecture Banksy is worth about 20 to 50 million and he employs at least 50 people, and he has a legal team and employs Max Clifford to protect his brand as in his secret identity. He is a business and he advertises and he has done so again.

Hes probably a fat middle aged man living in Clifton. A dreaded bourgeois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Subverting a structure by adhering to the very same activities it practices. What genius.

Hes probably a fat middle aged man living in Clifton. A dreaded bourgeois.

He is very rich so it isn't in a flat in the east end.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. Again. On this and the reading thing from earlier.

Well, I'll hold neither against you.
    Subverting a structure by adhering to the very same activities it practices. What genius.

Hardly the same now is it?

Well, I'll hold neither against you.

yes, the same. Banksy is a brand. He advertises himself on buildings, and by attacking competitors, which creates a brand awareness. He then uses the brand to sell his stencils on portable items and makes millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I'm having a hard time seeing how it's different. Because it says it is? Regardless of the message, the delivery is the same. He's still drawing your eye, using a public space that you'll likely make eye contact with. I draw no distinction between a multi-national trying to sell me a product I don't need with a message that I find facile and irrelevant in the wider context of it's impact on our culture as and of itself and also in comparison to the advertising it's attacking. I'm seeing both and I lack the option of consent to both just the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Anyone who thinks they aren't affected by advertising is an idiot.

There. I said it.

Was going to say the exact same thing myself. People might like to think that they don't notice adverts or have the ability to ignore them and pursue their own "original" paths, but advertising affects everyone, even if it's on a subconscious level (and it's probably mainly on a subconscious level).

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Boombastic wrote: »
    'They should be paying us to eat this sh1t. The secret ingredient is crime' - Superhands

It's Super Hans

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tony Harrisons'

Anybody who can't see the difference between what an artist does and what a clever marketer shits out is a either a fool, in marketing themselves or their cynicism has killed any belief in artistic altruism. Not everyone out there broadcasting statements, artistic or otherwise, is doing it because they want attention; Edward Bernays and his ilk found out how to hack the populace's brains by impregnating every advert with appeal to the most basic of humanity's desires, those with clear enough eyes see the need for reaction against this.

Our society is in crisis economically and culturally(incase you haven't noticed) and people like Banksy are a reaction to the fakery of the consumer capitalist world being built up around us(whether he and the rest of his kind know it or not is irrelevant, though I'd be on the side of them knowing). They art is always reactionary, provocative and usually a remix pop culture, mimicking and showing just how silly and boring the ideas and fantasies being suggested to us by those who would keep us gobbling swill at the trough really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

I like what he said but he is still a hypocrite. You can buy fancy coffee mugs with the Banksy brand and all sorts.

Anybody who can't see the difference between what an artist does and what a clever marketer shits out is a either a fool, in marketing themselves or their cynicism has killed any belief in artistic altruism. Not everyone out there broadcasting statements, artistic or otherwise, is doing it because they want attention; Edward Bernays and his ilk found out how to hack the populace's brains by impregnating every advert with appeal to the most basic of humanity's desires, those with clear enough eyes see the need for reaction against this.

Our society is in crisis economically and culturally(incase you haven't noticed) and people like Banksy are a reaction to the fakery of the consumer capitalist world being built up around us(whether he and the rest of his kind know it or not is irrelevant, though I'd be on the side of them knowing). They art is always reactionary, provocative and usually a remix pop culture, mimicking and showing just how silly and boring the ideas and fantasies being suggested to us by those who would keep us gobbling swill at the trough really are.

Anybody who can see any difference from Banksy making a brand name for himself by advertising his "art" on buildings making a brand name and name recognition, having rows with competitors for market turf, and then selling portable products of his are for millions, aint very bright.

I really didnt think anybody took this guy seriously, as an artist or a "revolutionary", its all nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tony Harrisons'

Anybody who can see any difference from Banksy making a brand name for himself by advertising his "art" on buildings making a brand name and name recognition, having rows with competitors for market turf, and then selling portable products of his are for millions, aint very bright.

I really didnt think anybody took this guy seriously, as an artist or a "revolutionary", its all nonsense.

Sorry, I wanted to make a broader point about this kind of street art rather than just Banksy(I did mention though that even if theyre ignorant of the results of their art, they're providing a way for society at large to become aware of the problems associated with blind culture consumption). I agree that all the petty shite he's become involved in does show he's lost his way but I do think alot of his art is still relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You might want to browse one of his books.

http://www.superxofficial.com/2008/11/new-banksy-drawings.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nG9f9Uk8lPY/TcFb0zymOqI/AAAAAAAAADc/MKhwFDyj1XI/s1600/banksy-art-painting-river.jpg

He can both paint and draw. You commenting on that fact as his greatest irony, is in fact, your greatest irony. Oh, the ironing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I hope to god this little piece isn't blowing any minds out there. I mean I agree and all, but if any of that seems revolutionary then you need to engage your brain more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The last paragraph confuses me somewhat. Is this a response to something? Why would anyone feel that they do owe "the companies" anything? Why does Banksy think that anyone does feel this way?

Of course people don't owe "the companies" anything, "the companies" are trying to sell us their wares. Is Banksy trying to say that we don't even owe them the courtesy of noticing their advertisements? Again, who the Hell does feel this? And why?

This annoyed me also:

Why are only our girlfriends, not just feeling inadequate, but being made to feel inadequate? Because women are silly airheaded bimbos subject to manipulation by the big bad advertisers? So far out of control of their emotions that they don't necessarily feel, more they are made to feel, in the way puppets are made to "talk"?

And on a side note there should be as as much cheese in cake as there should be raisins in chocolate.

He is using "girlfriends" as an illustrative example. The same argument can be made of men and I don't think he is having a go at women, like you are implying. Advertising feeds and thrives off low self esteem - particularly advertising in the cosmetics and fashion industry. For example, why would you buy mascara to make your eye-lashes 10 times longer if your lashes were adequate? Would you have even wanted longer eye lashes if you weren't told there was a product that could make them bigger, better, sexier?

I have to laugh at the fools here in this thread that think they are immune to advertising. These people, answer me this, when was the last time you went to the cinema and why did you choose the film you saw? Every single consumer in this country is swayed by it, if it wasn't effective companies wouldn't pay so much attention to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I have to laugh at the fools here in this thread that think they are immune to advertising. These people, answer me this, when was the last time you went to the cinema and why did you choose the film you saw? Every single consumer in this country is swayed by it, if it wasn't effective companies wouldn't pay so much attention to it.

I guess I'll have to laugh at you too then because I know a multitude of people who buy thing solely out of necessity and barely own anything that belongs to a popular brand.

But don't let that stop you from making sweeping generalisations in absolute terms

• Advertisement

gara wrote: »
    I guess I'll have to laugh at you too then because I know a multitude of people who buy thing solely out of necessity and barely own anything that belongs to a popular brand.

But don't let that stop you from making sweeping generalisations in absolute terms

Unless you make the product yourself, everything is "advertised" in some shape or form. You or the "multitudes of people" you speak about are influenced by advertising, whether you like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

"Banksy" needs to get out more! :pac:

Fùcking pretentious little wànker!

He is just as much a faceless corporate brand entity as those he purports to oppose. If he truly believed a word of his own verbal diarrhoea, he would come out from behind his agent, have the courage of his convictions, and stop hiding behind his píss poor attempts at "social commentary".

I've always believed if you think you've got something you think is important enough worth saying, come out and fúcking say it, but don't presume to speak for everyone else!

Unless you make the product yourself, everything is "advertised" in some shape or form. You or the "multitudes of people" you speak about are influenced by advertising, whether you like it or not.

Just because advertising exists does not mean one is unequivocally influenced by it. People are actually capable of purchasing things on their own terms

Just because advertising exists does not mean one is unequivocally influenced by it. People are actually capable of purchasing things on their own terms

Without having tried everything out that is impossible. Personal experience counts of course, but advertising is a big component in the basket of things that drives our consumer purchases. Take my example earlier of a trip to the cinema - anyone who wants to go to see a film will have had advertising influence that decision at some point along the way.

Without having tried everything out that is impossible

How is it impossible? I'm all ears

How is it impossible? I'm all ears

Well if you haven't had a personal experience, you'll be relying on another experience to make the purchasing decision be it personal recommendation from a friend or whatever. That friends original decision could have been the direct influence of advertising. The chain will go back until advertising was the deciding factor in the choice of one product over another.

I take it you don't go to the cinema then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Guessing he has run out of using other artists ideas so is ranting now to get attention

Is this a recent quote. he made one very similar some years ago, in response to criticism of graffiti in general. I.e. advertisers are every bit the vandals graffiti artists are.

Well if you haven't had a personal experience, you'll be relying on another experience to make the purchasing decision be it personal recommendation from a friend or whatever. That friends original decision could have been the direct influence of advertising. The chain will go back until advertising was the deciding factor in the choice of one product over another.

I take it you don't go to the cinema then?

No I don't. And where are you pulling this bullsh1t hypothesis from?

A week ago, I realised there was no scissors in the house so I bought some scissors. No brand, no advertising campaign, no consulting with friends.I just bought scissors.

Prior to that, I bought a garlic-crusher to eradicate the odour that chopping garlic with a knife leaves on your hands. The label in the hardwore store said 'Garlic Crusher' and had no brand. I didn't consult with anyone prior to purchasing either. I just bought a garlic-crusher.

I also recently bought some Asics trainers. Not because of how they look or how they're marketed but because of their functionality and how they feel on my feet. Is that just a figment of my imagination because my nerve-endings are subject to advertising too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I agree 100% with anti-public advertising stances. I saw a piece in a doc on Sao Paulo in Brazil where public advertising has been illegal since 2006. No billboards, no ads on taxis. Nothing. Place looked a lot cleaner, less cluttered. The people seemed perfectly fine with it and even the businesses were doing better. They had to work harder to please the customer because they relied on word of mouth so that worked out well for everybody. All's well that ends well.

My issue is with defacement of public property. I don't think anyone should do it. Just like I don't think the evil, fire-breathing multinationals should advertise on bus stops, graffiti "artists" shouldn't draw on those same bus stops. Both look like shite. It also looks like ****e when someone draws a pair of tits on an underwear ad or a pair of balls on David Beckham's chin. Makes it look like you're living in some sort of slum. Where I live (not Ireland) graffiti is a particularly bad problem. Bus stops, bins, 100 year old park benches are covered with that shite and to me it's no different from Banksy forcing his "art" on the people of Bristol. Do it on your own wall, ffs.

Heh. Bit of an unhinged rant there. You know what I mean though. :o

Yeah I hear ya, the streets would look a lot nicer if both corporate advertising and graffitti were not there- a hell of a lot nicer. I just can't stand tagging, those graffitti heads who compete against each other to write their name or moniker in as many places as possible around a citys streets, on trains, disused buildings, etc. It is disgusting and adds nothing.

And you are right- Banksy is a hypocrite for defacing public property and justifying it on the basis that corporations do it legally.

But I suppose that the ironic thing about Banksy and others is that when they started doing what they do if they had of approached an art gallery about having an exhibition they would have been told to take a run and jump. Nowadays mainstream art galleries are queuing up to host exhibitions by these guys- as artists they have come full circle from the streets they started on- Banksy himself is in the top 5 highest earning (living) artists in the UK- his works makes millions at auctions. Shepard Fairy (who did the Barack Obama 'Hope' mock up) is one of the highest paid in the US.

Harper Incalculable Drunkard I'm not sure if you have seen the documentary which Banksy appears in called 'Exit Through the Gift Shop'- it is packed with irony as the basis of it is a slightly mad French guy who follows street artists at night filming their work. The gas thing is as time goes on he himself decides to become a street artist even though he can't draw whatsoever. He employs over 100 graphic designers and does a ton a self publicty all around LA, calling himself 'Mr.Brainwash' The LA art set swallow the hype hook, line and sinker and in his opening exhibition he sells somewhere in the region of $2 million worth of 'art' which is all actually done by other people he employed. It really puts the whole street art thing into perspective and Banksy himself just can't stop sniggering at the irony of it all !

Anyway yeah I'd agree that it would be better if the streets were 110% ad and graffitti free. But given we all know that is never going to happen I would much rather look at a pictures like in the link below that make a statement where the artist tries to make you see an alternative perspective or even just for shock value alone than the atypical corporate messages of Vodafone, Pepsi, L'Oreal et al.

http://www.holytaco.com/25-coolest-banksy-graffiti/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

It's Super Hans

****. We're so angry together. The righteous indignation of the common man! Maybe we can start a union... The Woodworkers and General Persons Union
    The twins. The ****ing twins. Bloody love them twins.

Great kids, a bit lazy, a bit on the lazy side, very rarely pick up the phone to their old man.

They turned ‘Funf” 2 years ago, so, what, pair of 8ers I reckon? I bloody love them two

Advertisement