Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC 2012 Results thread - **see mod note first post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭orriray59

Bursting with joy! Got an A in Maths (!) while a few years back I was getting NG's, and in the Pre's I got a D3. Shows what some hard work can do, eh? :D

Was absolutely certain I had messed up the English exam. Absolutely, and I'm usually good at HL English. Got a B in that. B in Geography, C in History, both HL. My Geography teacher explicitly told me that I couldn't perform well at Geography, and she tried to force me to OL. Can't wait to rub that in her face. Hah!

The most surprising result for me, though, was a B in OL Business Studies. I was the most incompetent little **** when it came to this subject, I failed tests, and at best I was getting low C's or high D's, yet I managed to buckle down following the dire results of the Mocks and walk out with a B. Y.E.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sara16

Ugh.. Still so pissed off with the C in geography.. Sure got an A in the mocks and for the actual jc I answered extra questions and all.. :/ prob got some harsh marker.l:(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ButtonBox

I passed MATHS! Gotta C!
    YEAH BUDDY!
    Everything else I was very very happy with, but I am ECSTATIC that I passed Maths! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I'm actually really upset. Got B's in CSPE, Religion, History and English.

I wasn't shocked at English at all, but when I looked down at the others I got a massive shock.

I know I sound whiny, devastated not getting an A, but I worked really hard for this, and I broke down a little. The thing is, so many B's can't just mean there's a harsh examiner.

I'm going to review scripts and ask opinions of teachers before appealing. It costs a lot of money too, which has driven me into guilt-thinking my way desperately through the papers, trying to find if it could have gone wrong somewhere to make it not worthwhile appealing. I'm no longer in the mood for going out tonight.

Anyways, well done to everyone who's happy with their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

I'm actually really upset. Got B's in CSPE, Religion, History and English.

I wasn't shocked at English at all, but when I looked down at the others I got a massive shock.

I know I sound whiny, devastated not getting an A, but I worked really hard for this, and I broke down a little. The thing is, so many B's can't just mean there's a harsh examiner.

I'm going to review scripts and ask opinions of teachers before appealing. It costs a lot of money too, which has driven me into guilt-thinking my way desperately through the papers, trying to find if it could have gone wrong somewhere to make it not worthwhile appealing. I'm no longer in the mood for going out tonight.

Anyways, well done to everyone who's happy with their results.

i feel you, bro.

• Advertisement

i feel you, bro.
    I was sorry to read what happened to you.

I think if we genuinely are shocked by a result we should appeal them. Like for me English was always gonna be hit or miss, so deep down I wasn't shocked at all.

I had to have a little cry too. Just went to the eating area (it was in between classes and no one was there) and cried as long as I could. And I'm a guy...

I shall also be stuffing my face with ice cream. Seriously, most people who drink tonight will be celebrating, meanwhile that result would have driven me to drowning my sorrows. Thanks SEC. Just thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

I think if we genuinely are shocked by a result we should appeal them. Like for me English was always gonna be hit or miss, so deep down I wasn't shocked at all.

I had to have a little cry too. Just went to the eating area (it was in between classes and no one was there) and cried as long as I could. And I'm a guy...

I shall also be stuffing my face with ice cream. Seriously, most people who drink tonight will be celebrating, meanwhile that result would have driven me to drowning my sorrows. Thanks SEC. Just thanks.

At least you're honest bro.I have to admit I was pretty upset about English (got a C,hoped for an A/high B) but it's over now :) don't let it dwell on you

paddyzk wrote: »
    At least you're honest bro.I have to admit I was pretty upset about English (got a C,hoped for an A/high B) but it's over now :) don't let it dwell on you

Arr that be right.

It's been a difficult day. I'm talking like a pirate from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Sorry to the guys that aren't happy with their results :(
    Seeing that a few people here thought they would get a better Geogrpahy result, I think the marking scheme must have been harder this year. Cause I got an A in my mocks.

At those teaching conferences, they must have agreed that the marking scheme was too slack or something. Pity it had to be this year they realized that, though :/:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Guys I know it may seem disappointing now, but it's really not that bad. Some of you's got alot of Bs, you did really well. I didn't get a single A in my JC. I got a D in HL Irish in JC and in the LC, a B in Irish. :)

What I'm saying is, go out and celebrate tonight, forget it for the day. The LC is the big one to be concentrating on, these results at the end of the day mean absolutely nothing. I guess they're just a practise run for the LC.

And pleasee, nobody be upset over it. You's did great. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

Arr that be right.

just curious, are you asian?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭orriray59

Yeah, if you're shocked at a result you should appeal.

Unless it shocked you in a good way. That's when you receive praise and are happy with yourself, but when it shocks you in a bad way?
    Perhaps you did get a harsh examiner, but perhaps it was on your part as well.
    I probably sound like an asshole but don't go OTT with it. None of these results -good or bad- will have an impact when we're doing the LC.

orriray59 wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're shocked at a result you should appeal.

Unless it shocked you in a good way. That's when you receive praise and are happy with yourself, but when it shocks you in a bad way?
    Perhaps you did get a harsh examiner, but perhaps it was on your part as well.
    I probably sound like an asshole but don't go OTT with it. None of these results -good or bad- will have an impact when we're doing the LC.

Yes. I know what you mean. I'm trying to work out now what could have been on my part, if any. And I know I could go OTT with appeals and all, but, let's face it, who's held accountable if no-one bothers appealing results they feel shouldn't have been given to them.

Although I did notice people in the same exam no. range as me were also disappointed with the result they got in the same subject, so I wonder...

Anyways, I've derailed this thread enough, everyone celebrate getting your first state exam out of the way, good or bad results.

Arr that be right.

just curious, are you asian?
    Oh I get it, high achiever etc etc. Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CatalysTftw

Maths O A
    History H D
    Geography H B
    French H B
    Irish H C
    English H D
    Businees H C
    Metalwork B
    Science H B
    CSPE H C
    pretty happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Congrats to everyone on their great results! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Hi guys congrats on some great results (I'm in 6th year so the JC is all a bit of a blur to me :p).

But have any of ye/spurious, seen a lack/drop in A's in some subjects this year in some of your schools. This is the case with my school, for what seemed to be a very academic year, there was a huge drop in A's compared to other years.

Just interested is all. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The national statistics are here:
    http://www.examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2012/JCProvisionalResults10candidates.doc

They really look like much of a muchness.

We also had less As than in most years, but statistically it seems someone else must have got them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!
    I posted about me putting in the wrong exam number for Irish paper 1 in a thread and got a B for my troubles when i think i deserved an A. I want to appeal it but I dont have Irish until Friday and I want to get my teacher's advice. Any advice will be appreciated and when does the marking schemes come out????

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

I'm absolutely chuffed, ngl :p I got A's in English, French, Home Economics and CSPE and I'm delighted!! English was the only subject I desperately wanted an A in. I've been a straight-C French student for ages now, but I've been getting grinds, so glad they paid off!! And as for Home Ec, the amount of effort I put into my craft deserved that A in itself IMO :D

I got B's in Irish, Maths, Geography, History, Science and Art. Honestly it is an absolute MIRACLE I didn't get a C or under in Irish, Maths and Art (considering the state of my project towards the end). Honestly, I expected an A in Geography. I only expected A's in 2 subjects; CSPE and Geography. I'm a little disappointed but I'm not even taking Geography now in 5th year so feck it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

The statistics today are interesting because the year brainbox in my year only got 8 A's (I know 8 is a lot but not for him who is used to straight A's all the time) and got three B's. He was really upset.

So I think the marking schemes were tougher this year, it's my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Eazzah

Well, considering I've begun getting very lazy this year, especially coming up to the JC, I think I did pretty well.

Maths C
    Irish C
    English C
    History B
    Geography B
    Science D
    German D
    Home Ec C
    Business B
    CSPE B
    All higher level and I did zero study.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ImRebecca

I'm delighted with what I got :D

All higher
    English - A
    French - A
    Typing - A
    Science - A
    Business - A
    History - B
    Geography - B
    Maths - B
    Irish - B
    CSPE - B
    Religion - B

I'm completely surprised about English and French :o Beaming about maths but I'm somewhat disappointed about history geography CSPE and religion I always got As in them :/ I'm not doing them this year though so I don't care :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ElusiveDon

I got 8 As and 3 Bs, and feeling happy.

I'm extremely satisfied with my results overall and they were definitely unexpected. A BLASTED B IN CSPE GOD DAMN IT...however has added a sort of bitter taste to the day. In the mocks it was my best result, as it should be, considering all that's needed is a vague knowledge of current affairs and decent writing/artistic ability..

B in Irish and Woodwork also. They were expected though.. :)

Also, congrats to everyone else. The Junior Cert is only the beginning, so don't dwell. We simply cannot be judged by academic results. People have talents in so many other areas, it's actually quite sad that so much emphasis is put on exams and not about knowledge and critical thinking these days.
    Besides, how many people are brilliant at art, music, philosophy etc. but not so much so in academics - Rasher Kavanagh(Irish Artist) and Isaac Newton come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

I got an A in French, Bs in English and Art which was disappointing because I expected As.. I thought I failed OL maths (I'm terrible) but it turned out I got a B which is great for me! Now that it's over I know that it's nothing worth stressing about. Congrats on the amazing results everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I am SO happy with mine! :3

English, Irish, French, Science - B.
    Math, Geography, History, Business, CSPE - A.
    (All higher, bar CSPE being common...)

I am so delighted with my A in Math. I am so happy I got a B in Irish, I went in to first year with very little Irish and worked hard to get that grade. I'm delighted with my B in French because my French teacher was dreadful.
    NUIG School of Business give awards to those who got an A in Business, hurray. :')

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The statistics today are interesting because the year brainbox in my year only got 8 A's (I know 8 is a lot but not for him who is used to straight A's all the time) and got three B's. He was really upset.

So I think the marking schemes were tougher this year, it's my opinion.
    Same here. I though I would get straight As but I only got 7. This just makes me more motivated for lc

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

Here goes..

English (H) A
    Irish (H) A
    Maths (H) A
    Geograph (H) A
    History (H) A
    Religion (H) A
    CSPE (C) A
    TG (H) A
    Business (H) A
    French (H) A
    German (H) A
    Science (H) A

So 12 As! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd actually get them :D
    Well done everybody ;)

Sentid wrote: »
    Here goes..

English (H) A
    Irish (H) A
    Maths (H) A
    Geograph (H) A
    History (H) A
    Religion (H) A
    CSPE (C) A
    TG (H) A
    Business (H) A
    French (H) A
    German (H) A
    Science (H) A

So 12 As! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd actually get them :D
    Well done everybody ;)

Fair play to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Brendana380

Irish
    Gaeilge Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil C
    English
    Béarla Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil C
    Mathematics
    Matamaitic Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil A
    Geography
    Tíreolaíocht Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil B
    French
    Fraincis Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil B
    Business Studies
    Staidéar Gnó Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil B
    Material Technology (Wood)
    Ábhair Teicneolaíocht (Adhmad) Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil B
    Science (Revised Syllabus)
    Eolaíocht (Siollabas Leasaithe) Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil B
    Civic Social and Political Education
    Oideachas Saoránach Common Level
    Leibhéil Comónta A
    Religious Education
    Oideachais Reiligiúnach Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil B

2A's, 6B's & 2C's
    Overall I am Delighted with my results...I was over the moon I passed Irish....I am disappointed with English as I think this must have been toughly marked like in the pre's...I got a c in the pre but when my teacher went over it, I got a b so I decided that I will appeal English....I couldn't believe I got an A in maths...My grinds teacher was one of the teachers in my school so I went up to her and she was like...what did you get and I said an A and she slapped my hand and grab the results to be sure....It has so funny, she was delighted and plus my maths teacher said I should drop down haha...Geography I was slightly disappointed with as I expected I would get an A but then again a B is great for me! French...My goal was a B so I was delighted when I got it and so was my teacher! Business studies...I expect I got a high B like in the pres...my teacher was happy with me anyway for getting an A in maths and a B in Business from being in his class :) Wood: I was delighted with because my theory was bad because my teacher never explained it to the class so if I was better with theory I would have got an A because I had a great project...Science I was delighted with because I was worried that I would fail because of my teacher but in the end...I was glad she was my science teacher for three years....CSPE I was happy with because I put alot of work into my journal and the action project and plus I was able to get the same as my sister who would have mocked me for life if I didn't get an A and finally Relgion I was also happy with because I had a change of teachers during the year and my new one was bad so I am delighted with a B....So over all I am delighted with the results

I am going to appeal English but I am not sure if I should appeal Geography also because I was always an A student since first year

Advertisement