Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Terriers

• 07-09-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,767 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any experience of these dogs ? We have a husky at home, and was thinking of getting another dog, mostly an indoors dog. I like the look of them, and from what I have read about them they seem a nice dog. Only thing I am not sure of is whether there are too many people who breed them (correctly) in the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Fantastic breed - very loveable, loyal and playful. Great temperaments with children also. From a health point of view though - be careful to pick one that has a good conformation - they are brachycephalic (short faced) and if they are bred too closely they can have lots of medical problems, and their eyes also.
    No idea about the breeding here in Ireland though.
    I spent time working in Boston and naturally, I saw lots of Boston terriers there :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They are super little dogs, hilarious little characters. But as has been said above, beware who you buy from. I know a super breeder of Bostons in Northern Ireland if you're happy to travel, I can pm you his details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Great looking dog. I would love to own one some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,767 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Do DBB , we had a pug, but he died a few months back. he lived with my parents, they were hearth broken after him. i would buy another pug in a minute, but health is a worry. ours dropped dead aged 3 and a half years old after showing no signs of illness. we have a samoyed aged 9 that has had no illness what so ever , bar been run over by my mam and dad (5 years apart) and a few expensive surgery's later :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 phea2

Hi DBB, i'm new on this and i have not enough post to pm you, i was wondering if you could sent me a pm with details of the breeder in northern ireland as i'm myself planning on getting one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My brother owns a rescue Boston, in the States. Bugsy is daft as a brush, but very lovable. The dog, that is. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Lovely little characters, but again - the health risks. Like all other short-faced dogs, they can run into some problems, one being tumors. My OH had one as the family dog and took a stroke about 4 months ago. It just looked like he was having a chasing dream in his sleep. Had to be put to sleep the following day as his whole brain started to shut down :( He was a rescue, but pure bred from what we were told!

Advertisement