Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Monitor?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 1:25pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So im using a nice spec 32" led tv for my pc gaming which ive been very happy with, i had a good 23"samsung just before it which model number i dont recall but at the time it got good reviews for gaming.
    Going from this monitor to the tv i was completely sucked into the bigger is better scenario,apart from that the image quality and colours seemed a lot better too.
    I have it about 16 months now and never thought of changing until i started reading about IPS panels,120hz,catleaps etc
    I read on some forum that reading text on such a tv screen isnt good for the eyes and considering i already wear glasses for reading etc it might be time for a change.

Before spending more money [recently upgraded gfx card] i down scaled my viewing size with nvidia control panel to something closer to 27"or 24" monitor but havent noticed any difference in quality or text.
    Unfortunately i dont have any monitors to go back to see what i think about size etc, my son has a pretty basic 19" led monitor on his pc and its bloody tiny to me :)

As i say ive been happy with it since i got it, some friends went and got similar screens after seeing games on it.
    Have monitors changed much in the last 18 months or so that i would notice a big difference in image quality?

If i was do go with a new monitor what would you guys suggest?

I have a good spec pc,15 2500k @ 4.7,4GB DDR3,MSI GTX660ti Twin Frozr oc edition.
    Im thinking the 660ti might not really shine at the catleaps resolution plus im scared of the dead pixels stories and delays in getting returns sorted etc so probably best to rule it out.
    After that should i go with 120hz,IPS,Led or what, apologies but all this monitor technology at the cutting edge seems to have passed me by :o
    What size is best advise for pc gaming , at a desk, large desk at that :P

Ive been using this link as a relative yardstick of somewhere to start, not sure how accurate it is however.

http://www.squidoo.com/top-gaming-monitor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Do you happen to know of you can see the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz? Many can't.

On monitor recommendation I don't think its possible to beat the Capleaps in terms of price to performance. I love mine! Go for the Q270 and you can always buy a 120Hz board in the future if you need to.

EDIT - a 660ti will have a job driving a big res monitor (1440p) over 60FPS so its kinda moot at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

120hz IPS panels arent exactly widely available. Think the two techs kinda work against each other. I heard mutterings of an LG model that has both techs, but there's certainly not a wide variety to choose from out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

with 660ti i would just stick with something 1080p and ips 60hz.

660ti is a not bad card, but it will strugle to get 120fps on most games for 120hz be usefull and it wont have enough horse power for 1440p ( technicly it will, but you will have to do a lot of compromises.

i would be still an old school fella and i could not recomend more dells 2312hm and 2412hm. great IPS ( sort of ) panels and wont leave you broke.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive oc`ed the 660ti to 670 speeds with ease and only 50 c but yeah its marketed at the 1080p crowd.

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive oc`ed the 660ti to 670 speeds with ease and only 50 c but yeah its marketed at the 1080p crowd.

Its not the clock speed its the memory interface - its only 192bits wide. That said its some really great memory - it's just going to show at 1440p :( That said most people are grand with 40FPS so I wouldnt worry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its not the clock speed its the memory interface - its only 192bits wide. That said its some really great memory - it's just going to show at 1440p :( That said most people are grand with 40FPS so I wouldnt worry.

Aye i understand this mate thanks :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Aye i understand this mate thanks :)

TBH the decision is simple - Catleap :D or if you want smaller a good Dell IPS.

Advertisement