Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne Cycleway

Options
  • 07-09-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Does anyone know anything about the proposed Boyne Cycleway which was approved for funding a few months back?

http://www.cisireland.com/NewsItem.aspx?NewsId=2250

For me, a cycleway running from Drogheda to Oldbridge and onto Newgrange/Interprative centre is a no-brainer and would potentially be a huge asset to the town from a Tourism point of view.

Would be interested in knowing when the work on it is likely to start and how long phase 1 is scheduled to take..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Read about this in a flyer that came in the door the other day. I would love to see this finished - it's an outstandingly beautiful part of the world, and this is a marvelous idea and project!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Never Happen, i'm a cyclist love to see all the canals made so as cyclists could use them but no deal not in my lifetime mores the pity.
    the drogheda canal has been looked after by volunteers for years now and there no further on, fair play to there effords but there just dreaming if they think they will ever get things moving on the canal or walkway.
    i was talking to german tourists at the canal walkway they said it was beautiful but could not understand why it was overgrown and why it came to a dead end:o

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

i was talking to german tourists at the canal walkway they said it was beautiful but could not understand why it was overgrown and why it came to a dead end:o

you should 'ave pointed out the pillboxes along the route... built to keep zee germans out!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

kormak wrote: »
    you should 'ave pointed out the pillboxes along the route... built to keep zee germans out!! :D
    Actually i did they fell about the place laughing at that idea.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I'd love love LOVE to see a footpath/cyclepath built between Drogheda and Oldbridge too. Travel that road most days and lot of walkers and joggers along there. Not the safest road to walk/run on though as it is. Plenty of places where there is nowhere to step in for oncoming traffic. Nevermind tourism, out of pure safety there should be a path built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Scotty # wrote: »
    I'd love love LOVE to see a footpath/cyclepath built between Drogheda and Oldbridge too. Travel that road most days and lot of walkers and joggers along there. Not the safest road to walk/run on though as it is. Plenty of places where there is nowhere to step in for oncoming traffic. Nevermind tourism, out of pure safety there should be a path built.

It's become a popular place to jog following on from the Boyne 10km race which went along that route. Seems like a lot of people run the route of the 10km. The stretch from Oldbridge to the Ramparts is about as dangerous a bit of road as you could find to run on - no idea why people prefer this route.

A walkway from the ramparts to Oldbridge would be a great start - really seems like a no-brainer. I'd love to see the plans for the project that got approval to see where the proposed walkway will go.

Advertisement