Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Deposit

Options
  • 07-09-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering when do I get my security deposit back.

In my current house for two years and lease is up 15th September - informed my landlord 6 weeks ago that I wouldn't be renewing the lease - no problem there. In the meantime I've found a new apartment and will be moving in there this weekend.

I have a very good relationship with my landlord but as yet he has not mentioned or even called to the house in the 6 weeks I have told him I wasn't renewing.

We've had phone conversations regarding viewings over the past fortnight but that's it.

Do I simply just ask him for my deposit back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

By all means ask for it back, but don't expect to get it back until you've:
    • moved out
    • handed back the keys
    • the landlord has carried out an inspection of the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Zulu wrote: »
    • moved out
    • handed back the keys

... and you have proof there are no outstanding bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

silja wrote: »
    • moved out
    • handed back the keys

... and you have proof there are no outstanding bills.

Told I'll get it back 14 days after departure and that's standard practice..is it?
    Not doubting my landlord just have no prior letting experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

14 days is taking the piss quite frankly; do these people not realise that most tenants rely on their deposit in order to move into their next place?

There is no reason why they cant carry out the inspection on the day that you hand back the keys. If you think that repairs need to be carried out then ask the landlord to inspect the place a few days in advance of moving out and to have prices for repairs ready on the day that you are to move out so that they can give you back the deposit less any deductions. There is no way I would accept waiting 2 weeks after I hand back the keys before I get my money back.

djimi wrote: »
    14 days is taking the piss quite frankly; do these people not realise that most tenants rely on their deposit in order to move into their next place?

There is no reason why they cant carry out the inspection on the day that you hand back the keys. If you think that repairs need to be carried out then ask the landlord to inspect the place a few days in advance of moving out and to have prices for repairs ready on the day that you are to move out so that they can give you back the deposit less any deductions. There is no way I would accept waiting 2 weeks after I hand back the keys before I get my money back.

You might not like it, & you might not "stand for it", & you might think it's taking the piss but there's little you can do about it other than rage on the Internet. The reality is that the landlord has the deposit and the landlord has to be satisfied their property hasn't been damaged.

The best you can do to ensure prompt return of your deposit is to have the place absolutely spotlessly clean and tidy when moving out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You might not like it, & you might not "stand for it", & you might think it's taking the piss but there's little you can do about it other than rage on the Internet. The reality is that the landlord has the deposit and the landlord has to be satisfied their property hasn't been damaged.

The best you can do to ensure prompt return of your deposit is to have the place absolutely spotlessly clean and tidy when moving out.

How long does it take to do an inspection; an hour maybe? There is no reason why they cant do it before you move out or on the day. And there is absolutely no reason why it would take two weeks to sort out the deposit once you move out.

Thankfully Ive not been in a position yet where I havent gotten my deposit back on time, but there would be no way the landlord would be getting the keys back until I had my money. As I said, tenants rely on their deposit to move into their next place; its ridiculous that some landlords dont seem to realise this.

It's ridiculous you don't seem to be able to consider a landlords perspective.
    Firstly it could easily take longer than an hour to determine if every utensil is working, that no damage was done, that everything was cleaned, that all the bills were settled.
    Secondly, your position of withholding the keys is as purpostous as your belief that an inspection could occur prior to your departure. Really this is basic stuff.

Whats stopping you having a final night wreck-the-gaff party if the inspection happened prior to your departure, and the deposit handed over?

Frankly the landlord doesn't give a crap whether or not you need the deposit, what the landlord cares about is whether any damage you may have caused, will be covered by the deposit!

Advertisement