Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are your favourite hiking routes in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm heading off for a few days hiking and camping next week and have yet to decide on a spot. Can people recommend some good scenic routes (regardless of how strenuous or remote they are)?

Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

I was up the mournes a couple of weeks ago and have to say it puts the Wicklow mountains to shame.

Fairly heavy going up Donard but spectacular views the whole way

Plenty of info on routes etc here

http://www.walkni.com/Walk.aspx?ID=194

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

I would have to agree with previous poster on the Mournes. They are a great group of mountains and whilst Wicklow would be my normal area and it offers some great hikes the Mournes offer a different sort of challenge. They are just rockier and harder in my opinion. Try the Annalong horseshoe or some or all of of the Mourne wall. For a good tough and long day do the Mourne sevens or for an easier day walk from little Carrick cark park to the col between Slieve Binnian and Slievelamagan and climb first Slieveamagan then drop back down and climb Binnian. The possibilities are endless.. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tatankbull

I wasn't even thinking of the north-east of the country but yeah, it definitely looks great! It looks a bit tougher than my usual walks but I'll give it a go. Thanks for the replies!

I'm biased, but the Reeks, Killarney National Park, the Kerry Way, the Iveragh Peninsula etc. etc. The Kerry Way is the hiking route.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

would have to agree with Donard .. Did it last weekend, climb and view is impressive but the walk through the woods with the stream flowing beside you is a lovely addition. A very rewarding hike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

probably late but
    I once did a hike on the burren and even though it was lashing rain and windy I thought it was fantastic.

dingle way is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Not quite answering the question, but in terms of routes:

The Glover route in Donegal
    Any of the horseshoes in the Bens
    Glendalough-Derrybawn-the Spink
    Croaghaun in Achill
    Cummengeera horseshoe (beware of angry farmer)
    Lug up Fraughen Rock Glen
    Galtees full ridge
    Mournes brandy path and Donard etc
    Carlingford

I've just realised I love so many ;)

Great suggestions Hmmm! I just wish our summers in Ireland lasted a bit longer than a weekend so we could actually enjoy these walks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Tatankbull wrote: »
    Great suggestions Hmmm! I just wish our summers in Ireland lasted a bit longer than a weekend so we could actually enjoy these walks!

a clear winters day is the best for walking , crisp air , you don't get too hot , number of hours of daylight is the only problem.

duckysauce wrote: »
    a clear winters day is the best for walking , crisp air , you don't get too hot , number of hours of daylight is the only problem.
    I actually meant to say camping rather than day hiking. But I agree, a snowy landscape can be a great reward for getting on the trails in Winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

Joyce Country .
    Either side of Lough na Fooey.
    Maum Trasna Plateau onto Devils Mother being my favourite . The views are amazing as you can see the Turks, Bens, Mweelrea, Sheefrys, Croagh Patrick,Nephin, and on a good day the Burren and the Ox .mts.
    You can see the reason the flatlands of South East Mayo and North Galway were referred to as the Plains of Moytura.
    You can see the 3 big western lakes and most of Connemaras little ones and out the Killary to the islands .

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭gripcasey

I like all the ones metioned but my favourite is mweelrea. And ifyour lucky to get a good clear day the views are great. Did it a few weeks back but didnt get good weather, but we enjoyed it,and then into delphi Resort for sauna and bite to eat. Great stuff altogether.

I'll add The Ring of Gullion route to the pile. It's long and there's plenty of road walking but some of the more remote spots give spectacular views and finding good wild camping spots is extremely easy.

http://www.walkni.com/ulsterway/sections/ring-of-gullion-way

It's great to see that despite living on a tiny island we've so many great trails and locations to hike through! Maybe I should start a poll on the topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Gullian is a good one alright. But a good bit of it is on road

Nice thing about the mournes is the quietness. Not too many hikers out and about, last time I did Gullion we met one couple!

Beautiful scenery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭twistedbrains

it might not sound to bad at 1st but my treck to the pub is 4km.... but on way home is about 15km backwards ,forwards, hand and knees, rolling its like a drunk iron man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

it might not sound to bad at 1st but my treck to the pub is 4km.... but on way home is about 15km backwards ,forwards, hand and knees, rolling its like a drunk iron man
    Strenuous stuff!

Reminds me of a beautiful hike I took one Wintery morning back from the Dublin mountains after falling asleep on the nitelink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Coumshingaun.
    Definitely my favourite but some of the hikes mentioned above in Galway/Mayo come in a close second though.

Advertisement