Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find a Barometer

Options
  • 07-09-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to find a weather barometer, the old fashioned type mounted on wood rather than the digital one.

I've tried a few shops but not having much luck. Mayo/Galway area.

Anyone got any ideas on where I'd find one? I need it by next weekend so getting it online isn't really an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Some eejit in Europe decided the mercury barometers cannot be sold anymore. They are my favourite. They can occasionly be picked up in antique shops, I saw one a few years back in an antique shop in Ennis town.

'Banjo barometers' - aneroid type - for a decent one (i.e. a proper one not a toy) try http://comitti.com/Aneroid_Barometers but obviously it'll be mail order.

With some practice you can do some good weather forecasting with just a barometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

deandean wrote: »
    Some eejit in Europe decided the mercury barometers cannot be sold anymore. They are my favourite. They can occasionly be picked up in antique shops, I saw one a few years back in an antique shop in Ennis town.

'Banjo barometers' - aneroid type - for a decent one (i.e. a proper one not a toy) try http://comitti.com/Aneroid_Barometers but obviously it'll be mail order.

With some practice you can do some good weather forecasting with just a barometer.
    Crikey those ones in that link are expensive! It's a shame they have been taken off the market. Surely there couldn't have been that much mercury in them making them dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Crikey those ones in that link are expensive! It's a shame they have been taken off the market. Surely there couldn't have been that much mercury in them making them dangerous.

Try the Weather Shop (UK based).
    http://www.weathershop.co.uk/
    Excellent service as I have dealt with them many times. Mail orders are prompt and they won't leave you waiting.

Some pretty good value traditional barometers here on their site:

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/elements/barometer?p=2

I purchased the 'pocket watch' baro a few years off them for around 60E and still going strong today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Yea I bought a mercury barometer about 15 years ago. It arrived in normal post with this tiny bottle of mercury (about 0.5Kg) that you wouldn't believe the weight of! It took a bit of work to fill the tube and get the air bubbles out but the unit came with good instructions.

A few years later I went to buy another one as a present and there was just no courier who'd ship Hg from UK to IRL.

The mercury barometer is literally everlasting, that one in Ennis I saw was made in 1880 and had hung in a convent.

The aneroid barometer, they can fail, but a good one (like the Comitti) is an heirloom. Maybe if you have a 'significant birthday' coming up, you could drop a hint ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 chalicetree

Hello. I was in the same position looking for one too as a present. Turns out a lot of Jewelers used to sell them in the past and some still do. I managed to find one in Limerick so I'm sure if you ring a couple in Mayo/Galway, either you might strike gold or else they might know where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 chalicetree

Sorry, just read that you needed it by a certain date so too little too late!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Sorry, just read that you needed it by a certain date so too little too late!!

No prob. I ended up getting a digital one in Maplin. And the receiver was very happy with it.

Advertisement