Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much money to bring with you on a permanent migration visa to aus

Options
  • 07-09-2012 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I'm working as a lab technician here in Ireland and I will be going to Australia on a permanent migration visa ASAP, my problem at the moment is that I have no savings, I used them all recently to clear my loan and pay off my orthodontist treatment so im only just starting to save again , how much would everyone here recommend I bring over with me to aus, I would be pretty much starting the job hunt straight away, I know there are jobs in my field over there and whilst Melbourne is my preference I won't limit myself to just one location. The advantage of melbourne is that my brother is there and he said I could stay with him until I get settled, obviously id give him some rent and money for the bills but at least I wont have to fork out a big deposit, id say ill be able to stay in my brothers place for 150-200 dollars a week including bills, so with all this info whats the minimum I should go over with, would 5k not be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Are you single or have you got wife and kids.
    Are you shipping stuff over from ireland or are you just landing with a suitcase.

It really depends on your situation if there is wife and kids involved 5k wont get you anywhere. If you plan on getting an apartment/house and arnt shipping any stuff then you must allow for buying everything including all them stupid things that used to clog up the drawers back home. You will also need a reasonable car if you have family and 5k dosnt buy you much in the line of a decent car over here.
    If yo are arriving on your own and dont mind struggling/roughing it for a bit then 5k would probably just about get you going. Obviously the bad exchange rate at the moment will only get you about 6kaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

$5k is the bare minimum needed as a singleton and staying at your brother's place. Getting a job here could take anywhere from a week to 6 weeks+ realistically, if you you're intent on getting the right job for you.
    Unexpected expenses crop up all the time especially in a new country/continent.
    Going beyond Melbourne, have $10k as a safety net.

Having someone here to stay with makes the transition much much easier, not to mention it taking away the hassle of rent and even eating out etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

No im single and dont have any kids, the fact I can stay with my brother over there until I find a job is a big money saver. I heard the cost of getting a bond for an apartment can cost a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

No im single and dont have any kids, the fact I can stay with my brother over there until I find a job is a big money saver. I heard the cost of getting a bond for an apartment can cost a fortune
    Bond is standard up to 4weeks rent, and again someplaces will ask for rent upfront too. Our place in total is 6 weeks. If shared house that's anywhere between 800-1500 before you even step foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Our landlord wanted the a month's worth of rent as a deposit, and wanted the first 4 weeks rent paid in advance, cost us a good bit.

Try getting somewhere unfurnished, it'll probably be fairly cheap and it's usually fairly easy to get cheap/free second hand furniture here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement