Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Authors rubbishing their own work

Options
  • 07-09-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

The Green Fool is possibly one of the best things I've ever read but I recently read Kavanagh's own opinion of the work. He was scathing of himself. Beckett has done it too and Kafka, I'm sure there's loads, but I was wondering do such opinions matter?

I know reviews can easily be cast aside but when the reviewers are the authors themselves surely it makes a difference...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Its a sign of a very critical mind, which is quite useful if you're a writer. I'd be of the opinion that a boastful writer is a bad writer most of the time (Think of Gore Vidal - a terrible novelist but thought he was the bee's knee's. The same goes for Martin Amis. And that guy McEwan. They all have high opinions of themselves and its a pity they are so well regarded.)

Considering that two of the three writers mentioned were Irish I'd also think it likely that its a part of our national preoccupation - Irish people tend to sell themselves short and humility used to be the cornerstone of our self deprecating form of humour.

As a sidenote, I loved the 'Green Fool' as well, Kavanagh was a great writer.

Advertisement