Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Wallace (It's a great life!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

He deserves every penny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

DenMan wrote: »

Or this: http://www.thejournal.ie/kevin-dwyer-resign-587256-Sep2012/
    KEVIN DWYER, THE Fianna Fáil councillor who moved to Sydney a year ago, has said that he will resign this month.
    The councillor – from New Ross, Co Wexford – had been allowed to retain his seat and his €4,000 annual stipend, despite living thousands of miles away from his constituents.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can't blame the guy for taking advantage of the system. The one biggins put up is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Hate the game not the playa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

D1stant wrote: »
    He deserves every penny
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Can't blame the guy for taking advantage of the system.

See, I dont get comments like that.
    If I or any other regular person was to take advantage of the system it would be a different story. You'd hear outcrys from people on here about how I am in the wrong and should be reported or what not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

His biggest mistake was leaving Led Zeppelin

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If I or any other regular person was to take advantage of the system it would be a different story. You'd hear outcrys from people on here about how I am in the wrong and should be reported or what not.

Not from me. I'm not bothered he's claiming the allowance, i would do it too. Surely the existence of the allowance in the first place and the fact he's entitled to it (it would seem) is the real issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

His biggest mistake was leaving Led Zeppelin

Careful - that joke could go down like a lead balloon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He's not talking about breaking the rules, he means that if the money's there, the guy is going to take it.

Be honest - if your employer had a scheme whereby you could "claim" a huge chunk of cash each year that was unvouched, untaxed and required no extra effort from you except to fill out a form, you would take it.
    You wouldn't refuse it "for the good of the company", you'd take it.

The real problem here isn't that Mick Wallace is taking it, the problem is that this payment exists at all. All these nonsense allowances need to be eradicated across the public and civil sector. In every other sector you get paid your salary and that's it.

Mick Wallace is separately a joke because he got elected on the basis of making changes and challenging the "fat cats" who destroyed the economy, while somehow managing to hide the fact that he was one of these people who destroyed the economy. He's laughing at the people who voted him in. They must fee very silly indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

What got to me was the big deal he made about paying half his salary to the tax man in consideration of him having swindled the VATman, without ever mentioning he was also going to access this "slush fund", which few of us knew existed.
    Ya have to hand it to the politicians they're a lot cleverer than us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

They won't really feel silly because he will probably be voted in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

''They dont all have to be the same'' Micks slogan for election.

Go take this up with him and your local TD, nothing gets changed by moaning, dont pay household charges etc until the political class start cutting cloth in the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

DenMan wrote: »

only in ireland does sh!t happen that happens in every other country in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

is this mickah 'dont fook with me' wallace from the commitments...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

seamus wrote: »
    He's laughing at the people who voted him in. They must fee very silly indeed.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they voted him in again at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Does every other TD get this allowance? If so it's hardly newsworthy to report that Mick Wallace gets it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Pj! wrote: »
    Does every other TD get this allowance? If so it's hardly newsworthy to report that Mick Wallace gets it too.

Some higher some lower. I think the news is that someone who defrauded the state is allowed get 41k in "expenses". Added to his salary, and his pension, it all adds up to a nice chunk of taxpayers money.

The man sickens me by the way...his appearance, his general demeanor, the fact he wont resign, his on going thievery of Irish taxpayers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not from me. I'm not bothered he's claiming the allowance, i would do it too. Surely the existence of the allowance in the first place and the fact he's entitled to it (it would seem) is the real issue.
    That allowance was put in place by - drumroll - Bertie Ahern as a sop to Jackie Healy-Rae, Michael Lowry and other dodgy-as-f*ck independents to buy their votes in support of Fianna Failure governments.

It's worked out as well as most other Fianna Failure strokes - short term 'success', long term failure.

keithob wrote: »
    the man is right... the rest of the **** in the dail are robbing us blind sure what harm is he doing.... :eek:
    He's already robbed us of over €2 million euro, and now he has the cheek to draw a big salary as a TD and another €41,000 per year for leading a party that doesn't even exist.

Jeez, I hope you don't vote.

the man is right... the rest of the **** in the dail are robbing us blind sure what harm is he doing.... :eek:

Hopefully you or someone close to you is never in need of a operation and is reliant on the hse. then you will see what harm he and the rest are causing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they voted him in again at the next election.

Not a hope in hell of that happening. He was elected because of the lack of public figures who stood for what the people wanted. Which was individuals to challenge the cuts. Mick was high profile, seemed like a decent guy and had done a lot for the community with his soccer stuff.

Now its clear he ran for one reason and one reason only. To get the money to stave off the creditors and take care of number one. The Wallace supports around here have been very very quiet of late. He wont even run in the next election and if it was put to a by election he'd be out on his ear after a record low turnout, with his past supported shamed into keeping the heads down on election day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

He's already robbed us of over €2 million euro, and now he has the cheek to draw a big salary as a TD and another €41,000 per year for leading a party that doesn't even exist.

Jeez, I hope you don't vote.

Why not? Is he not entitled to a vote just as much as you regardless of how he votes? Downright insulting thing to say to another person.

sure what does a matter if i vote the majority of this country will vote in the clowns who have the country on its knees.

we need a political revolution in this country... it aint gona happen.. such is life...

start it man!!!!! one man can make a difference. but with what you have said im not sure your what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seamus wrote: »
    He's laughing at the people who voted him in. They must fee very silly indeed.

You overestimate them :)

They're far too thick to see him laughing at them. They'll vote for him again. Just like the Tipp thickos forever voting in the profoundly corrupt Michael Lowry

sure what does a matter if i vote the majority of this country will vote in the clowns who have the country on its knees.
    The guys who brought the country to its knees are Fianna Failure. The saps who are in charge right now are the guys trying to save the sinking ship. It's funny, Obama is getting the exact same reaction in the US because he hasn't fixed the Republican clusterf*ck yet, and the Republicans have a good chance of getting back into power.

staker wrote: »
    Why not? Is he not entitled to a vote just as much as you regardless of how he votes? Downright insulting thing to say to another person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

unkel wrote: »
    You overestimate them :)

They're far too thick to see him laughing at them. They'll vote for him again. Just like the Tipp thickos forever voting in the profoundly corrupt Michael Lowry

But he fixed the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Its an allowance for independaant TD's as "leader". But ya he can get it he is entitled to it (under the current system) Who hear hand on heart honesty say no wont have it good of the country and all that. I wish I would but.

The guys who brought the country to its knees are Fianna Failure. The saps who are in charge right now are the guys trying to save the sinking ship. It's funny, Obama is getting the exact same reaction in the US because he hasn't fixed the Republican clusterf*ck yet, and the Republicans have a good chance of getting back into power.

Ah now yes Fina Fail did but us into this mess but it is not making the goverment bungling over allowances, health cuts and wages for advisors and petty squabbling.

Obama has been a failure. health is a mess the national debt has gone through the roof and fuel prices has sky rocketed.

• Advertisement

Ah now yes Fina Fail did but us into this mess but it is not making the goverment bungling over allowances, health cuts and wages for advisors and petty squabbling.
    The only problem I have with them is that they haven't cut nearly enough. Of course, that would make them massively unpopular with every special interest group - but it's what is needed. The wages for advisors stuff is of zero consequence - just fluff for the media.
    Obama has been a failure. health is a mess the national debt has gone through the roof and fuel prices has sky rocketed.
    You need to distinguish between what Obama has done/tried to do and what Congress has done. The Republicans have spent 4 years blocking every move he has tried to make, then blaming him for nothing getting done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Anyone wrote: »
    Some higher some lower. I think the news is that someone who defrauded the state is allowed get 41k in "expenses". Added to his salary, and his pension, it all adds up to a nice chunk of taxpayers money.

The man sickens me by the way...his appearance, his general demeanor, the fact he wont resign, his on going thievery of Irish taxpayers money.

There is also the fact that he was very quick to announce that he was giving half his salary back, whilst at the same time applying to receive this which of course he wasnt so quick to announce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

why 4 years into this recession are these allowances even available to politicians...we suffered death by 10,000 cuts, we now need our leaders to make the 10,000 small steps to sort this mess out...and every penny our government spends should be fully justified given our current woes.

read last night about some clown councillor from wexford who has been living in Oz for last year while still claiming his councillor allowances.

Only in Oireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Does he have to declare where that 41,000 is going to, with receipts and such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Doubt it, sure we all know where its going anyway either on jaunts abroad to watch Ireland play in the Euro's or trips to his vineyard or turin apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

That's it, I've had enough. I'm telling Frau Merkel. I reckon its not too late to hand over the reins to the country now if we ask nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

He gets the allowance because he doesnt have a big party and its resources behind him. If independents didn't get it they would be at an even bigger disadvantage then they are now and wouldn't be able to serve their constituents.

The only problem I have with them is that they haven't cut nearly enough. Of course, that would make them massively unpopular with every special interest group - but it's what is needed. The wages for advisors stuff is of zero consequence - just fluff for the media.

You need to distinguish between what Obama has done/tried to do and what Congress has done. The Republicans have spent 4 years blocking every move he has tried to make, then blaming him for nothing getting done.

I agree the Republicans have made things harder when they got control waas it not 2 years ago. What did they do before that. The semocrats are there own worst ememy at times. But as they say "its the economy stupid". Unemployment is high people have less money and fuel is sky high.

Yes the goverment need to do unpopolar decission but they are pussy futting around it untill they can trot either 1 of 2 lines "Its the Troika" or "It was all Fina Fail" Now while it is true its is not Final Fail who is making them pussy foot. What they need to do is just do it and thats no body fault if they dont except there own. Next election will be between FF, FG & SF(god help us).
    IIn relation to the allowances, & advisors it does matter as it shows those in high positions with power can get anything and lowest paid staff (in the public service) and the rest of the people get it handed to them before the top people

He gets the allowance because he doesnt have a big party and its resources behind him. If independents didn't get it they would be at an even bigger disadvantage then they are now and wouldn't be able to serve their constituents.
    Nonsense. As I said, it was brought in by Bertie to buy independents.

No, just independent TD's get it as far as I've been told.

No. Not a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I would really love this country to go bankrupt for no other reason than all those slimey politicians will get zilch and all their contracts would be nil and void.

I'm still disgusted that the man hasn't resigned.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

That allowance was put in place by - drumroll - Bertie Ahern as a sop to Jackie Healy-Rae, Michael Lowry and other dodgy-as-f*ck independents to buy their votes in support of Fianna Failure governments.

It's worked out as well as most other Fianna Failure strokes - short term 'success', long term failure.

And FG haven't done a single damned thing to get rid of it (no surprise here). The €41,000 is also a leaders allowance for party leaders so that goes straight into Enda or FG's pocket.
    The guys who brought the country to its knees are Fianna Failure.

.........lets conveniently forget FG's role in this in massive unsustainable and badly planned rezonings acroos the country, let's also forget that they were trying to out auction FF in parish pump political promises in the 2007 GE. They would have been no different, instead of shouting stop, they roared the unsustainable bubble on.

No they are hugely important, very symbolic and a good measurement of how serious FG/Lab are on cutting down the gravy train. It seems so far that they have no intention of cutting down on it at all.

If you think they should have it then it should be vouched, and up to an amount well below €41,000
    Biggins wrote: »
    No, just independent TD's get it as far as I've been told.

All party leaders get it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

bijapos wrote: »
    And FG haven't done a single damned thing to get rid of it (no surprise here). The €41,000 is also a leaders allowance for party leaders so that goes straight into Enda or FG's pocket.

.........lets conveniently forget FG's role in this in massive unsustainable and badly planned rezonings acroos the country, let's also forget that they were trying to out auction FF in parish pump political promises in the 2007 GE. They would have been no different, instead of shouting stop, they roared the unsustainable bubble on.

No they are hugely important, very symbolic and a good measurement of how serious FG/Lab are on cutting down the gravy train. It seems so far that they have no intention of cutting down on it at all.

If you think they should have it then it should be vouched, and up to an amount well below €41,000

All party leaders get it too.

You sound like a Fianna Fáil zombie.

Uriel. wrote: »
    You sound like a Fianna Fáil zombie.

Total opposite in fact. You can check out my posts on the politics forum which back this up.

I've always struggled as to who to put at the bottom of the ballot sheet, FF or FG, I have equal contempt for both and had no faith in FG changing the system to any great extent after 2011. I tend to vote social democrat or environmental parties. Last time out I voted Green 1, Labour 2 in Dublin SE, not happy with it but IMO the best of an appalling bunch.

Edit: In 2011 I voted Green 1, Mannix Flynn IND 2 and Labour 3 and 4. I gave Flynn a 2 for his work on the arts and child abuse even though he had no hope of getting in .

To be fair, I think there have been bigger fish to fry for the last year or so...
    .........lets conveniently forget FG's role in this in massive unsustainable and badly planned rezonings acroos the country,
    That was the work of individual councils. They f*cked it up all on their own with no party political agenda.
    let's also forget that they were trying to out auction FF in parish pump political promises in the 2007 GE. They would have been no different, instead of shouting stop, they roared the unsustainable bubble on.
    Yup, and I questioned the policy then - to be told by a national political correspondent that if they didn't, they would get annihilated at the polls. The stupidity of the electorate forces that type of politics. Is that the fault of the parties or the voters?
    Nah, they were just total fluff, a non-story whipped up by the media. The whole lot of their salaries added together doesn't approach what Mick Wallace has stolen.

Edit: In 2011 I voted Green 1, Mannix Flynn IND 2 and Labour 3 and 4. I gave Flynn a 2 for his work on the arts and child abuse even though he had no hope of getting in .
    Ah yes, the Greens. What a proud record in government they have, propping up Fianna Failure all the way to our near total destruction, abandoning every principle they pretended to in the process...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Ah yes, the Greens. What a proud record in government they have, propping up Fianna Failure all the way to our near total destruction, abandoning every principle they pretended to in the process...

Sounds like a politician - blaming every one else to distract from a problem that their own party are too inept or have no interest in rectifying- total abandoning of personal responsibility and blaming every one else/the system or their own lack of power to make changes
    none of them seem tot ake any responsibility and have a serious problem of having inertia/no personal momentum
    by the way I'm not affiliated with any party
    in every election I feel like picking none of the above

...All party leaders get it too.

Maybe then I'm confused.

On top of ALL their standard wages...

All elected get 41,600 for expenses of running an office, hiring a secretary, etc.

They all get travelling expenses

All get accommodation allowance.

Independents alone also get 41,000 approx as they are just independents (there must be some reason behind this one)

They get phone/mail allowance besides other expenses.

Thats the short version.
    The long version can be found here: http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/tdssenators/parliamentarystandardallowance/

MOC88 wrote: »
    in every election I feel like picking none of the above
    I sympathise, but the best you can do is pick the least worst option - or get involved yourself and change things from the inside. Of course, I can't push the latter option too hard because I wouldn't stand for election in this country in a fit. Competing with the likes of Wallace and Lowry for the votes of fools... <shudder>

To be fair, I think there have been bigger fish to fry for the last year or so...

Oh have they? Good to know. 19 Independents X €41K p.a = €800k p.a X 5 years of a dail lifetime = €4,000,000 + . This could be sorted at the stroke of a pen, and they can't do that. FFS, that's incompetence and typical that they don't want to rock the boat and get a hard time in Dail debates. The fact that you regard this as small fish is more than disappointing.

That was the work of individual councils. They f*cked it up all on their own with no party political agenda.

OK. so now FG have no control over their councillors, many of whom are now sitting in the Dail. I never heard any TD shout stop. Did you?
    Yup, and I questioned the policy then - to be told by a national political correspondent that if they didn't, they would get annihilated at the polls. The stupidity of the electorate forces that type of politics. Is that the fault of the parties or the voters?

Fault of the parties.
    Nah, they were just total fluff, a non-story whipped up by the media. The whole lot of their salaries added together doesn't approach what Mick Wallace has stolen.

Every penny counts, it's just as easy to pay them at the max that was agreed instead of going over. The fact that they can't means that the original agreement means nothing to them and that they have little backbone.

The fact that you try to defend the above is bizarre tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement