Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Looking forward to hearing pricing and crossing fingers VF carry it so I can get an upgrade in work. Think this will finally be my upgrade from N8. It's not sounding like the perfect spec list but ticks enough of my boxes and will be a chance to move to WP8 and try something other than Symbian for the first time! Just wish it had Xenon flash plus am wondering if it'll be a bit big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Those prices would make sense. It would have it essentially the same as the SGS3, the Iphone and the HTC One X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

this. 599eu looks a bit steep if they want to compete with other to big boys. Nokia need to butter up customers for a wee bit now, before they will go apple price listings.

so europe will be getting it earlyer then US?! wow... i will really want to see some reviews of it.

maybe someone knows a good link on youtube for win 8 mobile OS and its browser? i have to admit i know feck all about it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I've had my HD7 for 2 years now and either this or the 820 will be its replacement. I like my photography but don't always have my biggish camera with me, so if the 920s camera is as good as indicated then we could be onto a winner. I also couldn't care less what the mass market thinks about Windows Phone, it has served me well for 2 years and I don't see why I would be better off on android or iPhone. and the wireless charging looks cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't really want to go back to iPhone, but I am getting a bit sick of Android's security issues.

E.g. Facebook asking me for ridiculous permissions which I can't opt out of.

If Nokia can provide me with a really nice handset that has better security than Google Android and isn't as restrictive as an iPhone, I would seriously consider it.

Also, I am not at all impressed with Blackberry and wouldn't even give it a second thought.

To give Nokia its due credit, they look like a stunning handset and they will stand out from the wall of black-slab iPhone-esque lookalikes in the phone shops.

Btw does windows phone has support for whatapp and photobucket?

You can check their marketplace out online http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace (US)
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/marketplace (Ireland)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Ya , never thought Id be interested in a Windoze phone, but gotta say, this handset looks great and win os 8, is looking kinda slick,

Have had all the iphones and an S2, liked all the custom roms for android, but soon got bored with all the tinkering and the apps and ui look like ****e after you used a retina display iphone.

Retina display and quality apps are awesome on ios, but the os is pretty dull without jailbreaking it and using the communities tweaks and magical apps apple wouldn't dare let you have

So gotta say, I'm keeping a close eye on this, if the price is right and M$ dont charge like apple and Samsung, they potentially have a massive opportunity here, I for one defiantly wont be upgrading to an iphone 5 for an extra half an inch of screen real estate, ill get the Lumia in November or when ever it becomes available

Btw does windows phone has support for whatapp and photobucket?

Whatsapp have a WP app alright that my wife seems to be happily using, but the thing I'm really looking for is a proper Skype app (currently it only does outgoing calls - you need to be running the app fulltime to get incoming calls). Luckily skype is baked into WP8 so you can call a contact directly from the Contacts list etc. Big plus for me.

There's also an official photbucket app but I don't use it myself.

i just watched nokia lumia 900 review and omfg its cool! so if 920 is an improvement over 900 with better camera then they got a sale from me. its going to be a long wait for end of october so.

I am on iPhone 3GS atm and I am changing my phone this year. I really don't want to stay with iOS anymore.
    First option was S3, but I never knew a thing about new win7/8 and lumia range. I really hope lumia 920 will do well when it's out, so far it ticks all the boxes for me. Nokia really does not need the whole n900 insident.

One of the factors that has me considering Nokia again is that there are a lot of reports that Nokia's antenna designs are light years ahead of the competition.
    A buddy of mine has a Lumia (older version) and he often has reception (on the same network) when I've bad / no reception on my Galaxy SII.

I'd also like to see how they compare in terms of battery life.

The Galaxy SIII is quite hard to beat in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Solair wrote: »
    One of the factors that has me considering Nokia again is that there are a lot of reports that Nokia's antenna designs are light years ahead of the competition.
    A buddy of mine has a Lumia (older version) and he often has reception (on the same network) when I've bad / no reception on my Galaxy SII.

I'd also like to see how they compare in terms of battery life.

The Galaxy SIII is quite hard to beat in that regard.
    Well i can back that up i have better reception with my lumia than with a host of other phones.

I have a lumia 720 battery life as you know depends on usage i would be a light user, as in a few phones calls , plenty of texts, small bit of music, turning on the wifi once or twice a day to check mails and browse net etc quickly i would get 2 days with my usage.

On a day of very heavy usage i would get the 24hrs alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

does the 920 record video/audio in HD? heard it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭beardo81

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/05/deceptive-advertising-nokia-admits-to-faking-the-pureview-ad/

Will this put anyone off? They were trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes a little and looks like it backfired.
    Shame, because the camera probably is very good and the phone looks really nice, the last thing they need is bad publicity.

• Advertisement

who_ru wrote: »
    does the 920 record video/audio in HD? heard it doesn't.

where'd you hear that? Even the old windows phones from 2 years ago record in 720p, all the new WP8 handsets do 1080p (or 1080i) as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

hows it compare to iphone5?

hows it compare to iphone5?

Well, I get the impression people are disappointed with the iPhone 5. It has the bigger screen and it's thinner and lighter, but there's no other notable "killer" features. The Nokia 920 has caught the imagination with wireless charging, NFC and the hardware camera image stabilisation, features not available on iPhone 5. The 920 design is a little bolder than the pedestrian looking iPhone 5 (subject to your tastes I suppose). The exclusion of NFC in iPhone 5 is probably the biggest surprise since this is really catching on in the Android world, and mobile payments are expected to be a big part of this. Additionally, $29 for an adapter for each of your old iPhone accessories is a little cheeky.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-vs-the-competition-fight/

Having said that, the Nokia 920 is the thickest phone of the bunch, probably due to the camera tech and wireless charging, but personally it's the phone I'll be going for when it becomes available over here. Not in banana yellow, maybe the white or grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

Not so good.......

I will need to see the Nokia Lucia 920 in person first.

It's an impressive looking device though.

The iPhone 5 is just a fairly unadventurous evolution of the iPhone 4S. It's a bit thinner, got a processor upgrade and a better screen. Other than that, nothing particularly exciting to report about it.

The Nokia design is very different and innovative.

That being said, the Galaxy S3 seems to out rank the Nokia on a few things

Notably, better standby battery life which is a biggie in terms of phones.

The lack of memory card slots of both the Nokia and iPhone is disappointing too. While I'd expect it from Apple, it's a bit odd for Nokia and fairly stupid for a phone with such a stunning camera setup!

I have a feeling they're trying to push Microsoft's SkyDrive cloud platform. Although, they claim it's because they couldn't fit a microSD card slot due to all the radio systems for NFC, Wireless Charging etc and they didn't want to spoil the clean lines. Seems rather an implausible story given the size of a microSD card slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭kirving

I got a tweet from Meteor today, not good news...

https://twitter.com/Meteor_Mobile/status/248342598832500736

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

I got a tweet from Meteor today, not good news...

https://twitter.com/Meteor_Mobile/status/248342598832500736

Ah crap. Unlocked then I suppose

• Advertisement

The networks are relatively slow to pick up on anything other than iPhone launches to be honest.

Also, I don't know why Nokia's launching a phone in September and then not making it available until November!??? That's going to just annoy people rather than generate sales.

Apple pre-hypes, hypes, hypes some more, launches and then gets the phones to market relatively quickly after the launch.

Nokia's going to miss the boat AGAIN with this slow launch (after iPhone 5 & probably other new phones too)

HTC also launched a multicoloured Windows 8 phone : http://www.htc.com/ie/

CNET Side-by-side comparison with Nokia Lumia 920

Weirdly similar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Solair wrote: »
    The networks are relatively slow to pick up on anything other than iPhone launches to be honest.

Also, I don't know why Nokia's launching a phone in September and then not making it available until November!??? That's going to just annoy people rather than generate sales.

Apple pre-hypes, hypes, hypes some more, launches and then gets the phones to market relatively quickly after the launch.

Nokia's going to miss the boat AGAIN with this slow launch (after iPhone 5 & probably other new phones too)

HTC also launched a multicoloured Windows 8 phone : http://www.htc.com/ie/

CNET Side-by-side comparison with Nokia Lumia 920

Weirdly similar...

I think Nokia had to show their phone before Apple showed there's and it seems to have been a good idea. Most tech sites have been comparing the iPhone to the Lumia 920 and the Lumia is coming out pretty well.

You have to remember Windows Phone 8 hasn't been released yet and these phones all just have the beta version on. Microsoft doesn't want to reveal much before the Windows Phone 8 launch. I'm expecting that the new OS is going to be a lot better than IOS6.

We'll just have to wait till next month to get some good reviews of the Nokia Lumia 920.

I forgot to say that Samsung and HTC have done the same as Nokia. They'll all come out at the end of October / start of November after the WP8 launch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Kinda dissapointed by the size and weight of the 920. I'm not against the screen size because I've been hating the small screen of my iPhone for a while now but, dammit, couldn't they have fit the whole thing into a thinner profile that's lighter in the pocket??

In other news it looks like HTC have come out with two Lumia rip-offs yesterday. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the design. Though, their two handsets appear to be better on the "thinner and lighter" front so possible better suited to what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Does the wireless charging thingy come as standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Does the wireless charging thingy come as standard?

I don't think they have said anything about it yet, but I doubt it.
    Certainly with palm and HP the touchstone chargers were a separate accessory.

From looking at the current price of other manufacturers flagship phones I would say this phone will be between €550 and €600 at release and drop fairly rapidly like the Lumia 900 did (Its around €400 now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭kirving

Wireless charging is buit into the 920, while the 820 will require a special cover. The actual charing mat though, is sold seperately in both cases.

Wireless charging is buit into the 920, while the 820 will require a special cover. The actual charing mat though, is sold seperately in both cases.

it will be a lot slower charge then normal way too. still handy i guess.

i still like the lumia 920 and i still thinking it as my main option between iphone, s3 and lumia 920.

now we just need for damn thing to be released and see a few proper reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I hope we can get it on Vodafone, seems likely, doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

Very likely.

However buying one sim free and going on 30 day contract is usually the cheapest option anyway. Thats what I'd do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

Has the 920 lots of LTE versions like the iPhone 5...need to be careful if buying SIM free that it'll work here when LTE appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

fits wrote: »
    Very likely.

However buying one sim free and going on 30 day contract is usually the cheapest option anyway. Thats what I'd do.

Halfway through a two year contact, unfortunately. I'm hoping they might let me upgrade in six months...

and whens htc is coming out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Honestly, I have found in all phones that satellite navigation leaves me cold. In my experience, Nokia Maps just isn't as good (I have driven on motorways and the mapping software has got "lost") as the dedicated alternatives that you can now buy pretty cheaply. Try before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Honestly, I have found in all phones that satellite navigation leaves me cold. In my experience, Nokia Maps just isn't as good (I have driven on motorways and the mapping software has got "lost") as the dedicated alternatives that you can now buy pretty cheaply. Try before you buy.

Nokia drive on the lumis is excellent compared to many dedicated alternatives. I don't know why you would think a cheap gps system is going to have better gps than a 600 euro smartphone. The Lumia has one of the fastest gps locks I've come across as it uses assisted gps.

Also if it can't find the location from the name you've entered it will search online if you want. As we don't use post codes in Ireland this has been extremely handy.

Best of all its free! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Griffinx wrote: »
    Has the 920 lots of LTE versions like the iPhone 5...need to be careful if buying SIM free that it'll work here when LTE appears.

Why is everyone so worried about LTE. There is no LTE in Ireland. So forget about it. iPhone 5 won't have it nor any other phone for a while till networks bring it out.

Having such a big gap between the announcement and release is not ideal but Nokia and HTC have no other choice than to announce when they did. The actual release date for the 920 was probably set months ago based on manufacturers capacity. Basically when Apple have new hardware to release they dictate how things happen and every else just has to try and keep up.

On an unrelated note I think a lot of people are underestimating the weight and size of the Lumia 920. It is heavier and thicker than the original Galaxy Note!

• Advertisement
Advertisement