Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

Having such a big gap between the announcement and release is not ideal but Nokia and HTC have no other choice than to announce when they did. The actual release date for the 920 was probably set months ago based on manufacturers capacity. Basically when Apple have new hardware to release they dictate how things happen and every else just has to try and keep up.

On an unrelated note I think a lot of people are underestimating the weight and size of the Lumia 920. It is heavier and thicker than the original Galaxy Note!

Underestimating? Or you are overplaying? The Galaxy Note is an ugly device in my opinion. Thinness comes at a price...
    Plus there is so much innovation in the Lumia 920 that can explain the thickness.
    Yet it's thinner than the Lumia 900... 10.7 mm against 12 mm.
    Galaxy Note: 9.7 mm.
    SGS3: 8.6 mm.
    My current Lumia 800 is 12.1mm thick so going to the 920 at 10.7 mm won't make much difference but it's certainly not thicker...
    We're talking much of a muchness here folks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Why is everyone so worried about LTE. There is no LTE in Ireland. So forget about it. iPhone 5 won't have it nor any other phone for a while till networks bring it out.

There's no LTE *YET*. It will launch sometime in the near future though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have the SE Play and while it is fairly weighty at first, you quickly get used to it and don't notice the weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Solair wrote: »
    Why is everyone so worried about LTE. There is no LTE in Ireland. So forget about it. iPhone 5 won't have it nor any other phone for a while till networks bring it out.

I know but I'm not having my fingers crossed for it to come any time soon.

Everyone seems to be thinking that since the iPhone is now LTE that we will have LTE here when it comes lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I can't see enough of a difference between the 920 and 820 to justify the (probably) €100 price difference. Can anyone?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can't see enough of a difference between the 920 and 820 to justify the (probably) €100 price difference. Can anyone?
    The 920 has a bigger higher resolution screen, better battery life, more storage (it's not expandable though) and wireless charging built in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

My phone's weight is 380g! I'm interested in the 920 but the screen size is a bit small.

I'll let the early adopters adopt and see how WP8 performs.

Using android right now and would be interested in trying Nokia again.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

The 920 has a bigger higher resolution screen, better battery life, more storage (it's not expandable though) and wireless charging built in.

I know... but do you think that's worth an extra ton? I'm not asking rhetorically, I'm genuinely curious what people are willing to pay for those features.

I'm a bit of a WP fanboi, but it just seems too much more money for me. Thought maybe it'll be less, I suppose I'd pay an extra €60 or so. Hopefully I'll get it as an upgrade anyhow.

I know... but do you think that's worth an extra ton? I'm not asking rhetorically, I'm genuinely curious what people are willing to pay for those features.

I'm a bit of a WP fanboi, but it just seems too much more money for me. Thought maybe it'll be less, I suppose I'd pay an extra €60 or so. Hopefully I'll get it as an upgrade anyhow.

The bigger screen would put me off anyways. Wireless charging needs it to be on a special pad which is a bit crap so I don't care about that. I'd prefer to have expandable storage as well so I'd say stick with the 820.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Apparently it's a long way away. It's also very unlikely Ireland will be ahead of the uk rolling this out.
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/24/is-speedy-lte-finally-coming-to-the-uk-ofcom-sets-4g-auction-for-early-2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

Wireless charging needs it to be on a special pad which is a bit crap so I don't care about that.

I used wireless charging on my Palm Pre and I thought it was great. I had a charging pad at work, at home and in the car and you just leave the phone on the pad whenever youre in front of it...no messing with wires etc...so I liked it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ChoralClam

With respect to Nokia Navigation. After purchasing Navteq Nokia have gone way ahead of the competition here.
    Have a read of this:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobegan/2012/09/20/nokia-maps-drives-circles-around-apple-and-google/

I spent most of this year working on both the 820 and 920 for Nokia over in the States. I was an Android fan myself until I starting using WP. I was very impressed by the 900. Used it for 7 months and found it much faster, more integrated and a far better UI once you give it a few days and get used to where everything is.
    Nokia drive is outstanding though. It helped me out big time when I started in San Diego getting to the office and I did a massive roadtrip around most of CA and NV and it was spot on even in Yosemite and Death Valley.

I've worked on Symbian, Android, WP7 and Windows 8 and I have to say I really enjoyed working on windows.. I never though I'd say that as I was always a hater and never a lover. My personal machine runs Ubuntu.
    I'm not sure I'll be going fully windows 8 but I'll definitely get myself a 920 when it is released. It's far far better than iPhone X and while it might not have everything the S3 has, It has most and has some cracking new features. The Lenses, augmented reality and wireless charging are worth making a change for you fanbOIS out there. And while the wireless charging might be slower, you can always use your standard adapter anyway..
    I don't understand why anyone would go iPhone 5 especially if they have the 4s but then again most people are just blinded by marketing and the rest are stuck as they own other apple hardware and can't break the cycle. As my sister said when I asked her what she will be doing.. Oh defo iPhone 5, I'd love 4 more icons on my screen.. people are basic..

Play around with Metro and give it a chance, you'll be surprised how easy it is, how integrated everything is and how customisable it is.. especially on WP8.

The size is not bad at all. Chicks wont care as they just throw it in their bag and unless your a wee fellow with small pockets and tight jeans then you'll be grand and you should be worrying about why you've skinny jeans instead.

With respect to memory expansion.. I never used even half of what is available, we're going past the days of needing to copy ALL our ****e onto our phones anyway. Skydrive is quite usable and when LTE rolls in, you'll just stream everything. I used to use Spotify in the car driving to work. Streamed without interruption on LTE and 4G. And we've all had those space issues on android in the past and iphones slowing down too.

I'm currently using a HTC 7 running WP7 and an Xperia Play running Android.

Roll on November..

for me it's a tie between the S3 and 920 and the nicer UI and lenses apps enough for me to go for 920 instead.
    iphone.. well.. I think it's days would be numbered if people weren't sheep but we know that's not the case.

Galaxy Tab P1000 - sure you look like Dom Joly when speaking with it beside your head, but it's great for surfing the web on the go, GPS, movies etc.

Unfortunately the Galaxy Tab 2 (7") isn't much of an upgrade. I think I'll wait a while longer to see what is available... Note 2 at 5.5" is getting there but going back from a 7" phone to a small screen just feels like you're giving up a lot of screen real estate.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Galaxy Tab P1000 - sure you look like Dom Joly when speaking with it beside your head, but it's great for surfing the web on the go, GPS, movies etc.

Unfortunately the Galaxy Tab 2 (7") isn't much of an upgrade. I think I'll wait a while longer to see what is available... Note 2 at 5.5" is getting there but going back from a 7" phone to a small screen just feels like you're giving up a lot of screen real estate.

How can you use that thing. Was trying out the demo for a week and I thought I was going to throw the thing against the walls. Its just so slow and laggy.

That's touchwiz's problem, not the machine inherently. I got a Chinese launcher for free from marketplace (QQ Launcher) and it speeded up the UI immensely.

It's not going to run the latest video intensive games, but for surfing, gps, movies, music and what I use it for it's perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Presumably this applies to the 8X and not the 8S. I don't know how the 8S looks anything like any of the Lumia range...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Has there been a definite comment from Nokia yet? All I've seen so far is blogs speculating that they might, but none are even "quoting unnamed sources".

Am I right in thinking that the 920 and 820 do not have radios?

That puts it out of contention as my phone then :( - I really miss not having a radio in my Galaxy Tab.

Am I right in thinking that the 920 and 820 do not have radios?

That puts it out of contention as my phone then :( - I really miss not having a radio in my Galaxy Tab.
    I haven't seen it mentioned either way. All WP7 phones have radio, I'm hoping all WP8 phones will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

The one thing that makes me vary of the 920 is that there is no removable battery...yes I know that the iphone doesnt have it either but Ive got very used to changing batteries with my Nexus S so Im not sure what happens when I run out of battery in the pub at 11pm

stevenmu wrote: »
    I haven't seen it mentioned either way. All WP7 phones have radio, I'm hoping all WP8 phones will too.

I saw on GSM arena's specification list - for Lumia 920, 820, HTC 8s, 8x no radios. Samsung's Ativ S does have FM radio with RDS.

I wonder why companies take it out? Especially in my P1000 it's huge, you'd have thought they could fit a radio in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

How come nobody is interested in the Samsung Ativ S, seems like a decent phone to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Stuck on a contract, have an 800 at the moment, and love it.

The 920 should be out here in a year when its time for me to upgrade. (based on how long it took them to get the 800 and 900 here with vodafone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

How come nobody is interested in the Samsung Ativ S, seems like a decent phone to me?

Isn't it just a Galaxy S3 with WP8 loaded?
    Samsung's Ativ S does have FM radio with RDS.

I wonder why companies take it out?

I thought DAB radio is replacing FM. Why support a soon-to-be redundant technology?

Cause Samsung is a meh windows phone OEM. Where as Nokia is making all the hard work, exclusive apps, quick updates, there are more accessories available for Nokia's too compared to HTC or Samsung.

Plus Nokia phones look better in my opinion

AngryLips wrote: »

Yeah It kinda is I guess. I still prefer the look of the Ativ S to the Galaxy S3, the S3 has more rounded edges.

Can't wait to read some reviews for all these Windows phones!

• Advertisement

The Ativ is very nice, and I wouldn't be terribly unhappy to have one, but like evolutionqy7 says, the Nokia goes the extra mile in terms of value added features and functionality.

The Ativ does have an SD card slot though which is the one thing missing from the Nokia 920 (the 820 does have one though I think).

AngryLips wrote: »

I thought DAB radio is replacing FM. Why support a soon-to-be redundant technology?

Because (to my knowledge at least) no mainstream phone seems to have DAB built in? And until DAB does replace FM or phones start incorporating DAB radio receivers then FM is the only way to go for "free to air" music.

And when DAB does replace FM - people will be ready to upgrade their phones generally anyway. As in - soon to be redundant in the mobile world means the mobile will be redundant by that point too.

Currently I'm carrying a second phone, just to use as a radio. It's interesting to see that phones with FM radios built in can be cheaper than FM radios nowadays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The iPhone 5 is just a fairly unadventurous evolution of the iPhone 4S. It's a bit thinner, got a processor upgrade and a better screen. Other than that, nothing particularly exciting to report about it.

And, it smokes the competition in benchmarks.

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-performance-benchmarks-detailed-its-the-fastest-smartphone-available-today/

Not going to buy a phone just because it loads a website a couple of seconds faster :)

It doesn't really smoke the competition either. Show me all the features that it smokes it with ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

And I love how the "benchmarks" are all against Android handsets! No WP7.5 devices even. Let them re-run the "benchmarks" when the WP8 devices are available later this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

I'd just like to say even if it is €600 on release, that's still quite good as the €559-579 Galaxy S3 is 16 gb and the iPhone 5 on the three website is going to be €70 more expensive than the iphone 4s was last year - at €759 for 32gb! :eek:

Video comparison of the 920 vs iPhone 5 via engadget

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokias-lumia-920s-video-takes-iphone-5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    And I love how the "benchmarks" are all against Android handsets! No WP7.5 devices even. Let them re-run the "benchmarks" when the WP8 devices are available later this year.

There was a Lumia 900 in the javascript benchmarks.
    It didn't do very well, hopefully IE 10 will put in a better performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

Lumia 920 beats Iphone5 and all current flagships in low light shootout:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/lumia-920-low-light-shootout/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Queerdub wrote: »
    Lumia 920 beats Iphone5 and all current flagships in low light shootout:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/lumia-920-low-light-shootout/

It gets worse for the iPhone, Apple Maps independently compared to Nokia Maps , found to be “very desperately poor”

Nokia Maps 43 out of 50
    Apple Maps 24 out of 50

http://www.ukmobilereview.com/editorial/apple-maps-vs-nokia-maps-iphone-5-vs-lumia-900-showdown/#.UGHgRBL480l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

niallharty wrote: »
    I'd just like to say even if it is €600 on release, that's still quite good as the €559-579 Galaxy S3 is 16 gb and the iPhone 5 on the three website is going to be €70 more expensive than the iphone 4s was last year - at €759 for 32gb! :eek:
    One German site has it priced at €749.

http://wparea.de/2012/09/nokia-lumia-920-handytick-gibt-als-erscheinungsdatum-17-10-an/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Still a bargin compared to the iPhone 5 32GB which is priced at €930 on that site :D

Sounds about right for launch date price, I'd expect it to drop to about €600 within a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Hands on review of the 920 & 820 for those interested.

• Advertisement

http://www.tapscape.com/nokia-lumia-920-gets-uk-pre-order-pricing-may-not-be-as-cheap-as-expected/

Here's a report saying it'll be 590 euro in the UK (pre-order website).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

So looks like 600 - 650?
    Not too bad about what I expected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement