Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well when they asked me where I was located and I said Dublin they directed me to Navan, and if you look here you'll see how they have none listed for Dublin!

There is one in dublin but its not public so to speak,only nokia themselves will send you there pending reason.

Most of the work is outsourced to the likes of fonemenders or fonefix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Twitter can be extremely useful for getting attention from companies.

Start shaming them on Twitter and you'll find they'll be quick to respond.

Just a thought. Its worked for me with my insurance company and cable tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

InTheTrees wrote: »

Don't know how many times I wrote crap via email, Facebook or Twitter. Most seem to ignore 90% of bad tweets and reply to all the easy queries and only retweet the good stuff.

Unless it's a dedicated support account on twitter it will get nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 buff_alo

There is a nokia centre in newbridge aswell

Agreed but only with companies that have an actual social media team,nokia ireland on twitter are shy to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

My experience with the nokia centre has been less great and it's been dragging on for quite a while. I'm going to take this to PM if you don't mind as I don't fancy naming which nokia centre in Dublin I used as I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble.
    If you got a dodgy phone, I don't see why you can't just bring it back to the shop where you bought it and get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Androidlovers

I have Nokia Lumia 920 just purchased two weeks back.I love this phone,If you are fond of window games you will get them here.

Nokia lumia storage check beta now available

Lumia Storage Check beta can be used to show a detailed breakdown of the phone memory usage and do something about it. The app shows you an overview and details on the second page, including space taken by:

Apps - with app data included and sorted by size on further detail page
    NEW: Maps - you can now manage maps from here and store them on SD card if your device has one
    Temporary files - temp files created by the system, some of which can be deleted with the
    Photos
    Music
    NEW: Videos shown separately
    Office docs (including OneNote notebooks, copies of docs accessed from SharePoint and SkyDrive)
    Email+contacts
    Ringtones
    System (fixed, usually 1.9 GB)
    Other (this includes stuff that user has little control over)

get it here http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/store/app/lumia-storage-check-beta/c2adc981-83c2-4f19-8161-67149e44214c?appid=c2adc981-83c2-4f19-8161-67149e44214c&signin=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So one of my US colleagues has taken a fancy to our Samsung Ativ S phones and we have agreed they can keep one they borrowed as it's not on their agreement over there.

In return they've given me a brand new AT&T Lumia 920 that's locked to that network (unfortunately!) but I plan to use it myself and reassign my own Ativ S to someone else.

Reading online it seems that AT&T have an exclusivity agreement with Nokia until May and won't issue unlock codes until then.

I can probably just wait a few weeks and then push them for the code but is there any other way to get it? - ie: has anyone managed to get working unlock codes from any of the sites that offer such things.

I'm guessing my provider here won't be able to get the code from Nokia themselves right?

Any advice appreciated.. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you can't wait, you'll just have to pay to get it unlocked.

http://www.cellunlock.net/Unlock_AT_T_Nokia_Lumia_920_p/unlockattn920.htm

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    So one of my US colleagues has taken a fancy to our Samsung Ativ S phones and we have agreed they can keep one they borrowed as it's not on their agreement over there.

In return they've given me a brand new AT&T Lumia 920 that's locked to that network (unfortunately!) but I plan to use it myself and reassign my own Ativ S to someone else.

Reading online it seems that AT&T have an exclusivity agreement with Nokia until May and won't issue unlock codes until then.

I can probably just wait a few weeks and then push them for the code but is there any other way to get it? - ie: has anyone managed to get working unlock codes from any of the sites that offer such things.

I'm guessing my provider here won't be able to get the code from Nokia themselves right?

Any advice appreciated.. Cheers

No network here will touch it!Not their phone.
    There is advertisers on done deal and adverts stating they can unlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If you can't wait, you'll just have to pay to get it unlocked.

http://www.cellunlock.net/Unlock_AT_T_Nokia_Lumia_920_p/unlockattn920.htm

Just to update...

Used this site and got a code exactly 10 working days later. Worked first time and it's now happily using my work SIM.

Are these easy to debrand? There's not too much AT&T stuff on it (uninstalled most of it anyway), but will it still get updates now it's not on their network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, the debrand is easy enough. You need two tools, I forget the name of them now - one is a Nokia internal diagnostic tool which lets you screw with the device. The second is a custom program that lets you download any localised or branded version of the firmware for any Lumia device.

Edit: Here you go. it's for the 800 but should be valid for the 920
    http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/giffgaff-Top-Tips/HOWTO-Debrand-your-Nokia-Lumia-800-Giffgaffers-guide/td-p/2891451

I debranded an 800 using this guide, the software is safe and legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Can any owners please give me a quick rundown of pros and cons and any potential problems with this phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Haven't seen any threads/posts on the 925 yet - anyone any thoughts on it? Pretty much the same phone just with metal / little slimmer / less storage?

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    Haven't seen any threads/posts on the 925 yet - anyone any thoughts on it? Pretty much the same phone just with metal / little slimmer / less storage?

Nailed it there.

Only real differences is the actual body itself. They added an extra lens to the camera for better quality and improved the software algorithms that will be coming to the 920 as well with a software update.

Couple of Negatives though
    • 16GB and no expansion slot vs 32GB on 920
    • Wireless charging requires a snap on case vs 920 having that built in
    • No more nice colors :( Only Black, White and Gray

Pro's
    • Slightly better camera
    • Slimmer chassis, wont comment on the looks :)

Could have made it a really great viable if they added a bloody MicroSD slot or at least 32GB as standard :(
    If your big on apps and games 16GB (probably about 10GB usable) will run out in a space of mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Just got my 920 today after a lonnnnnggg wait. It's like the 800 only bigger. Haven't done much with it yet. It's bloody huge though

Dammit I scratched my screen. very small and it only really shows in sunlight...

Maybe it wont be sunny every again?

Its annoying though. The 920 is so rugged I was starting to treat it pretty hard so its really my fault.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dammit I scratched my screen. very small and it only really shows in sunlight...

Maybe it wont be sunny every again?

Its annoying though. The 920 is so rugged I was starting to treat it pretty hard so its really my fault.

It's Ireland, worst case scenario you'll only notice it about 15 minutes every year. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Nailed it there.

Only real differences is the actual body itself. They added an extra lens to the camera for better quality and improved the software algorithms that will be coming to the 920 as well with a software update.

Couple of Negatives though
    • 16GB and no expansion slot vs 32GB on 920
    • Wireless charging requires a snap on case vs 920 having that built in
    • No more nice colors :( Only Black, White and Gray

Pro's
    • Slightly better camera
    • Slimmer chassis, wont comment on the looks :)

Could have made it a really great viable if they added a bloody MicroSD slot or at least 32GB as standard :(
    If your big on apps and games 16GB (probably about 10GB usable) will run out in a space of mins.

Did I read somewhere that Vodafone are sticking with the 32Gb version?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm real happy with the L925's announcement, I get upgrade lust and the L925 has quelled that this time around. Seems like a good phone and may appeal to some but i'd rather the L920, if only for the built-in wireless charger which is ever so convenient.

liamog wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that Vodafone are sticking with the 32Gb version?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatItAllAbout

Hi Guys,

Just my own personal experience with the lumia 920. I bought mine on craigslist in USA for less than $300 in Jan 2013.
    Phone was tied to AT&T because of exclusivity deal which I realized after :)
    Kept phone and used it in mean time as much as could for browsing internet and Sat Nav.
    Couple of weeks ago since the exclusivity 6 months were up, I just rang the AT&T international number, gave them the IMEI number and they told me the unlock code, didn't cost anything and only took 5 mins!

Issues I have experienced since using it on my network (Meteor), constant re booting and re starting during calls >.<
    I have been trouble shooting the issue (e.g. removed apps like Skype and facebook, as read these can cause issue) but no good.
    Then read about the turning off of LTE which also seems to be a root to this problem.
    Again I am snookered a bit because I did not buy European phone which has a setting to set 3G and 4G.

Now as it stands, what I did was search my network options and two show up for Meteor. Both Say Meteor 4G.
    I am currently trying it on the one which shows the triangle at the top as discussed earlier in this thread.
    I feel this could sort my issue. My signal seems to be full bars now and no disconnect from phone calls since.
    Its very early days yet testing this fix but I will keep ye posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

Is the phone running GDR1, Which resolved the rebooting issue

Not really sure how to find that out?

Here is the phone information however:
    Name: Windows Phone
    Model: NOKIA Lumia 920
    Carrier: AT&T
    Software: Windows Phone 8.0
    Screen resolution: 768 X 1280

OS version: 8.0.10211.204
    Firmware revision number: 1232.5962.1314.0001
    Hardware revision number: 1.0.0.0
    Radio software version: 1.0.20209MT.3
    Chip SOC version: 8960

I'm real happy with the L925's announcement, I get upgrade lust and the L925 has quelled that this time around. Seems like a good phone and may appeal to some but i'd rather the L920, if only for the built-in wireless charger which is ever so convenient.

Ive had some time with the 925 and i was impressed with its camera,there will be charging shells available and they fit so snug you would not know its on the phone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Ive had some time with the 925 and i was impressed with its camera,there will be charging shells available and they fit so snug you would not know its on the phone.

That's cool, not a huge fan of cases on phones but at least there's a good option. Do the cases take away from its style much?

That's cool, not a huge fan of cases on phones but at least there's a good option. Do the cases take away from its style much?

Nope you hardly feel it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Is that the device you've been using jimmy!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

How's the new FB app?

• Advertisement

How's the new FB app?
    Works well, much better than the last one!

Is that the device you've been using jimmy!?

No i had one for a few hours hoping to have one within the next two weeks.

It will be july or august before it retails here!Other than that it will be available via the usual channels .I do know some stockist who will be carrying it but cant say just now.

Ah I was just wondering about the Data Sense app since it was showing up and its availability!

Ah I was just wondering about the Data Sense app since it was showing up and its availability!

It will be available in an update on sim free devices,or if your phone is locked it will be carrier dependent.

Just seems to be taking a ridiculously long time for it to be made available to everyone!

Just seems to be taking a ridiculously long time for it to be made available to everyone!

True its a handy app to have.:D

Ok update, What I said before about selecting network manually seems to have a side effect of the wifi not being able to connect.
    I switched back to automatic network again, and I have had the re booting problem again during calls.
    I have noticed the phone re booting on its own when I am not using it as well though.
    Starting to think I should have just bought the phone in Europe.
    Anyone buy the phone in Europe and experience same problems as me?

So my screen just shattered...so much for the Gorilla Glass!!

So my screen just shattered...so much for the Gorilla Glass!!

How much does it cost to replace?

Can they do it at the ATT store?

I scratched mine. Its annoying.

• Advertisement

Looking at €120+ going on prices I was previously quoted.... Although those varied from €120-200, all with Nokia Care Centres. Can't say I remember the way ATT do their repairs but pretty sure it's not in store!

Said screen....

BL3TscvCQAAeAqE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Did all that happen from one drop/brake?

Hard to make out from the picture, the LCD is ok?

Dropped it a couple of weeks ago, but it only marked the casing and the slightest chip/mark on the top left of the screen, just below the signal bars, seems to be where it has all stemmed from now! Took it out of my pocket and was like this! Wouldn't mind if it was easy to get fixed but it's going to be a pain finding somewhere with stock and convenient, price is also so high considering how much cheaper it is for other smart phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dropped it a couple of weeks ago, but it only marked the casing and the slightest chip/mark on the top left of the screen, just below the signal bars, seems to be where it has all stemmed from now! Took it out of my pocket and was like this! Wouldn't mind if it was easy to get fixed but it's going to be a pain finding somewhere with stock and convenient, price is also so high considering how much cheaper it is for other smart phones.

It's not to bad of a fix, not as easy as the earlier lumia models but doable for someone with a bit of care. If you want to make it easy change the LCD and glass, would save some messing, changing the glass on its own creates more work and more problems with dust on reassembly. €120 wouldn't be a bad price for parts and labour

For the prices I've seen for the replacement screen it is def worth getting it done for €120! I've changed screens on other phone's I've had but they were all,reasonable priced!

Awww so that is what my phone will look like once I bounce it off the wall next time it automatically re boots during a call :(

• Advertisement

Anyone with a sim free920 CHECK FOR AMBER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Picking it up now. Wayhey &#55357;&#56842;

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Downloading here too :)

where can I get the old nokia message tone, I'd gotten used to that :P

This was definitely the longest Nokia update I've ever had to do, seemed to go on and on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement