Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any bricks and mortar strores here stock 920 accessories?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Dcully wrote: »
    Any bricks and mortar strores here stock 920 accessories?

What are you looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I've been looking at this phone and was wondering about the weight of the device because most reviews talk about it being heavy.

How heavy is it, in practical terms? For reference I'd be moving from a 3GS.

Also, if choosing between this and a Lumia 925, is it worth going for the 925 (considering the 920 is almost 40% cheaper).

Last question was about battery - what's the battery life like in real works usage (few texts, music, web use and maybe a game or two).

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I've been looking at this phone and was wondering about the weight of the device because most reviews talk about it being heavy.

Also, if choosing between this and a Lumia 925, is it worth going for the 925 (considering the 920 is almost 40% cheaper).

Last question was about battery - what's the battery life like in real works usage (few texts, music, web use and maybe a game or two).

Thanks.

It's heavier than most phones, but bear in mind that we're talking in the order of grams, not kilos. Compared to the 3GS it's going to feel bigger and heavier, but in a more substantial way rather than in a too-bulky way.
    Battery-wise, I use mine pretty heavily and I would have some battery left about 99% of the time. Then I just throw it on the wireless charger :D (seriously, once you go wireless you'll never want to go back)
    Personally I prefer the design on the 920 over the 925, but coming from an iPhone background, it may be less of a change in form for you if you went for the 925.

PaulieC wrote: »
    It's heavier than most phones, but bear in mind that we're talking in the order of grams, not kilos. Compared to the 3GS it's going to feel bigger and heavier, but in a more substantial way rather than in a too-bulky way.
    Battery-wise, I use mine pretty heavily and I would have some battery left about 99% of the time. Then I just throw it on the wireless charger :D (seriously, once you go wireless you'll never want to go back)
    Personally I prefer the design on the 920 over the 925, but coming from an iPhone background, it may be less of a change in form for you if you went for the 925.

Great stuff, thanks. Very tempted :)

• Advertisement

Reati wrote: »
    What are you looking for?

Cover and maybe screen protector,the CC-1043 cover looks good but seems to come in every colour except white which my 920 is :(
    Id like to physically try out other ones if possible.Also an item that costs €10 on amazon wil cost about €25 after shipping.

Thanks.

I dont find it heavy at all,im just back from a 40k cycle with my 920 sitting in my shoulder pocket of my cycling jacket,you wouldnt even notice it there apart from the lady on endomondo app telling me my times per kilometre :P
    Seriously its not too heavy, it just oozes quality and class :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

If the 920 is 40% cheaper than the 925 I'd get the 920

Just got amber update when i installed nokia pro cam app but battery went from 70% to 25% just from the update is this normal?
    Updated via wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just got amber update when i installed nokia pro cam app but battery went from 70% to 25% just from the update is this normal?
    Updated via wifi.
    Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

Did you get the update from O2 still waiting on my 920

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Yup

Does battery life resume as normal after the update?

@simi956 Im with emobile but its an unlocked phone, i got no prompt for it until i tried to install nokia pro cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Updated via wifi.

Have you every updated any electronic device? You will always be advised to have a full battery due to the power consumption involved.

Yes of course, obviously after you charge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

@simi956 Im with emobile but its an unlocked phone, i got no prompt for it until i tried to install nokia pro cam.

Yes there is always a loss of battery during an update.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Have you every updated any electronic device? You will always be advised to have a full battery due to the power consumption involved.

LOL

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    No need for that type of reply. And most battery powered devices recommend that they are plugged into the mains before updating.
    Did it hurt your feelings?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

What a nice person you appear to be :P

What a nice person you appear to be :P
    Sorry having a bad day, but don't think there's a need for that, smiley faces don't hide the intent behind it!

Sorry having a bad day, but don't think there's a need for that, smiley faces don't hide the intent behind it!

Thats rich after you said this to me.

Thats rich after you said this to me.
    I asked you a question and then explained that all devices will use a lot of power when updating. The fact it uses a lot of power would mean that it would return to normal after it being charged!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The intent was to be lighthearted about your really poor form, sorry you're having a bad but that's entirely your problem and you shouldn't be taking it out on others.

The intent was to be lighthearted about your really poor form, sorry you're having a bad but that's entirely your problem and you shouldn't be taking it out on others.
    It really wasn't taking it out on anyone, I replied to a question with an accurate answer and replied to the follow up question with the completely obvious and once again acurate answer. Not my fault if people are overly sensitive to seeing other people's posts being answered correctly and straight to the point.

Yeah i had a brain freeze and should have realized the obvious, but its a brand new device and i was concerned it may not be normal for this phone.

Anyways just drop it pls,its ruining an otherwise fine thread.

Oh the irony since it was you and others who made an issue of it and as such started 'ruining' a fine thread!

Anyway back to the phone, new case ordered as I dropped mine in work the other day, landed on the top left corner and put it out of shape. I'll post some before and after photos when I get it and install it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,745 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Work issued 920 still hasn't got any update from GDR1 - O2 Ireland branded and locked. Has there been anything at all approved for those since?

According to the Nokia site here you should be able to get it. May have to bring it to a care point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Lumia 920 unlocked €260~ delivered @ Tesco UK

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057042150

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

long_b wrote: »
    Lumia 920 unlocked €260~ delivered @ Tesco UK

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057042150

amazon have price matched now also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Looks like they're only price-matching on the black model. Yellow, red and white are also down to £220 on the Tesco site.

• Advertisement

penguin88 wrote: »
    Looks like they're only price-matching on the black model. Yellow, red and white are also down to £220 on the Tesco site.
    They're price matching, but it ships in 3-5 weeks (estimated 13-28 October!)

Jaws looking at twitter and see this tweet from Nokia:
    @nokia wrote:

Straight away thought to myself bet that's our very own Jimmy, opened the link and as soon as I saw the picture knew it had to be him without even reading the text. Fair play dude!

I assumed Jimmy was a Nokia employee, but the fact that he's not make it more amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Can anyone tell me is the 920 4G capable?

Yes, it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

I think this may have been previously posted but can't find it. How do i stop my phone from putting a default +44 in front of any numbers i dial? I've been working around by including the +353 if its not in my phonebook (those entries all have country code) but that doesn't work with freephone numbers! Is it linked to the UK keyboard?
    Also, if i switch to US keyboard so that .com is the default website ending will it then start correcting my spelling with z's!?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Colmrenault

Go to settings, applications, phone and scroll down to international assist, turn that off.

Go to settings, applications, phone and scroll down to international assist, turn that off.
    nice one thanks, forgot that second menu was there to the right in settings

Ya it's not that obvious there alright.

Sorry if this,was discussed already. Apparently Vodafone will be turning on there 4G network in a matter of weeks. Will we have to wait for the next firmware update from Nokia to get that enabled? I wound imagine when Vodafone are testing the software they will tell Nokia to add in 4g in the list of network speeds on the phone. (lumia 920)

Sorry if this,was discussed already. Apparently Vodafone will be turning on there 4G network in a matter of weeks. Will we have to wait for the next firmware update from Nokia to get that enabled? I wound imagine when Vodafone are testing the software they will tell Nokia to add in 4g in the list of network speeds on the phone. (lumia 920)
    Answer is basically 5 posts above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Answer is basically 5 posts above!

i seem to remember though that some lte-capable Lumias required a firmware update when the various US networks switched on their LTE in the last year, this might be the same over here? Admittedly a sim free device is more likely to be ready out of the box, but i wouldn't rule out an update being needed for branded devices.

AFAIK it's included in Amber, it's a selectable option in my settings!

So what's H+ for data speed then. I seem to be getting that on/off - it's not equivalent of 4G is it? (I'm on VF)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

H+ is HSDPA (amazing what a google search throws up eh?). It's faster than 3G (3.5G) but not 4G (LTE).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Hi,
    Quick question Re: the nokia charging pads for any of you who imported one.

Was over in the US last month and bought one. To use it here, do you have to get a new plug, or will it work if I just got a US to UK adapter?

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Hi,
    Quick question Re: the nokia charging pads for any of you who imported one.

Was over in the US last month and bought one. To use it here, do you have to get a new plug, or will it work if I just got a US to UK adapter?

you will need an adaptor. The 'plug' is actually the transformer/charger so it can't be replaced. It's listed as 100 - 240 V AC, 50-60 Hz so all you will need is an adapter. Be warned though that the plug-in unit is quite big, so, coupled with an adapter, it will probably need to be supported if plugged into a wall socket to avoid it falling out

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatItAllAbout

Yeah it will work with adapter but make sure to turn it the right way up, Not that happened to me or anything >.> :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

This is what I don't understand about wireless charging.

It's not really wireless at all, is it?

It's wireless because you don't plug your phone in to charge it, just place it down on the plate. It's hardly rocket surgery to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭circadian

Nice one, rocket surgery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement