Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

TBi wrote: »
    I used a HTC Trophy for over a year (running WP7.5) and had a very different experience than you. Very happy with windows phone and from all accounts WP8 is better.

So i guess i know what i'm talking about too...
    My wife has a Lumia 800 that she picked up for £140. She pretty much uses it for calls, texts, Facebook and Whatsapp. She's getting exactly what she needs at a great price point. I think the budget WP devices are actually a decent proposition for a decent proportion of the market (ie, people like my wife). However, if you're looking at spending about €600 for your phone, the chances are that you'll be looking for a lot more than just using Facebook and Whatsapp. I think in that regard, WP falls behind the competitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well can you give me a list of what well known apps that are not available in the Marketplace?!

Off the top of my head....

Sky Go
    Sky+
    Instagram
    Spotify
    BBC iPlayer
    Bad Piggies
    Betfair
    Racing Post
    Swift Key
    Mint
    Gumtree
    TV CatchUp

Oh, mobile banking apps are another big gap!

Flipboard is another one, now that I think of it.

• Advertisement

Sky Go
    Sky+
    Instagram
    Spotify
    BBC iPlayer
    Bad Piggies
    Betfair
    Racing Post
    Swift Key
    Mint
    Gumtree
    TV CatchUp
    Sky isn't even available for all Android devices
    Why anybody would want to use Instagram to ruin photos is beyond me
    Spotify was released and then pulled to get fixed, but why do you want that when you have the completely free Nokia Music on the device
    Lack of banking apps is a pain but they'll come
    As for everything else you've listed there, they are very user specific and not main cross platform apps that everyone would be looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Flipboard is another one, now that I think of it.

Flipboard is been developed for windows phone 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Specific apps are personal preference really. I have none of those apps installed on my iPhone, so the lack of such wouldn't put me off WP.

There are few if any specific apps that I would consider "essential" on a platform since they're virtually all available via a web browser. Most of the essential apps on my phone are the built-in ones. Whatsapp would probably be the only non-standard app I can think of that I "need".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Is fotmob available for wp?
    That's the app I'd use most of the time along with pocket casts and filmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ronan675

Sky Go
    Sky+
    Instagram
    Spotify
    BBC iPlayer
    Bad Piggies
    Betfair
    Racing Post
    Swift Key
    Mint
    Gumtree
    TV CatchUp

I believe the app situation will improve drastically over the coming year. There is huge developer interest in Windows 8 desktop / tablets at the moment. Microsoft still owns the desktop space and as the developers get used to developing on Windows 8 they will discover a Windows 8 app can very easily be ported to Windows Phone 8 due to the shared kernel and API's.

This was not the case with Windows Phone 7.5. Developing an APP for WP 7.5 meant you were targeting Windows Phones only. MS are in the phone game for the foreseeable future. They have stated this many times. It's a 5 year+ project for them to gain market share and I think the unification of the whole Microsoft ecosystem will help a lot. Metro is now on Windows Desktop, Windows RT (Tablet), Xbox, Office, Sharepoint etc... People will get used to seeing the tiled interface and it will become very familiar.

Just my two cents. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ronan675 wrote: »
    I believe the app situation will improve drastically over the coming year.

Yup. I had an iphone back at the start and it as the same kind of thing. More and more will gradually appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

TBi wrote: »

I'd agree iPhone is a fantastic phone but not everyone wants one or is techy enough to support an android phone. Windows phone is a fantastic alternative.

I wouldn't really consider Android techie. It's extremely user friendly and simple to use unless you're hacking it with custom ROMs or something.

An unmodified Android phone is slick, simple and very easy to use.

You've the option of rooting and modifying your phone, but 99% of users are not likely to do that.

I remain very unconvinced that Windows Mobile 8 will bring enough developers on board. Just because Windows dominates the desktop doesn't necessarily mean that dominance will translate to mobiles and tablets.

Google and Apple have enormous lead in the market. I think honestly MS is 5 years too late.

Nokia should have gone with Android. It would be shifting tons of phones by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

InTheTrees wrote: »

Yup. I had an iphone back at the start and it as the same kind of thing. More and more will gradually appear.

Same as, feb 2008. No App Store to be seen, crazy now. WP marketplace is improving constantly, regardless of Microsoft paying devs, if the bigger apps are seen then more will be inclined to buy in and then more devs will come online. Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Solair wrote: »
    I think honestly MS is 5 years too late.

Nokia should have gone with Android. It would be shifting tons of phones by now.

And compete with all the trash that pollutes the market ? Seriously ? Outside of Samsung, all android vendors are selling interchangeable pieces of crap. And that's being kind to Samsung. For quality, only Nokia and apple will do. Everything else is lower standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

And compete with all the trash that pollutes the market ? Seriously ? Outside of Samsung, all android vendors are selling interchangeable pieces of crap. And that's being kind to Samsung. For quality, only Nokia and apple will do. Everything else is lower standard

That's a bit unfair on HTC, Motorola & Sony in particular!

A lot of people won't distinguish Win Phone 8 devices either. Nokia has just joined the OEM market with the move but opted for a really minority OS.

Apple control every last detail of the iPhone. Nokia could have done that with Maemo.

I don't really rate Nokia as a GUI designer though. Their Symbian high end phones had truly awful interfaces.

My N900 didn't impress me in terms of build quality or design. It was then abandoned by Nokia.

Symbian Belle isn't too bad but it's largely a rip off of the Android GUI from what I can see.

I seriously think Nokia is on its way out of the smartphone market with this stuff. It's just not mainstream, it's vastly over priced and it is using a bland, non Nokia OS that hardly anybody seems to be using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

I seriously think Nokia is on its way out of the smartphone market with this stuff. It's just not mainstream, it's vastly over priced and it is using a bland, non Nokia OS that hardly anybody seems to be using.

Don't think so - possibly sold to MS but I
    Think they're too exspensive
    I reckon their share price will climb this year
    They were close to going alright and still might but this latest win8 combination is incredible. I mean as an OS it's hands down better than iOS - I can't say android as I have only minor experience.
    I don't know where you're getting bland from? I mean from what I've seen I'd say Android and iOS could certainly be described as bland but windows8 is not bland by comparison it's the opposite.

Nokia reported a record (based on last few years) last quarter last year
    Some polls are suggesting that buyers want a windows device as their Next phone

Apple - 21%
    Windows - 23%
    Android - 41%
    Source - PC PRO

It's slow take up of the lumia I believe because the 700/800/900 series didn't really do anything - this time around its different - by the the next iteration they'll be a serious contender - if they're still here!

Having played with the phone for a weekend I know it's my next phone,
    The screen alone is almost enough to justify but I just love the email and calendars on it compared to my iPhone and
    cannot wait to have an iTunes free life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Having played with the phone for a weekend I know it's my next phone,
    The screen alone is almost enough to justify but I just love the email and calendars on it compared to my iPhone and
    cannot wait to have an iTunes free life.
    It all depends what you're coming from and expect though..

If coming from an iPhone then yes, all the above is probably true.

If coming from an Android though then both WP8 and IOS are dead in the water. I have a Galaxy Note 2 (Android JellyBean) and a Ativ S (WP8) sitting in front of me...

Yes the GUI on the WP is cleaner and easier to get around than 3-7 homescreens of icons and widgets - but I like neat so that's why I use Launcher7/8 on the Note 2

Email/Calendar on WP is far far behind even the stock Android versions though on my opinion, never mind the 3rd party apps like Kaiten mail

Cameras are never a big concern for me so I haven't compared. If it's "ok" it'll do me. If I was that much into photography I'd probably just buy a proper camera.

Apps: Much improved with WP8 (as we are currently migrating from WP7 as I mentioned previously). Has most of what I need.. Whatsapp, IM, browser (though I don't like IE - chrome on Desktop, Dolphin on Droid), TuneIn etc.. Missing (taken from my SGN2 list) is the AIB banking app, Boards/Adverts, Fotmob ... if Windows 8 desktop/tablet takes off though (still questionable IMO) then this will likely improve alright

The main thing that bugs me about WP though - the lack of options/customisation. If you're coming from iPhones this probably won't bother you or you'll think you're in heaven, but as someone who knows his tech and has owned and rooted/ROM'd several Androids at this stage I find things missing on WP that I'd take for granted at this stage (proper notification bar/menu, abillity to change the god-awful WP keyboard, full UI customisation etc)

All that said, this new Ativ S is nice! If they could just address some more of the above - and make a Note 2 sized WP - I'd seriously think about moving when it comes time to switch phones again (which with me is usually once a year or less)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The GoPro Hero app is the only app missing for me but its coming out next month! I can't wait :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    The main thing that bugs me about WP though - the lack of options/customisation. If you're coming from iPhones this probably won't bother you or you'll think you're in heaven, but as someone who knows his tech and has owned and rooted/ROM'd several Androids at this stage I find things missing on WP that I'd take for granted at this stage (proper notification bar/menu, abillity to change the god-awful WP keyboard, full UI customisation etc)

Great post, I'm surprised at the comment on the keyboard though, I find the WP keyboard to be one of the easiest to use. The thing they do where the hit size changes subtly based on predictive text gives me a really good experience, then again I've never tried the Swype type keyboards. There is only one thing I've thought needed to be fixed and that is the .com button, when I've typed the first dot it should figure out that it only needs to add com instead of .com

Picked up mine this morning and so far, even though it's only a couple of hours I'm very happy with it, very fast and smooth'

• Advertisement

So, going by Nokia on Twitter and Facebook we should be seeing some mention of them on carrier websites here starting today. If anyone stumbles across anything, a heads up would be great.

@kmart6 - where and how much?

handtec.co.uk and it was €620 delivered, but I used Parcel Motel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

Vodafone forum comments suggest 23/01/2012 and business customers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Hesht

I got mine today, €490 unlocked from the UK on ebay, works perfectly and brand new.

Link to seller?!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

g0g wrote: »
    Vodafone forum comments suggest 23/01/2012 and business customers only.

That was my comment... Yeah, will see how today plays out :/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The 820 is available on their site, as tempting as it is, I must wait. Nokia would be fools to let a network release the 920 on a business only basis. Then again given how I suspect they forgot Ireland wasn't part of the UK when they did the exclusive deal with EE then I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

• Advertisement

Cheapest I've seen anywhere on the Irish stores:
    PhonesOnline.ie and Expansy.ie.

Advertisement