Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Looks like I'll be saving for a while if it's €600-650, looks to be a gorgeous phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just wish there was a 64gb version or there was a memory card slot. Would get rid of my 4S in a heartbeat if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Seems too expensive to me. They need to be cheaper than the base iPhone and S3 to make an impact.

I thought they'd be around the price of the S3 if not a bit cheaper to try and compete and get people to switch to WP.
    Agree with this. Why would you spend that kind of cash on a largely unknown and unproven os when you can get any number of Androids or an iPhone for the same amount or cheaper?

If MS / Nokia plan to make any serious gains in market share they need to be pitching these at cheaper than the established competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Agree with this. Why would you spend that kind of cash on a largely unknown and unproven OS when you can get any number of Androids or an iPhone for the same amount or cheaper?

If MS / Nokia plan to make any serious gains in market share they need to be pitching these at cheaper than the established competition.

I think 820 is supposed to do that for them. I presume they will launch 610,710 successors that will continue penetrating the lower end of the market. I think the 610 was quite a good seller. It was free on all contracts so people liked that, gives people a chance to try out WP7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think 820 is supposed to do that for them. I presume they will launch 610,710 successors that will continue penetrating the lower end of the market. I think the 610 was quite a good seller. It was free on all contracts so people liked that, gives people a chance to try out WP7

Yea but at the high-end things are a bit different.

Whatever about the low "throwaway" end of the market, if I was spending €600 on a phone I'd be very hesitant to take the plunge on an unknown. I have a WP7 phone for work and I still feel it's not ready.. that said I'm comparing to an Android not an iPhone so I expect a lot more functionality and customisation than either of these other 2 platforms offer.

However, if MS sort out the Win 8 issues (I fully expect the Start Menu to return post-release myself, although I know 3rd party solutions are already there) then the idea of having a combined/seamless link-up between my laptop, desktop and phone DOES certainly appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

€600 is too much for me. I expect the 820 will be around the €470 mark, so I'll see what I can get that for as an upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Official pricing from Nokia Germany:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151032439860728&set=a.90954945727.96189.39262975727&type=1&permPage=1

€649 for the 920
    €499 for the 820

Kinda what I was expecting, and is still cheaper than the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Official pricing from Nokia Germany:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151032439860728&set=a.90954945727.96189.39262975727&type=1&permPage=1

€649 for the 920
    €499 for the 820

Kinda what I was expecting, and is still cheaper than the iPhone.

650eu for 920... ouch

looks like i wont be getting it this year so :(. i payed for brand new 3gs 550eu back then, if lumia would be around 550eu i would consider getting it on launch. 650eu a bit steep for me. ( i know 100eu is not that much of a diference, but still... )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

UK retailer taking pre-orders at £470.
    That article is not up to date though, stock is now not due until 05/11/2012

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Quite looking forward to this phone, just gotta get some hands on time and to pick a colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

nokia took huge plunge this year with stocks decreasing,also no more phones from Finland and late release date,So far i love my nokia n8,but when it comes to 920 new os and late release date with price similar to Samsung or apple Id expect something hard built like n8 shell,not plastic cover with couple different colors.But everyone to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Somehow, I think despite all the hype that it launched with, this is going to flop.
    The price is just too high for a phone that doesn't run Android.

I'd buy a Win 8 phone, if it were cheaper, but I am not paying that kind of money for a phone that does not have access to the whole range of apps that Android and iPhone have.

At the end of the day, you're really buying into an app eco system.

I bought into Android instead of iPhone because the handsets were considerably cheaper in the earlier days of Android. Now, the likes of the Galaxy S3 etc are serious iPhone competitors.

I'm not going to pay premium prices for a new OS.

It would be like paying the same price as a regular laptop for a Chromebook.

In fact, I am almost tempted to budget and pick up a slightly non-cutting edge Android like maybe the Galaxy Nexus. Raw android and first firmware updates appeals to me and samsung's UI tweaks aren't great and the prices online are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

scamalert wrote: »
    nokia took huge plunge this year with stocks decreasing,also no more phones from Finland and late release date,So far i love my nokia n8,but when it comes to 920 new os and late release date with price similar to Samsung or apple Id expect something hard built like n8 shell,not plastic cover with couple different colors.But everyone to their own.

It's not having a "late release date".
    Don't knock Windows Phone 8 until you try it, plus haven't you read reviews of Windows Phone which say it's a lot better than the other OSes in many respects?
    Plastic cover? There's no cover, the 920 is a unibody phone, the most well-designed on the market...
    Hard built? You can't get harder than the fighter jet material used in the Lumias...like seriously, what hole did you just surface from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Solair wrote: »
    Somehow, I think despite all the hype that it launched with, this is going to flop.

I'd buy a Win 8 phone, if it were cheaper, but I am not paying that kind of money for a phone that does not have access to the whole range of apps that Android and iPhone have.

I bought into Android instead of iPhone because the handsets were considerably cheaper in the earlier days of Android. Now, the likes of the Galaxy S3 etc are serious iPhone competitors.

thats my thought that the price might kill the phone,plus late release date.But on the other hand nokia hi end phones were never about OS its about built quality and hardware put in to it,example gps navigation on n8 is far best that ive seen that phone company made,camera 12mp not to mention that the phone is over a good year out,plus readio streaming and other little things like easy to plug to pc and many apps that you could find on another phone.Yeah it doesnt compare to thousands of app or android store adds but most of them are useless or one time use.In my opinion the huge downfall was that many people who never used nokias before,got shocked with symbian os as its so detailed that to find a function its like browsing trough half the phones settings.where apple and samsung filled that gap with a press of a button or two.

Solair wrote: »

In fact, I am almost tempted to budget and pick up a slightly non-cutting edge Android like maybe the Galaxy Nexus. Raw android and first firmware updates appeals to me and samsung's UI tweaks aren't great.

Yes the ecosystem matters, which is why there are cheaper Lumias like the 610 which building Windows Phone market share to the 10% mark in Italy and Brazil for example. But the whole app thing is blown out of proportion. I have an iphone and the amount of apps I'd use are minimal. Apps are terribly designed too compared to those on Windows Phone.

But come on. Supersensitive HD+ screen - better than anything else out there -, Pureview camera with floating lens and innovative low light and optical image stabilisation performance that has been shown to beat all the top end phones including the iphone5, brilliant unibody build and design with great colours, Snapdragon 4 dual core processor which will work best with WP8 and the 2000 mAh battery, all the Nokia apps and services that Nokia gives you (Nokia Maps and Nokia Music are not to be sniffed at) and is developing and exclusive apps that Nokia is bringing to their phones first before releasing to the Windows Phone Store....

All in all you a Lumia 920 is arguably a much better phone than any Android or iphone out there, even taking on board the app question.

scamalert wrote: »

Your right about most stuff there and I'm not a Nokia fan boy but the S3 is the exact same material as the 920, polycarbonate and the iPhone 4 is surrounded in glass which cracks at the slightest drop. Anyway comparing the build quality of an unreleased phone vs released phones is a bit silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Had an iPhone 4s and didn't like it.

Have a Lumia 800 and love it.

Some of it comes down to personal choice. I don't bash iPhone/Android but I don't like using them. Others will have a right oul lash at Lumia's (probably without ever using one).

The lumia with WP7 works well for me so I reclon I will go again on a 820 or maybe even a 920 if I can justify the extra cost -v- features.

• Advertisement

Anyway comparing the build quality of an unreleased phone vs released phones is a bit silly.

If its as good as the Lumia 800 there's no looking back :)

Lumia 800 might had its software issues in the start, but in terms of build quality its hard to match it. It feels so solid in the hand. The only phone that ever comes to that sort of build quality I think is Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

If its as good as the Lumia 800 there's no looking back :)

Lumia 800 might had its software issues in the start, but in terms of build quality its hard to match it. It feels so solid in the hand. The only phone that ever comes to that sort of build quality I think is Apple.

+1, also In all the reviews of the 800 they said the build quality, look and feel of the phone was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Looks like Microsoft might not be so happy with Nokia promoting the Lumia brand over the Windows Phone brand:

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-does-indeed-have-their-own-windows-phone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Those concept renders look really nice. If they're going to do this though they'll need more of a hook than just a nice looking phone. There does seem to be a lot of secrecy around WP8, with these rumours now as well, I'm starting to get a bit excited and think they might have something really special up their sleeves. Even though I know I always end up disappointed when I start thinking that.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Even though I know I always end up disappointed when I start thinking that.

Isnt that the thruth :) Though in General the mobile industry has gone a little bit boring. We always get our hopes up to later bring them down again ;)

I mean hardware end of things are pretty much finished. We have quad core, we have HD displays. We have phablets with styluses for drawing funny notes in meetings. So majority of focus I pressume from now will be just in software features. I cant see a huge amount of innovation taking place in hardware side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Microsoft will never win as their strategy seems to be based on reaction to competitors, rather than actually innovating themselves. We had the Zune, which did nothing to improve the Ipod, or other MP3 devices. Then we had the first Microsoft phone, the Kin, which turned out to be a disaster. Years after Apple came out with the Ipad, Microsoft release the surface tablet to a crowded market. Now, Windows Phone 8 is out, which really does little to separate it from the established Apple and Android platforms.

Even still, it's incredibly sneaky of Microsoft to talk about releasing their own device considering the contract they have with Nokia. Unlike Nokia, Microsoft have incredibly deep pockets and as we've seen, they will think nothing of cutting the legs from underneath their hardware partners to further their aims of making Windows Phone mainstream. We've seen this already as they look set to undercut their hardware partners by releasing a Surface tablet at near enough cost price. With Nokia now pretty much stuck with Windows Phone (Meego and Symbian are now too far behind their competitors at this stage), they are just going to have to suck it up and hope that a rising Windows Phone tide can raise their boat.

Microsoft have Nokia over a barrel, and there's nothing Nokia can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Itching to upgrade at the minute, but the price of the 920 (Or at least the prices that I've seen rumoured) are simply ridiculous. The 920 should be in the ~500 price range and the 820 lower again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

^eh hello! I thought this was phone thing was still just a rumour.

Microsoft will never win as their strategy seems to be based on reaction to competitors, rather than actually innovating themselves. We had the Zune, which did nothing to improve the Ipod, or other MP3 devices. Then we had the first Microsoft phone, the Kin, which turned out to be a disaster. Years after Apple came out with the Ipad, Microsoft release the surface tablet to a crowded market. Now, Windows Phone 8 is out, which really does little to separate it from the established Apple and Android platforms.

Even still, it's incredibly sneaky of Microsoft to talk about releasing their own device considering the contract they have with Nokia. Unlike Nokia, Microsoft have incredibly deep pockets and as we've seen, they will think nothing of cutting the legs from underneath their hardware partners to further their aims of making Windows Phone mainstream. We've seen this already as they look set to undercut their hardware partners by releasing a Surface tablet at near enough cost price. With Nokia now pretty much stuck with Windows Phone (Meego and Symbian are now too far behind their competitors at this stage), they are just going to have to suck it up and hope that a rising Windows Phone tide can raise their boat.

Microsoft have Nokia over a barrel, and there's nothing Nokia can do about it.

I thought this was still just a rumour. No real evidence to back it up at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

fits wrote: »
    ^eh hello! I thought this was phone thing was still just a rumour.
    It seems to be gone beyond a rumour at this stage, especially with Elop saying that the competition would be healthy.

http://techreport.com/news/23669/microsoft-phone-rumors-heat-up

• Advertisement

The Verge are suggesting that a Microsoft phone is jut a plan B in case other OEMs withdraw, which makes some sense:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/3/3445860/microsoft-surface-phone-rumors-windows-phone

No...

etc etc

I meant the Microsoft Phone (as opposed to Nokia)

It seems to be gone beyond a rumour at this stage, especially with Elop saying that the competition would be healthy.

http://techreport.com/news/23669/microsoft-phone-rumors-heat-up

Meh.. nothing concrete there. sure werent they buying nokia outright a while ago?

Itching to upgrade at the minute, but the price of the 920 (Or at least the prices that I've seen rumoured) are simply ridiculous. The 920 should be in the ~500 price range and the 820 lower again.

Why?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The Zune was meant to be a very good MP3 player from what I've heard. It was just too late to the game. The iPod had that market conquered and I can see dedicated MP3 players dying off as more people get smart phones. The Surface and WP8 do bring a lot to the table. The interface is great and in the tablet world the Windows brand name will have some sway combined with office being build in and the integration between their other products I wouldn't count Microsoft out. I remember when the original xbox was rumoured/announced people laughed at the thoughts of Microsoft going against the Japanese titans of the industry but look how that turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

stevenmu wrote: »
    Those concept renders look really nice. If they're going to do this though they'll need more of a hook than just a nice looking phone. There does seem to be a lot of secrecy around WP8, with these rumours now as well, I'm starting to get a bit excited and think they might have something really special up their sleeves. Even though I know I always end up disappointed when I start thinking that.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/1/3436922/windows-phone-8-sdk-developers-secret-features

Yeah it's way too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I don't think this is going to be an issue. Phones with specs comparable to the Lumia or the 8X will be mostly bought on contract and networks will be offering these models for free or nearly free as they do now with the S3 and iPhone.

You're also forgetting that it's not going to be an entirely new and unfamiliar platform since anyone with experience of Windows 8 will also be familiar with WP8 to a degree. The ecosystem that will develop for W8 will also grow the ecosystem on WP8.

As long as Nokia can make value of that 600 euro it isn't too expensive.

Ill pay a premium price for a product, as long as the hardware and software are premium.

Right now with my S3 I feel that the hardware is premium, build quality so,so. Software is very poor. Freezing, FC's and bla bla bla.

That's where 95% of Android phones lag. Quality software. Nexus line is great but the rest is just horrible.

Yeah, I saw that before. It does look like they're trying to keep some features secret, and I'd love there to be some surprise killer feature. But every time I think that's going to happen I get left disappointed. (but I'm sure I'll still get really excited coming up to the launch date anyway :))

Personally I don't think that the majority of consumers would really get the difference. They would know the iPhone and that Apple makes it, but I doubt most would know what Android or Windows Phone is. At best they would think in terms of manufacturers, i.e. a Samsung phone, a Nokia phone etc.

Maybe someone who works in a phone shop can confirm, but I'm willing to bet that relatively few people walk in and ask to see the latest Android phones. I'd bet that the majority of people ask them about whatever Samsung/HTC/Nokia phone their friend was showing them, or that they saw on TV.

What would sell well in that case is a nice looking handset, with nice looking accessories available, and that can do a good 3 minute demo. If the sales people in the store know the Lumia 920 well enough, I think it'll stand up pretty well against any Android phone in that case.

It definitely would help if it was cheaper, but I think it'll make a strong contender either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

Looks like AT&T are getting the 920 in November http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/nokia-lumia-920-820-atandt/

Ill be in the US in November...if I buy a 920 there will it work here. Are there several different models like the iphone5?

Griffinx wrote: »
    Looks like AT&T are getting the 920 in November http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/nokia-lumia-920-820-atandt/

Ill be in the US in November...if I buy a 920 there will it work here. Are there several different models like the iphone5?

Interesting question I would like to know the answer to myself. I'm not sure if you can have a phone that is capable of GSM and LTE?
    Also you may end up with some nasty AT&T branding and crapware on the phone?

EDIT: Another thing is I'm pretty sure AT&T won't sell a phone like that sim free. Its contract or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

so ifs november in U.S. then when the hell ireland will get it?

still 650eu is a huge price tag :(

Griffinx wrote: »

Also you may end up with some nasty AT&T branding and crapware on the phone?.

Crap ware on Windows Phone can be easily removed. It's not like Android where you can remove stuff.

Crap ware on Windows Phone can be easily removed. It's not like Android where you can remove stuff.

The USA phones will be locked to AT&T unfortunately

still 650eu is a huge price tag :(

50 squid cheaper in Italy

http://www.nstore.it/nokia-lumia-920-con-windows-phone-8.html

so ifs november in U.S. then when the hell ireland will get it?

IIRC The Lumia 800 didn't launch here until after Christmas

nokia ireland have already said on facebook that we'll have it before Christmas.

I'm pretty sure at the moment that the only thing holding up the sale of these phones at the moment is Microsoft with their cross-platform windows 8 launch. I'd say the phones will ship soon after.

• Advertisement

The HTC 8X and 8S are available for preorder with pricing on expansys.ie. The 8S is going for €295 ...considerably less than its One-S counterpart.

Advertisement