Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

kmart6 wrote: »
    It is unlocked. The speed of delivery will depend on the option you pay for. As for VAT they make it pretty clear on their site.

thanks you sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

jimmynokia wrote: »
    VAT is VAT .
    Maybe your employer could buy it for example to claim the vat.
    Factory unlocked,2 days shipping DPD.

ah I see the vat option now
    cool
    thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

^So its out this Wednesday....

hmmmmmmmmmm.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It goes from bad to worse. Not only have Nokia's Irish PR team gone into hiding, but they've also tried to delete all evidence that they announced a launch for last Friday.

Nokia would still have an exceptionally strong brand here from back in the early days when practically everyone had a Nokia. They could have launched here as the perfect example of how to recapture the market from Apple, but instead they've done the complete opposite and given a perfect example of how to screw up a launch and alienate your potential customers at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

mout wrote: »

With no fewer than 5 Windows phones! Lumia 920, 820, 620 and HTC 8x, 8s. That's how you do it.

Meanwhile, 3 (UK) have said that LTE will be offered as part of existing plans to its customers. If your handset supports LTE, you'll automatically get it, no new contract or plan. What are the chances that the Irish operators will be this nice?

Well we rang the local Vodafone stores after reading that blog post, and they haven't got the foggiest when the 920 is out.

"No word on when it is out, but we will let you know"

So we could be looking at another week of the same F*** up as last week, either that or VF staff are the last to know everything....

Or could be online only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

I rang as well and they asked if I was interested in a Blackberry instead.... err no. Any chance of HTC M7?? ;)

Maybe Vodafone is getting a sweet margin on the Blackberry or maybe they realise they are 6 months late with the 920 and don't want to put the effort in for a phone that's half way through its lifecycle.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

GUIGuy wrote: »
    I rang as well and they asked if I was interested in a Blackberry instead.... err no. Any chance of HTC M7?? ;)

Maybe Vodafone is getting a sweet margin on the Blackberry or maybe they realise they are 6 months late with the 920 and don't want to put the effort in for a phone that's half way through its lifecycle.

6mths? really? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well it was announced on the 5th September, so we've been "waiting" 5 months for it, and we are now in the "sixth month" :pac:

To be fair to Nokia, if it's released this week then that's only 3 months behind the bigger countries. The first iPhone was only released in Europe five months after it went on sale in the US. We've probably just been a little spoiled recently by getting new tech a couple of weeks behind the bigger markets.

However, I don't think it's too much to ask that the bloody thing actually goes on sale on the day that they say it will...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The danger now is that, if the rumours are true, we are only a short few weeks away from their new phones being announced at MWC. It will obviously be at least a few months before they're released here, but it's hard to splash out a lot of cash or sign up to a long term contract for a flagship phone that you have already seen the replacement for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

stevenmu wrote: »
    The danger now is that, if the rumours are true, we are only a short few weeks away from their new phones being announced at MWC. It will obviously be at least a few months before they're released here, but it's hard to splash out a lot of cash or sign up to a long term contract for a flagship phone that you have already seen the replacement for.

The 920 won't be replaced as such. It will be augmented with new models (supposedly the Aluminium covered one). The rumoured full Pureview device definitely won't supplant it

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Hi Guys

I can buy this phone for 500 euros vat free from handtec. Is it worth the price ? I'm going bonkers waiting for an irish network to have it on bill pay. thanks

medic087 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I can buy this phone for 500 euros vat free from handtec. Is it worth the price ? I'm going bonkers waiting for an irish network to have it on bill pay. thanks

Well i'd hang on another week just in case it actually does come out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

medic087 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

bite the bullet if you can afford it and want it, you could always be waiting another week if you just wait :P

bite the bullet if you can afford it and want it, you could always be waiting another week if you just wait :P

haha i might wait out till next week ;-p though i don't want to do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

PaulieC wrote: »
    The 920 won't be replaced as such. It will be augmented with new models (supposedly the Aluminium covered one). The rumoured full Pureview device definitely won't supplant it
    Maybe replaced is the wrong word, but it'll possibly be superceeded as the shiny new flagship. I'm not sure about an aluminium body, I think I'd prefer the composite, but a full sized pureview camera could be very tempting to a lot of people. The 808 generated a lot of interest.

Just bought it. Now to sell my iphone !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Can I ask what made you go for the 920 over iphone? Im thinking of it too or the 820 (currently have a blackberry bold 9900)

DonFred wrote: »
    Can I ask what made you go for the 920 over iphone? Im thinking of it too or the 820 (currently have a blackberry bold 9900)

I was a bit premature. My credit card transaction didn't go through cause aib thought it was suspicious for fraudulent activity. Maybe for the best anyway. I'll give Vodafone another two weeks. To answer your question I'm bored senseless with ios. I used to own a Lumia 800 before selling it and I was seriously impressed. The main reason I sold it was because the screen resolution was abysmal. When you're used to retina iphone screens 180 or thereabouts pixels per inch doesn't cut it. It drove me crazy when browsing the Web. Lumia 920 seems to solve these issues. Great hd screen. Higher ppi than iphone and like I said windows os is my favourite os.

• Advertisement

Screen resolution is the deal breaker for the 820. Otherwise it'd be perfection with removable battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

820 is half the price!! I seriously thinking of getting it as always had Nokia prior my Blackberry and like to give Win8 a go.

820 is half the price!! I seriously thinking of getting it as always had Nokia prior my Blackberry and like to give Win8 a go.

I've never actually seen the screen yet but I just know the low resolution on the 820 screen would bother me hugely . I've been spoiled with apples retina screens in the ipad and iphone.

Any one checking if its in stores today?

I'm at work, the missus will probably check later on today...could be evening time though with work and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Half price where?

Screen resolution is Ok. Its a lovely screen actually. Not highest detail screen, but colour reproduction is great. Blacks are black and colours don't feel white washed as they would in a Lcd screen.

Camera is not great though. Same as the 800. I belive Vodafone are also giving a red wireless charging shell

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Has anyone been able to get a wireless charger from a bricks and mortar shop?

Asked around Henry St. at the weekend and no shops had them in stock. Would prefer to get the stand rather than the plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

I know the Nokia care centre in Waterford has been selling the chargers since early January. So have you tried them? (Not the Waterford one, obviously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Half price where?

Screen resolution is Ok. Its a lovely screen actually. Not highest detail screen, but colour reproduction is great. Blacks are black and colours don't feel white washed as they would in a Lcd screen.

Camera is not great though. Same as the 800. I belive Vodafone are also giving a red wireless charging shell

Meteor have the 820 onsale now with a free charging plate

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

muff03 wrote: »
    I know the Nokia care centre in Waterford has been selling the chargers since early January. So have you tried them? (Not the Waterford one, obviously)

Thanks, I'll try a Dublin care centre.
    PaulieC wrote: »
    Meteor have the 820 onsale now with a free charging plate

Already have a phone (bought online) just want to pick up a charger. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, meteor is not selling pre pay 820? I am giving up on 920 as I hardly can justify 650eu for a mobile phone.
    Did they dropped price on 820 at least a bit?

Advertisement