Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

cunstunt wrote: »
    rang VF today with the intention of going to another network partly due to the lack of the 920 on their network when the guy told me they'll have it in a few weeks.....
    http://www.vodafone.ie/comingsoon/ to register your interest.....

never say never i guess! :)

sw

Of course he lied. Anything to keep you for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Except he didn't lie...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Any idea how I can leave Nokia feedback for this latest update? I'm sure they're aware of the issues, but its not gonna hurt to add my voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The Nokia Discussion boards I'd imagine, there could already be a thread about it there!

Any idea how I can leave Nokia feedback for this latest update? I'm sure they're aware of the issues, but its not gonna hurt to add my voice.

Settings -> Feedback to Nokia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

testicle wrote: »
    Settings -> Feedback to Nokia

I had a quick test of that earlier had it ask me if I'd recommend Nokia to a friend so I didn't bother with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Its been done several times.Myself included.

Now as we know MWC is here and its expected up to 4 lumias will be announced.

Again this topic has been discussed on NSD ,its getting the devices to market quickly that is key,and if its anything to go by the 920 well,you can figure out the rest.

I had a quick test of that earlier had it ask me if I'd recommend Nokia to a friend so I didn't bother with it.

Well give it a rating, then it'll ask you why.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

Has anyone who's got their hands on one so far got any reviews for us?

I'm considering changing back to Nokia after a couple of years with Apple, but am worried about a perceived lack of available apps (in particular my Sky apps for remote recording and viewing) on the Lumia 920. Anyone with experience of both able to compare them? Or even just give a general review of using the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Has anyone who's got their hands so far got any reviews for us?

I'm considering changing back to Nokia after a couple of years with Apple, but am worried about a perceived lack of available apps (in particular my Sky apps for remote recording and viewing) on the Lumia 920. Anyone with experience of both able to compare them? Or even just give a general review of using the phone?

Forget about sky. There is a third party app for remote record, sky news and that's it. Wouldn't expect anything else, seeing how long it took them to acknowledge android. It would be a year or so till they do something more on Windows Phone

Rest of apps are ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Has anyone who's got their hands on one so far got any reviews for us?

I picked one up in Thailand when it first came out! (Still cant believe Thailand got them months ahead of us)

I came across from an Nexus 4, The weight did strike me when I first starting using it. It is weighty. But you do get used to it quick. The size for me was offset by the Camera and wireless charging which I find it great. Walk in the door from work and throw is straight onto my Charging Cushion.

I love the nokia apps, especially the Transit app for Train/Bus schedules and directions to Bus stops. I live in New York which is fully supported for it. Couldn't live without Here Transit. Has been invaluable to me.

Generally all the Nokia Apps are good actually. All designed well and work as requested.

However. I do miss the support for apps which I took for granted. Twitter was just fixed yesterday. Fixed as in I now get notifications when I get a mention or retweet. Before that you wouldn't know if you got any tweet updates from twitter. Hit and miss. It's still missing some features from ios or Android. But it's alot better than it was.

Facebook app is okay. Just Okay. Pretty much the same story as the Twitter app.

I do miss Google support. A native Gmail App would be nice. But I can't see it coming. No instagram. They have photo filter apps but not on the scale of Instagram.

I've got Viber (Doesn't work well at all on Windows Phone, Well for myself anyway, constant crashes or just a bad line.) Whatsapp is good on it. Works the same as the ios or Android versions.

On Sky. I've got Sky Sports News and Sky News. Both decent apps. They're laid out well so no complaints. No Sky go. So if your looking to watch Sky Go in bed or on the train forget about it, I can't see it coming out in the next year either.

On apps generally I found. Once I installed the apps I wanted. There isn't much pulling me back into the App Store. Most Apps are generally of low quality. So many RSS Feeds passing off as Official Apps. Alot of alot of 2D apps.

I rarely play any games on it. Not much of a decent choice. I've installed a few and then deleted after one play. Again same issue. Generally low quality.

The apps I do have installed work really well with the phone, especially the Live Tiles. Tech sights like The Verge and Engadget have excellent Apps.

The camera is fantastic. I've had the S3/4s and Nexus 4 this year (I'm a constant phone switcher. Can't speak more highly about the Camera App. It just works. Excellent as every other Review has said in Low light.

Overall. I'm happy with the Phone generally. It works well. Yes I do miss the choice and quality of apps from IOS or Android. But I have all my core apps plus a few others. So I'm that put out. The Wireless Charging is great. And the Camera is the best I've had on a Phone without a doubt. So it's more of a personal choice to Switch. Hope this helps you a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

Thanks very much - that's a fantastic review.

Like you, I was a big phone switcher years ago and went as far as the Nokia N97 as I was a big Nokia fan. Once the iPhone 3G came out, I felt it was time to switch. Been hearing great things about the Lumia 920 and all the positives you've spoken about are exactly what I would be happy with.
    The apps remain my biggest issue. I have an iPad anyway so could keep watching Sky Go on that and if all comes to all, I could get my iPhone 4S jailbroken if I was really bothered.

My next problem - 3 are not releasing the 920 in Ireland so would need to change network!

Thanks again for the review - very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    On Sky. I've got Sky Sports News and Sky News. Both decent apps. They're laid out well so no complaints. No Sky go. So if your looking to watch Sky Go in bed or on the train forget about it, I can't see it coming out in the next year either.

I got mine on Day two here in the US.

I agree about the wireless charging. Sounds like a small thing if you dont have it but it changes your life.

Another one is the sensitivity of the touch screen. I head off to work at 6am so for a 2-3 months i'm wearing gloves every morning and its really nice not to have to take them off.

I have the SKy SPOrts app and its good. ESPN is pretty good too. I thought you had to have a UK Subscription to the SKy TV service to get Sky Go?

My bank is a small local bank (here in Seattle) so it still hasnt built an app yet which is a shame.

No fault of the phone but I've had a few Apps seriously abuse their live tiles by sucking battery life at an alarming rate. Its something to beware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

This is from an Car board I'm a member of in the US.

A first hand (well to me!) account of its ruggedness:
    Talking about this thing being solid, did a little "testing' over the weekend. Not on purpose though...

Was in Key West with my father and since we were with my old truck, wanted to get a photo of the truck in front of my friend's tattoo shop.
    Story short: I stepped out, phone flew on the road, skid on asphalt for 15 feet right on front to a big Chevy SUV and yes, got run over twice (left front & rear tires)...

I freaked out, went to get the phone which I was sure would've been in pieces but no, worked with no problems and besides a small nick on the top right corner, doesn't even have scratches (front, nor back), literally, not a single scratch!
    And I don't have any protective covers, screen protectors etc. on it.

I'd say it's a pretty solid phone indeed. :thumbup:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Fyi there is now a Game Boy Advance emulator on the market, VB8, it perfectly emulates the classics in full screen. I've been playing advance wars the last 24 hours ;-) the app selection is getting pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So, tomorrow is four weeks from the "launch", and aside from a small box full of 920's that O2 managed to get their hands on and sell, Nokia have failed to launch the 920 in Ireland.

Could this be the worst product launch in Irish history? I think even Steorn managed to deliver more than Nokia have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

It's a joke, reading WPCentral week to week, every country but us seems to be getting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

At this stage I think people would be better served waiting for the Galaxy IV. It'll probably be in stores here before the 920 is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Yup. Announced September 5th 2012. Gold dust in Ireland at the start of March 2013, unless you go sim free and order from the UK, which is hardly ideal for the mass market. Farce.

The Lumia 520 and 720 handsets have just been announced and will apparently be available in most markets at the start of April - let's see if Nokia can handle it. These are exceptionally well balanced and priced handsets, so availability should be the only limiting factor in getting these in the hands of the Irish people - will the networks support Nokia though?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Have been watining and monitoring lots of sites and discussion forums in the hope of getting a Nokia 920 - enough is enough - not watiing anymore - going to get an iphone 5 instead I think

• Advertisement

Lol are there people still out there that are holding out for it? guys just skip it. Your wasting your time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Lol are there people still out there that are holding out for it? guys just skip it. Your wasting your time.

Waiting for the Vodafone press release that they are vindicated in not stocking the 920 widely as since it's launch (01/02) they have not sold a single device causing it to be the least popular phone in their lineup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yeah I've given up on it totally. I don't know if I'll pick up one of the cheaper models or wait for next high end one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Where i work, all staff are getting a WP8 phone of their choice. Most people ordered a Lumia 920. Before Christmas. Still nothing, depite there being a supposed 8-week leadtime between order and delivery. It's a right shambles, with Elop admitting that they took the cautious route so they wouldn't end up with overstock, and that they are doing all they can to fill the channels and blah blah. While I really did want a 920, I'm not really that bothered now, except that it's free :p

stevenmu wrote: »

Yeah I've given up on it totally. I don't know if I'll pick up one of the cheaper models or wait for next high end one yet.

I gave up a long time ago and got a Note 2 instead. I've even had money set aside for it, but that went towards a new TV. So we'll done Nokia. It's always the little things that count and Nokia has missed those there. I've nothing against Windows Phone but what used to be a fan is now just a careful observer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robdabeaver

I recently acquired one from the UK and I am loving it generally. My main problem is getting videos to work when not on wifi, Im presuming its a data thing.

Anyone else having problems with youtube specifically on theirs?

I recently acquired one from the UK and I am loving it generally. My main problem is getting videos to work when not on wifi, Im presuming its a data thing.

Nope, no such problems with mine (mine is factory unlocked and on the meteor network)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Yes! I am, I keep getting " This video cannot play on your device." If i click on a link from Twitter for example. Drives me nuts. I'm factory unlocked and on 3mobile. But it's the same for me whether its Mobile Network or Wifi..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 loopylou042

Ordered 920 today will have tues as upgrade on Vodafone for €100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

VF on Grafton Street had details earlier. Apparently available since 2nd March and they may have stock in that store from this Tuesday. PAYG is € 569.99 and billpay ranges from free to € 250 depending on plan.

Advertisement