Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

If they can add a Xenon flash module to a CDMA phone, they can sure as hell add one to a GSM model.

But doesn't the Optical Image Stabilisation / lowlight performance using no flash clash with having Xenon flash? What use cases would this come in useful ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Queerdub wrote: »
    But doesn't the Optical Image Stabilisation / lowlight performance using no flash clash with having Xenon flash? What use cases would this come in useful ?
    If you're taking a picture of a moving target (a squirming baby, people out in the pub or at a restaurant, someone playing sports, etc.) then Xenon flash will capture the shot perfectly without motion blur. The flash itself is much more powerful, so you will get much better illumination, less noise, etc.

drinkcomp.jpg

This is a comparison of the Nokia Pureview 808 (with Xenon flash) with the Lumia 920. By all accounts, we are going to see some kind of Lumia with Pureview 808 optics at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Jesus you could of used another sample other than steve bloody litchfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Jesus you could of used another sample other than steve bloody litchfield

Steve aint no oil painting alright but his reviews are always a good read.
    His latest camera review does the L920 no favours whatsoever.
    My sister bought one last week on gumtree and isnt overly happy with it, prob hasnt got the portico update though.
    The camera on it aint a patch on my N8, apart from low light no flash shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

lolie wrote: »
    The camera on it aint a patch on my N8, apart from low light no flash shots
    In fairness, there isn't a camera phone out at the moment that is better than the three year old N8, sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

In fairness, there isn't a camera phone out at the moment that is better than the three year old N8, sad really.
    Pretty sure the Pureview is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kmart6 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the Pureview is!

For quick point and shoot for the average user the N8 would still be fairly competitive compared with the pureview.

Just checked out the Sisters L920 earlier and seems it has Portico on it.
    Take to ois out of the camera and its no better than the camera on the N86 from four years ago.
    For all its good points the L920 falls short in many areas, hopefully the rumoured EOS is a big step forward.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

lolie wrote: »
    Just checked out the Sisters L920 earlier and seems it has Portico on it.
    Take to ois out of the camera and its no better than the camera on the N86 from four years ago.
    For all its good points the L920 falls short in many areas, hopefully the rumoured EOS is a big step forward.

What are the many area's you feel it falls short in? Where you using the camera in full on darkness or taking daytime shots, I've heard the improvements are pretty much only night shots and video.

Dont get me wrong liamog it has plenty of things going for it but for me its the lack of sd card slot, tv out, fm transmitter, proper multitasking and i find the tiles a bit boring.
    Checking out the camera earlier the pics lack a fair bit of detail compared to the n8, but thats probably down to the size of the sensor.
    But the ois in the video is a pretty neat job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Lumia 820 was fine for a long time, last couple of weeks the battery has been absolutely shocking. Off charge at 6am, some Xbox Music for about 30 minutes then daily emails and some texting and it's down to 60% by 10am. I put it into battery saver and put it aside, sending the odd quick text and now at 12:15am it's down to 37%.
    Find my phone is off, location is off and most apps are disabled in the background. I had a similar problem with my 800, it's really starting to bother me, I can't make it to 5pm on a single charge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

After it auto shut's down due to battery, can you switch it back on? might take a couple of goes... the battery might be in need a calibration.

Any new apps or updates since you noticed the depletion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

820 is working fine still after 2 weeks, received the free wireless charger yesterday, working great :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

The wife got one today. I must say I like it...one question that maybe someone here can help with....whats the best way of transferrnig contacts from a Nokia C7?. They've been backed up on the laptop using OVI suite, how would we get them onto the new device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

giftgrub wrote: »
    The wife got one today. I must say I like it...one question that maybe someone here can help with....whats the best way of transferrnig contacts from a Nokia C7?. They've been backed up on the laptop using OVI suite, how would we get them onto the new device?

Using skydrive on both phones should be the handiest. Not 100% if the C7 got it, but others on the range got the update so it should be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

unkel wrote: »
    820 is working fine still after 2 weeks, received the free wireless charger yesterday, working great :cool:

Ditto. I had a HTC 8X and there were nothing but freezes, power offs etc. The 820, in comparison, has been much, much better with nary an issue since I got it about a fortnight ago. Just waiting on my wireless charger now!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

giftgrub wrote: »

Another option would be through bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

Best way to transfer from older Nokia phone is to download Transfer my data application on the Lumia 920 via the Nokia Collection, and this will connect via bluetooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There was a pretty big update last night but I have no idea what was updated.

Anyone know? I've been looking for details and all I can find is that they've fixed the Auto Brightness. Oh and you can now clear the cache.

Anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

just a firmware update I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Was in a vodafone store yesterday and held one of these. It seems very large and bulky in comparison to my HTC 8x. From images that I've seen I was expecting it to be much smaller, lighter & thinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Caliden wrote: »
    Was in a vodafone store yesterday and held one of these. It seems very large and bulky in comparison to my HTC 8x. From images that I've seen I was expecting it to be much smaller, lighter & thinner.

Have you not read any reviews with those pics. Everyone of them said it was exactly that. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

TBH I don't think it is that heavy and bulky, I moved from a Titan to the 920 and while it is heavier, I think the weight is more evenly distributed that I don't actually notice it, it just feels right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Have you not read any reviews with those pics. Everyone of them said it was exactly that. :-)

Well I'm going off my own experience of owning a HTC 8x which is narrower, thinner and lighter by about 55 grams. The form of the phone is alot different alot and is bevelled better in my opinion. You can take that as my review ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Caliden wrote: »
    Well I'm going off my own experience of owning a HTC 8x which is narrower, thinner and lighter by about 55 grams. The form of the phone is alot different alot and is bevelled better in my opinion. You can take that as my review ;)

I know that :) I still would never touch the 8X, even though its pretty, the angles of it are so sharp it hurts your hand after a long time holding it in hand, especially when playing games.

Screen on it is terrible, washed out blacks, mediocre camera. I wont deny the design aspect, though id rather have a bulkier phone that it rounded and fits into your hand without trying to slice it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Major software upgrade this morning. Anybody know what it was / what's changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Androidlovers

Battery backup is pretty ok,mine will survive for 3 days atleast,but it always depends on how much you use the phone.

Anybody else having the proximity sensor issue?! I basically haven't been able to hang up a call for 2/3 days and it has gone beyond frustrating!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Anybody else having the proximity sensor issue?! I basically haven't been able to hang up a call for 2/3 days and it has gone beyond frustrating!

I don't know what the proximity sensor issue is, never heard of it...but no. Is it an issue only nokia can fix?

• Advertisement

Basically the positioning has meant that any dust that enters the speaker or around the top bevel fools the sensor into believing you have it held yo your face, so when you take it away you has no access to on screen functions, i.e. Dial a number, end the call etc...

They have said the next update will fix it but since that was only getting rolled out for AT&T in the US and has been pulled since due to it creating connectivity issues it will more than likely be awhile before it gets here.

Serious design flaw IMO!

Advertisement