Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Any idea how much this phone is likely to be on a reasonable monthly plan with the cheaper carriers like emobile or meteor, say an 18 month contract at around 30-40 euros a month?

Not sure why but I really want one...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rickyjb wrote: »
    Any idea how much this phone is likely to be on a reasonable monthly plan with the cheaper carriers like emobile or meteor, say an 18 month contract at around 30-40 euros a month?

Not sure why but I really want one...

It's price is similar to the Galaxy S3 so what ever that costs on the contract, the 920 would probably be close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

Just wondering what colour everyone would get if they were getting the 920: black, grey, white, red or yellow. I think I'd go for red or yellow because I'm sick of every phone out there being black or white only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

niallharty wrote: »
    Just wondering what colour everyone would get if they were getting the 920: black, grey, white, red or yellow. I think I'd go for red or yellow because I'm sick of every phone out there being black or white only

Red yellow white Black. In that order :-) red or yellow depending what it looks in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Love the look of the cyan but by all accounts it won't be immediately available in Europe. In that case it looks like grey for me. I think it will go well with almost any colour theme and I would prefer the matte finish to the glossy. Might change my mind when I see them in real life though!

Photos-of-Grey-Nokia-Lumia-920-Emerge-Online-3.jpg?1348815546

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

+1, was just going to post that. Matt cyan would be the ideal I think, red and yellow are pretty nice too, but out of the likely available ones, matt grey does it most for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Matte grey was the one i had my eye on too, you've good taste :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I have the Cyan lumia 800 and love the colour so I'm 99% sure my 920 will be Cyan too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Does anybody know if we will be able to buy the 920 unlocked in Ireland? When?

Anyone know for definite whether you'll be able to drag and drop files on to this, or will you need to use some ridiculous microsoft software to add music?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

iPhone use iTunes, Windows phone use Zune. Can't see any reason they'll change that.

Anyone know for definite whether you'll be able to drag and drop files on to this, or will you need to use some ridiculous microsoft software to add music?
    No one knows cause they haven't announced it yet. They will reveal all soon

WPCentral are saying 100% yes that you can drag and drop

http://www.wpcentral.com/does-windows-phone-8-have-usb-mass-storage-support-course-it-does

Windows Phone Daily are saying the same
    http://www.windowsphonedaily.com/2012/07/rumor-windows-phone-8-supports-usb-mass.html

Still we'll have to wait till the 29th to know for sure. Also its pretty much known that Zune will be replaced.

The rumour is that you'll be able to drag and drop files to the SD card if you have one installed, but like evolutionqy7 says, we don't know much/anything for sure yet.

I was under the impression it would be managed by the new xbox music and will similar to Zune music. Havent used Zune software in ages so not sure if they had done away with their syncing system that was similar to iTunes?

I was under the impression it would be managed by the new xbox music and will similar to Zune music. Havent used Zune software in ages so not sure if they had done away with their syncing system that was similar to iTunes?

It's not that bad once you get used to it. Makes it a lot simpler tbh. Zune plays random music for me and then I just click on sync on what I like and it's in my phone.

It definitely makes handling simpler.

It's a pain for me. I rarely listen to music on my PC/laptop, so Zune exists purely for copying music over, which would be much easier if I could just pick folders and drag and drop them. I can see how Zune would be useful if you were using it anyway for listening, and building up playlists etc that you want to sync, but if you're not using it then it becomes an extra step in the process.

It's still way better than iTunes, at least it doesn't keep hijacking/moving/renaming my music, but it would be better still to just not use it.

Things like iTunes and Zune are mainly useful for fixing the tag database and building up other data from your playing history. Theres usually no way of doing that with drop and drag.

BostonB wrote: »
    Things like iTunes and Zune are mainly useful for fixing the tag database and building up other data from your playing history. Theres usually no way of doing that with drop and drag.

There are a lot of ways of doing this via your pc/laptop with programs that don't require everything to be synced. Once your folders are correct you just drag and drop the music, simple. Or why not just have a music player that can play from folders? Zune would be a pain if that's the only way you can copy music on to your phone.

stevenmu wrote: »
    The rumour is that you'll be able to drag and drop files to the SD card if you have one installed, but like evolutionqy7 says, we don't know much/anything for sure yet.

I was under the impression that you couldn't put a micro SDHC card into the 920, only the 820? Maybe I'm wrong as this would make no sense, giving the 820 more storage capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If there's an SD slot on either of them, I'm sold. Only sticking with iPhone because on the 64gb on storage space.

There are a lot of ways of doing this via your pc/laptop with programs that don't require everything to be synced. Once your folders are correct you just drag and drop the music, simple. Or why not just have a music player that can play from folders? Zune would be a pain if that's the only way you can copy music on to your phone.

Drag and drop generally refers to not using other programs. Though be aware being pedantic about your actually referring to USB MSC or UMS. As you can being technical about it, drag and drop things into iTunes and similar programs and many companies call that drag and drop to confuse the issue.

How else can you get historical playback and rating and other information back from the player if the data is not synced back? Thats the main reason for it.

Its a personal choice, its not right/wrong decision. Some people like all the extra features having a database and tagging give you. Some people don't.

If there's an SD slot on either of them, I'm sold. Only sticking with iPhone because on the 64gb on storage space.

Its already been fully confirmed the 820 will have take sd cards and 920 won't. 920 has 32gb though which will probably be enough for most people

Its already been fully confirmed the 820 will have take sd cards and 920 won't. 920 has 32gb though which will probably be enough for most people

As far as things go both the 820 and the Ativ-S should support 64GB Micro SD cards.

As far as things go both the 820 and the Ativ-S should support 64GB Micro SD cards.

Yep thats right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ChoralClam

I always find it bizarre people still wanting masses of storage. People should be synching their phones weekly if not daily.
    Use Cloud and streaming services more. I'm a heavy user and rarely go over 8-16GB in use. Although I do only keep about 6GB of music, I use spotify most of the time instead.

ChoralClam wrote: »

I always find it bizarre people still wanting of storage. People should be synching their phones weekly if not daily.
    Use Cloud and streaming services more. I'm a heavy user and rarely go over 8-16GB in use. Although I do only keep about 6GB of music, I use spotify most of the time instead.

People like to have options. It's better to have more storage than not enough. Phone arena did a poll not too long ago. Most of phone arena readers had more than 32GB storage

Average folks would find 16 to be more than enough. I find 32GB perfect and 16 sliglimited limited

I always find it bizarre people still wanting masses of storage. People should be synching their phones weekly if not daily.

I find my internet and 3G connection just too glitchy to really enjoy streamed music.. Besides which a lot of the stuff I listen to isn't on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ChoralClam

I find my internet and 3G connection just too glitchy to really enjoy streamed music.. Besides which a lot of the stuff I listen to isn't on it.

even without streaming. I connect my phone to my laptop daily and synch over any music/ photos i want but i guess option is better than nothing and given size of the likes of the 920 it must have room for it somewhere in that bulk

• Advertisement

I don't really have time for that. Even if I did it would be painfully slow for GB's of music. Besides if a €40 MP3 player or phone can have a card slot I don't see why a €400+ phone can't. Its just a means of locking down music transfer for no good reason.

stevenmu just posted a link in another thread which confirms and demo's drag and drop.

http://wmpoweruser.com/drag-and-drop-file-management-demoed-in-windows-phone-8/#more-79862

I wonder will they roll that back into older devices?

I wonder will they roll that back into older devices?

There's no real info as to what will be in 7.8 yet. Hopefully we'll know more after the 29th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

AntiVirus wrote: »
    There's no real info as to what will be in 7.8 yet. Hopefully we'll know more after the 29th

I think it's basically the new homescreen, and a few other improvements.

Pretty stupid that the cheaper phone will have more than double the storage capacity, not very smart Nokia.

Some people don't enjoy constantly swapping music across devices, I have about 30GB of music alone on my N8 (I use the SD card just for music and it's full). I don't see why I should have to cut this down if I buy an expensive new phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Pretty stupid that the cheaper phone will have more than double the storage capacity, not very smart Nokia.

I think that by limiting storage options on these phones, and not emphasising total GB, Nokia and Microsoft are really trying to push the cloud / streaming agenda. It's a shame we don't yet have Zune / XBOX music here in Ireland. But I like streaming. By cutting the internal storage on the cheaper 820 and providing a MicroSD slot, Nokia can save on costs and let the user pay for the storage they need. Honestly though, 32GB is pretty huge for a phone unless you're planning on bringing a huge music collection and lots of video with you.
    Some people don't enjoy constantly swapping music across devices, I have about 30GB of music alone on my N8 (I use the SD card just for music and it's full). I don't see why I should have to cut this down if I buy an expensive new phone.

Again, I think the future is streaming / cloud storage. I've been actively using Skydrive with my HD7 for the last year, and as a result I'm not bothered about having anything more than 16GB storage on my phone. I keep all my photos (both from my phone and copies from my proper camera) on skydrive, so nothing is stored locally on my HD7. I keep a small music collection on my phone, with the rest of it on the server at home. I stream more and more music with the likes of Mixtapes and TuneIn Radio.

In other words, I think that the more you "think cloud" then the less you rely on local storage and limits. Even with just 1GB of mobile data on my plan, this works great for me. Different folks, though.

Xbox Music is available in Ireland and it will be there for WP8.

I'm using it now on my windows 8 pc and Xbox

I think that by limiting storage options on these phones, and not emphasising total GB, Nokia and Microsoft are really trying to push the cloud / streaming agenda. It's a shame we don't yet have Zune / XBOX music here in Ireland. But I like streaming. By cutting the internal storage on the cheaper 820 and providing a MicroSD slot, Nokia can save on costs and let the user pay for the storage they need. Honestly though, 32GB is pretty huge for a phone unless you're planning on bringing a huge music collection and lots of video with you.

Again, I think the future is streaming / cloud storage. I've been actively using Skydrive with my HD7 for the last year, and as a result I'm not bothered about having anything more than 16GB storage on my phone. I keep all my photos (both from my phone and copies from my proper camera) on skydrive, so nothing is stored locally on my HD7. I keep a small music collection on my phone, with the rest of it on the server at home. I stream more and more music with the likes of Mixtapes and TuneIn Radio.

In other words, I think that the more you "think cloud" then the less you rely on local storage and limits. Even with just 1GB of mobile data on my plan, this works great for me. Different folks, though.

I can see where you're coming from but using that system if you want to listen to a song without it stopping you need good 3G coverage? Good luck with that. And you can only listen to max 1GB of songs per month? That's assuming you don't use your data allowance for anything else. What about if someone has lossless audio files, that's pretty much out the window. Local files > streaming music in my opinion, at least until dowload speeds and allowances increase beyond these constraints, which could be a while in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

It's a shame we don't yet have Zune / XBOX music here in Ireland.

Yeah, we do. Since yesterday. It's the bee's knees! Albums that came out today are on it, and available for purchase (cheaper than iTunes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So.... Should there be some news on win 8 and 920 tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

So.... Should there be some news on win 8 and 920 tomorrow?

Yeah, tomorrow's the launch of WP8... might not get anything new on the Lumia though

Yeah, tomorrow's the launch of WP8... might not get anything new on the Lumia though[/Quot

Hopefully a release date!

Yeah, tomorrow's the launch of WP8... might not get anything new on the Lumia though

That was a really stupid move. Do a show off of the phone and then wait 2 months of its release... Apple are dicks, but at least they release their items in a week or two after showcase.

I wonder how long after that will we see 820/920 in the shops here.

I wonder how long after that will we see 820/920 in the shops here.

I don't see any carriers in Ireland even having 920/820 as " coming soon ", which really does not give much confidence...

That was a really stupid move. Do a show off of the phone and then wait 2 months of its release... Apple are dicks, but at least they release their items in a week or two after showcase.

Sorry but not up to Nokia. They have to follow MS. I think they did what they could.....showcase what they had around the same time apple did the 5. Anybody who follows such things would know that the 920 easily beats the 5.

I accept that this does not apply to the average consumer, but it's about convincing the knowledgeable first and working from there.

obriea3 wrote: »
    Sorry but not up to Nokia. They have to follow MS. I think they did what they could.....showcase what they had around the same time apple did the 5. Anybody who follows such things would know that the 920 easily beats the 5.

I accept that this does not apply to the average consumer, but it's about convincing the knowledgeable first and working from there.

Agree, it was not up to Nokia, but it was still annoying. It's still is!!! Nokiabetter announce tomorrow that 920 is released on Tuesday :)

I don't see any carriers in Ireland even having 920/820 as " coming soon ", which really does not give much confidence...

None of them ever brings up coming soon unless it's an iPhone.

Seen the 8X on o2's list. I really hope the 920 wont be a Vodafone exclusive in the start. That would really hurt it's start

None of them ever brings up coming soon unless it's an iPhone.

Seen the 8X on o2's list. I really hope the 920 wont be a Vodafone exclusive in the start. That would really hurt it's start

You think they could pull off such stunt?

You think they could pull off such stunt?

Vodafone has bought out exclusivity for handsets before. I'm sure it's possible.

Nokia isn't in a very negotiable seat right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement