Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Do these charging plates work through phone covers? I'm guessing not?

depends on the cover, but yes, they can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I use one of Nokia's CC-1043 covers and the wireless charging works well through that.

I like the wireless charging, it's convenient and nice to use. I have a plate in my sitting room I can just drop the phone on, and if I need it for a quick call or text I can easily pick it up, do that and put it back down again without having to worry about how long the charger cable is or plugging it out and back in again.

It's not really revolutionary though in fairness. I think for it to be really useful the charging plates would need to be more ubiquitous, if I had one built into the sofa, one in the coffee table, one in the kitchen counter, one in my bedside locker, and if they were common in cafes and restaurants etc, then it would be an amazing feature.

FWIW I also have a HP Touchpad with the Touchstone charger, and in some ways that's more useful. The Touchpad can basically live on the Touchstone, and I use it as a digital clock or photo frame, then I can pick it up to use as a tablet and drop it back when I'm done. I never have to think about plugging it in to anything or charging it. It's always fully powered and ready to go. It's not quite as good with the phone because you always want the phone within arms reach wherever you sit or whatever room you are in.

Overall, I do love the wireless charging, but I wouldn't hugely miss it if it wasn't there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

PaulieC wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you keep posting on something which you've admitted you don't understand (wireless charging from a laptop anyone ?).
    Oh I understand the 'wireless' charging. What I don't understand is some peoples beliefs that this is in any way more convenient.
    *snort*(wireless charging from a laptop anyone?) *chortle*
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57578054-37/apple-patent-envisions-wireless-charging-on-convertible-laptop/
    Yes, this is something that is being patented and does sound convenient, but if you insist on being snide, and just incase this is all too inane for you, I'll dumb it down a shade.
    A fool and his money are easily parted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

..zing :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭Stiletto72

I can't remember ever fumbling around in the dark trying to find a cable to charge my phone, I usually just turn a light on if it's dark and I can't find what I'm looking for.
    I'll give it a miss. Best of luck to those who want one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Mine was free actually. And a patent application does not equal reality. But you're right, you not wanting a wireless charger does make it stupid for me to have one and I am a fool for enjoying its convenience.

Mine was free actually. And a patent application does not equal reality. But you're right, you not wanting a wireless charger does make it stupid for me to have one and I am a fool for enjoying its convenience.

Who is calling you a fool? Who said anything about being stupid?
    You got it for free, fair enough. You are enjoying the experience and good luck to you.
    Why read something into a people having a contrary opinion to yours?

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    Who is calling you a fool? Who said anything about being stupid?
    You got it for free, fair enough. You are enjoying the experience and good luck to you.
    Why read something into a people having a contrary opinion to yours?

that was in reply to dingdong actually, not you. Apologies, I should have quoted the specific post.

that was in reply to dingdong actually, not you. Apologies, I should have quoted the specific post.

Apology accepted.
    I thought we were just having a conversation here......

I guess we were, but these things sometimes take a wrong turn :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

And a patent application does not equal reality.

No, it doesn't, but we've both seen first hand that this technology does exist.
    Incorporating it into a laptop shell, or even the body, wouldn't take too much work, and that is a convenience I would pay good money for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Is the 920 a standard pan-European model?

Looking at possibly picking it up on Amazon Italia, but wanna make sure there are no regional quirks or other unforeseen variables which would render it problematic for use in Ireland.

http://www.amazon.it/Nokia-Lumia-Smartphone-Bianco-Italia/dp/B00CAW2K9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384269150&sr=8-1&keywords=nokia+lumia+920

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Is the 920 a standard pan-European model?

Looking at possibly picking it up on Amazon Italia, but wanna make sure there are no regional quirks or other unforeseen variables which would render it problematic for use in Ireland.

http://www.amazon.it/Nokia-Lumia-Smartphone-Bianco-Italia/dp/B00CAW2K9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384269150&sr=8-1&keywords=nokia+lumia+920

I bought one from Amazon uk and it turned out to be an Italian model and works grand on eMobile.

Phone arrived couple of days ago & I'm mightily impressed.

The handset feels solid & the OS has quite a natural flow to it, which makes the migration from Android a real pleasure. Couple of teething issues though, naturally enough. Would anyone know if I'm running the latest s/w, based on the info in pics 1 & 2 below? I do have Radio functionality, which seems to indicate it's running Amber at least.

Phone was purchased unlocked from Amazon.it & using it on Tesco mobile.

h3Dhpqnl.jpg?1

ahpM5Lrl.jpg?1

One slight gripe I have at the moment is kinda superficial, but I'd imagine it's important to many folks - I can't customise either text, email or alarm tones by adding my own files, but I can with the ringtone. I see GDR3 may fix that issue but is that available for download?

Any tips or suggestions much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Phone arrived couple of days ago & I'm mightily impressed.

The handset feels solid & the OS has quite a natural flow to it, which makes the migration from Android a real pleasure. Couple of teething issues though, naturally enough. Would anyone know if I'm running the latest s/w, based on the info in pics 1 & 2 below? I do have Radio functionality, which seems to indicate it's running Amber at least.

h3Dhpqnl.jpg?1

ahpM5Lrl.jpg?1

One slight gripe I have at the moment is kinda superficial, but I'd imagine it's important to many folks - I can't customise either text, email or alarm tones by adding my own files, but I can with the ringtone. I see GDR3 may fix that issue but is that available for download?

Any tips or suggestions much appreciated.

s?appId=178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2013/10/14/announcing-our-third-windows-phone-8-update-plus-a-new-developer-preview-program.aspx

GDR3 will give custom tones,sign up above and use this where this feature is there.

Thanks for that Jimmy, will follow this up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I've just purchased a couple more of these from Amazon.it, these will make great Christmas presents at a great price :D Can you tell me how long it took to arrive? and also did they supply the euro plug or uk plug?

Thanks! :)

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I've just purchased a couple more of these from Amazon.it, these will make great Christmas presents at a great price :D Can you tell me how long it took to arrive? and also did they supply the euro plug or uk plug?

They will have euro plug.

AntiVirus wrote: »

Dispatched on 19th Nov. & delivered on the 25th, a day earlier than the Amazon estimate. Fastway delivered it btw.

Standard 2-pin Euro plug, as jimmy said above.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jimmynokia and Yamanoto! My 2 where dispatched this morning with UPS so they could be here by Friday, gives me plenty of time to set them up :)

This is the video tutorial I used to update to GDR3.

You first sign up for a developer a/c at apps studio, then download the Preview for Developers app & it's all straightforward from there.

http://apps.windowsstore.com/default.htm

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/preview-for-developers/178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just to let you guys know that Lumia Black is being released for the 920 (and 820) as of this evening

Just downloaded and installed fine on my unlocked AT&T handset with the French generic ROM but lots of reports on the above link of it coming through on others too :)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know that Lumia Black is being released for the 920 (and 820) as of this evening

Just downloaded and installed fine on my unlocked AT&T handset with the French generic ROM but lots of reports on the above link of it coming through on others too :)

Here's a better link as to who can and can't get it now.

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

Glance screen reminds me of Symbian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

g0g wrote: »
    Glance screen reminds me of Symbian!
    Does the Glance screen stay on all the time for everyone - even when it is set to 'Peek'?
    Also, I don't seem to have the options to say which app notifications are displayed on Glance - the phone says that I have the Black update installed as well as GDR3.

EDITAh - the Glance screen always staying on was because I had the "Always stay on when charging" option on. I still can't find the option to say which app notifications should be displayed on glance, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

I wonder maybe if it is set to display the same info as the screenlock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

g0g wrote: »
    I wonder maybe if it is set to display the same info as the screenlock?

Yep seems that way. I haven't found any way to customise it separately myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I just got the Black update, does the beamer app work with the 920? It won't let me download the app, it gives a vague, it could be your country, provider or model of phone, excuse.

The glace feature is pretty cool though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

ScumLord wrote: »
    I just got the Black update, does the beamer app work with the 920? It won't let me download the app, it gives a vague, it could be your country, provider or model of phone, excuse.

The glace feature is pretty cool though.

It should work fine on the 920, just downloaded it for my 820 and it works.

Might be an issue with the store, try again in a few hours?

Advertisement