Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 920

1394041424345»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

DeepBlue wrote: »
    How long is the battery life on the 920 assuming you have light usage with wifi turned off?

WiFi turned off can sometimes lead to lower battery life than WiFi turned on, if you have WiFi you can use nearby.

Don't know the answer to your question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I remember reading that the quality of mobile phone signal is hugely important in battery life, the stronger the signal, the less the phone is hunting etc. Therefore, having the phone sitting on a desk is usually better than buried in your pocket. Also, the use of the large bright screens also depletes batteries quickly, having a lower idle screen / lock screen timeout is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

TBi wrote: »
    In fairness it's a hard question to answer as I guess it all depends on usage. I guess my question really would be if it's possible to get 48 hours out of this phone on minimal usage i.e. basically just on standby. That would really be my minimum requirement from a mobile phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

TBi wrote: »
    WiFi turned off can sometimes lead to lower battery life than WiFi turned on, if you have WiFi you can use nearby.

absolutely. Since wp was updated with support for staying connected to a WiFi network when in standby my battery life massively increased. This was due to the 3g signal being weak enough where i live, so the phone had to work that much harder to connect to data in standby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

In fairness it's a hard question to answer as I guess it all depends on usage. I guess my question really would be if it's possible to get 48 hours out of this phone on minimal usage i.e. basically just on standby. That would really be my minimum requirement from a mobile phone.

I wouldn't say it would get 48 hours, even with minimal use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Lumia 920 arrived this morning, see here..

Steal at that price. Coming from a S2 so will take a bit of getting used to WP but like it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I guess my question really would be if it's possible to get 48 hours out of this phone on minimal usage i.e. basically just on standby. That would really be my minimum requirement from a mobile phone.

I've left the phone at home on standby for up to 5 days, as when I'm away all calls route through my Motorola for work.

The official numbers give it a maximum of 19 days standby time, which is probably pushing it methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

I got a HTC One from Vodafone as part of renewing my contact and now have a 3 SIM card in my unlocked 920... Battery life is miles better on the Nokia, I've gotten 6 days from it without charging it, even then it was at 40%, I do have battery saver constantly on, Wi-Fi is always connected as it is sitting at home mainly...

I told myself I'd give the One a month to wow me or even grow in me and as I'm almost at the end of that month, it's looking like I'll be back to the 920 as I find it miles better for what I want from a phone... 8.1 almost makes it my perfect phone once it arrives.

I've genuinely tried to like the One/Android and the only thing left for me to do is stick Cyanogen on it, which will happen next week... I still much prefer Windows Phone as it generally just works better... Some pros and cons for both of course but 8.1 looks to to the scales massively ��

The app gap is a false medium as I find I much preferred browsing websites in desktop mode than using the apps available on Android... Fair enough, you can't get an official version of Candy Crush (I much prefer Bejewelled anyway) or the likes of tv players here yet, but on the other hand, I greatly miss Nokia's Maps, wireless charging in the car while driving around the country and even Nokia Mixradio. Nokia's Glance screen alone would be enough to top the scale for me regarding apps atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

So bar a few fiddly things ive noticed with Windows OS after a couple of days I am generally getting used to the windows phone OS. Have got most the apps recommended in the WP thread. Biggest issue so far for me is lack of swiftkey, so hopefully Microsoft open up a Keyboard API.

Hardware wise it is streets ahead of the S2. Feels like a much better built phone. The earpiece and mic are so much clearer than the S2 that I actually thought I had it on speaker when I first made a call on it. Camera apps from Nokia are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Windows Phone 8.1 seems to have something similar to Swype, the functionality is still alittle bit of a mystery... Build is on next month and that's normally when Microsoft releases its next versions of OS's... Should be able to download wp 8.1 shortly afterwards with a free developer type license.

http://m.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81

• Advertisement
Advertisement